Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Poker Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The general rule is that amateurs tend to lose more money playing with bigger pocket pairs because they can't bet the proper amount to win these pots, and they can't fold the hands. When people get cute with their big pairs and big hands, they sometimes let in other hands and get outdrawn. No matter what, on any given draw, it is possible for any hand to beat any other.



    I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
      Doyle likes playing big pocket pairs, but he says that you have to play them aggressively in a cash game (Doyle's preferred medium) because if you don't play them strongly, you have a tendency to lose a big pot. Doyle would rather win a small pot than lose a big one. I think that's apt philosophy. Of course, any person would rather win a big pot any day...
      Yeah, that is a good philosophy.

      I have a very bad history with pocket rockets, and most of that was because I was playing them slow.

      Comment


      • My rule with rockets is that when I limp with them and don't hit a piece, I will often release them against a scary board or if I make a read. Of course, if I hit a huge chunk, I will immediately play them for value. My main rule is that after second preflop position (#4 overall), I will not limp with A's or K's. It's just dumb to get too cute with them. I'd rather take a small pot or play then heads up or against 2 other players than risk it.



        I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
          My rule with rockets is that when I limp with them and don't hit a piece, I will often release them against a scary board or if I make a read. Of course, if I hit a huge chunk, I will immediately play them for value. My main rule is that after second preflop position (#4 overall), I will not limp with A's or K's. It's just dumb to get too cute with them. I'd rather take a small pot or play then heads up or against 2 other players than risk it.
          What if you are playing against VERY loose players, that will call big bets with 3 6 off-suit of something like that?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Acreboy View Post
            I have yet to find a place to discuss poker with anyone.

            Hopefully we can discuss it here.

            Here we can talk about the WSOP, WPT, PPT, and any other poker tourney's.

            Share secrets, bad beats you got, bad beats you gave, home games, strategy's, etc.

            Lets get this thing going.
            www.twoplustwo.com
            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
            Hunter S. Thompson

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MaxV View Post
              What if you are playing against VERY loose players, that will call big bets with 3 6 off-suit of something like that?
              Well, there are loose callers and loose raisers. If you have a very loose and aggressive raiser in an unopened pot, you can try to limp and reraise, but I find it's best with bigger hands to get the money in the pot and chase out a lot of the garbage ahead of time. Again, with a larger pair, you don't want more than 2 other people in the hand with you. If you just limp, the other people can call, then you run the risk of getting outflopped. If someone is dumb enough to call 4-5x the BB with 3-6os, they'd better get very lucky or have amazing instincts, or they're going to go broke very quickly.



              I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

              Comment


              • Tonight I have a 100+10 tournament to go to in my neighborhood. From what i've heard the players are terrible and the blinds are real slow. So im hoping to atleast cash tonight if not take down the whole thing. They said they are expecting anywhere from 25-30 people.
                Originally posted by nvot9
                I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

                Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

                Comment


                • Looks like at least $1100 for the winner. With slow blinds, it's nice to actually play poker and not have to worry about getting lucky. You still need luck, but you can at least pick your spots...



                  I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                    Looks like at least $1100 for the winner. With slow blinds, it's nice to actually play poker and not have to worry about getting lucky. You still need luck, but you can at least pick your spots...
                    Exactly im hoping I can atleast cash.... Its all you can drink, but I wont drink since ill be playing. So even if I dont get knocked out early ill put on a load and watch the Yanks and the Phillies games.
                    Originally posted by nvot9
                    I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

                    Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                    Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                    Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                    Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                    Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

                    Comment


                    • That's a pretty nice deal. We have some of those types of tournaments in the DC area. Unfortunately, they're usually about 30 miles outside the city. Not really worth driving to the middle of nowhere to pay a rake. I try to go to one every 3 months because they actually serve as fundraisers for local fire departments.



                      I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                      Comment


                      • That tournament on Friday it was a 3 way split for first. I bought in for 110 and left with 530. Not as many people came as expected, but im not mad with the 420 profit.
                        Originally posted by nvot9
                        I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

                        Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                        Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                        Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                        Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                        Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

                        Comment


                        • Awesome job, dude. Your hourly rate was very healthy, and you got dinner out of it, no? Solid stuff.



                          I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                            Looks like at least $1100 for the winner. With slow blinds, it's nice to actually play poker and not have to worry about getting lucky. You still need luck, but you can at least pick your spots...
                            man playing a little home game I have about a good size chip stack and people got knocked out early so we got to the final table pretty quickly.

                            I get Ad-Ah in middle position, blinds are $500-$1000 so I raise it to $4500 and I get 4 quick calls. Flop comes Kd-3c-8d. I bet $5000, guy behind me calls quick and everyone else folds. turn is a Jd. I bet $15,000 he calls. Now I have Ad-Ah with 4 to a flush so when the river is a 4s I am a little dissapointed because I wanted a diamond but I figure I still have the best hand and bet $20,000. Guy just goes all in for like $3,000 more and I don't hesitate I call. He turns over K-3 giving him 2 pair. How he called my raise to begin with threw me off.

                            I had about 16K left and I worked my way back up to over 100K but caught no cards after that. Finally blinds got up to 10K and 20K and I had 24K left so I had to go all in with 4-6 off suit.

                            if it wasn't a home game i'd have been pissed.

                            Comment


                            • If you have good instincts, you can call with a lot of junk and hope to outplay people after the flop. In this case, he called in middle/late position with potential implied odds. If he called you, then the next few guys have the odds to call with lesser hands. He was hoping to invest a small amount and get lucky. He did, and he cracked you. I think he played it correctly. I assume he put you on a big pair or A-K on the flop, so he flat called you to basically milk it. Once the flop hit, he was betting for value. You basically bet it to get his money in the pot without necessarily putting him on a hand. He milked you good.



                              I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                                If you have good instincts, you can call with a lot of junk and hope to outplay people after the flop. In this case, he called in middle/late position with potential implied odds. If he called you, then the next few guys have the odds to call with lesser hands. He was hoping to invest a small amount and get lucky. He did, and he cracked you. I think he played it correctly. I assume he put you on a big pair or A-K on the flop, so he flat called you to basically milk it. Once the flop hit, he was betting for value. You basically bet it to get his money in the pot without necessarily putting him on a hand. He milked you good.
                                I see a call there with at least K-10 on up. Not a K with a very weak kicker.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information