No announcement yet.

Study Abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB12- I've actually been to Europe once before and was shocked at how many people spoke great English, so I'm not too concerned about getting around. Also most programs include a 3-4 week intensive language program at the start so you can learn enough things to get around town.

Titletown088- please do elaborate on whatever else you know or have advice on.

NotRickJames- I'm a double major in Communications and History

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
      I'd go to Austrailia since there is no language barrier and it's cooler than England.

I'd feel so uncomfortable living in a place where I couldn't understand everyone. Sure you could still take classes in english, but what about everything else?
      Everyone in europe speaks english unless you go to small towns in Italy/spain ect. Besides its fun to try and communicate in the vernacular language with the locals.

Originally posted by pierce2walker View Post
      Titletown088- please do elaborate on whatever else you know or have advice on.

NotRickJames- I'm a double major in Communications and History
      Well... I studied abroad in Rome for a year and loved it. I would probably go there or somewhere in Germany/Austria if I had the chance to go back. Let me know if you have any specific questions about any schools in Rome. I would know most. I am a double major too, history being one of them. And I went to school in rome strictly for history and Italian.
      Girl wise I would rank the countries as follows.

1. Sweden
      2 Italy
      3. Germanic countries.
      4. spain.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Rome or not, but it is actually very easy to get around only on English. I've been to Spain and France, and Rome was probably the best city in terms of English, I didn't go to one restaurant that didn't speak English. Rome is also an awesome city.

Comment

I actually work at a study abroad office and have studied abroad myself. Honestly, I would do Europe. You will be traveling with the most other students and travel is easier in Europe than anywhere and you can see a ton of countries (I got to 9 during my semester). If not Europe, I would go to Japan (but only if you know Japanese, if not its really stupid) or Australia as it attracts a fair number of students and Australians are a good bunch to party with. Seriously tho, do Europe if its a full semester. You will be traveling with a ton of people and see the biggest landmarks in the world. The people generally speak English, travel is easy. They are on America's level (for the most part) technology wise, etc. You cant go wrong. If it was for just a winter or summer program (which are like 2-3 weeks) I would recommend something more exotic, but I have been to some exotic places and for an entire semester it would be hairy. Not even in the typical way......stuff like internet, phone issues, etc......
          When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088
            Well... I studied abroad in Rome for a year and loved it. I would probably go there or somewhere in Germany/Austria if I had the chance to go back. Let me know if you have any specific questions about any schools in Rome. I would know most. I am a double major too, history being one of them. And I went to school in rome strictly for history and Italian.
            Girl wise I would rank the countries as follows.

1. Sweden
            2 Italy
            3. Germanic countries.
            4. spain.
            Yea I would most likely take mainly history courses (they seem to be commonly taught, an in English, at European universities) and also classes to fill some basic GE's
            Last edited by pierce2walker; 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM.

Comment

And as far as cities, I would go to Rome or Paris for my central location. I think they are the two cities with the most to do. More importantly tho, they are good central locations for travel.

*** Some people hate on Paris a lot btw, I personally loved it tho.

Comment

PW,

are you doing an exchange or a program through your school with other people?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                  PW,

are you doing an exchange or a program through your school with other people?
                  Its a program through the school. More specifically through the University of California school system. I am also leaning towards going for a whole year abroad as I feel like it would deepen the cultural experience, although a semester is definitely still in play. And Rome and Paris both would be nice, but I have already been to both and honestly I'm kind of looking for somewhere that isn't where a lot of people go (I feel like France and Italy are quite common). I've been looking a lot into Denmark and the Netherlands lately. Any advice or opinions on either of the two?
                  Last edited by pierce2walker; 07-30-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Germany, ftw.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pierce2walker View Post
                      Its a program through the school. More specifically through the University of California school system. I am also leaning towards going for a whole year abroad as I feel like it would deepen the cultural experience, although a semester is definitely still in play. And Rome and Paris both would be nice, but I have already been to both and honestly I'm kind of looking for somewhere that isn't where a lot of people go (I feel like France and Italy are quite common). I've been looking a lot into Denmark and the Netherlands lately. Any advice or opinions on either of the two?

Where in the Netherlands. Amsterdam is tremendous, but for a whole year idk. I am sure other cities would be great, I have only been to Amsterdam tho. Ask Wicket. Denmark I have heard is really nice, but again and entire year there might be meh. I did a program where I spent 6 weeks each in Paris, Dublin and Rome and that worked for me. I liked the movement.

But, a year would be cool. Sounds like you have been all over Western Europe tho. In that case I would switch it up tbh. Either go somewhere you havent been in Europe (I assume Denmark fits) and use that location to explore new countries (Scandanavia region I would guess). Outside of Europe tho, if you have Japanese, I would go there hands down. Australia is also really awesome. India is an awesome country, I loved it, but I wouldnt go there for a semester. Other non European options that are awesome: Beunos Aires in Argentina and Brazilian cities. Africa is kinda tough, I would recommend it for a year altho it would be awesome for a winter or summer program (I will actually be heading to Egypt this winter).

*** Actually, Buenos Aires is an epic win. Strongly consider that if you want to go outside of Europe, but still be in a city with a European feel.
                      Last edited by Rob S; 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I wanna try japan for the summer. Maybe London or Italy for a semester, that is where my school offers it.

Comment

Oh yeah, make sure you go fall semester so you can go to Oktoberfest. It's a blast.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                          they get smoked.

Comment

Yeah I went spring and missed out on Oktoberfest. That sucked. I did get Carnival in Nice tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                              Yeah I went spring and missed out on Oktoberfest. That sucked. I did get Carnival in Nice tho.
                              Nice was cool. I loved it there. Paris was fun as well, but way expensive. My favorite place in France was Strasburg.

they get smoked.

Comment

Paris was expensive as hell, but man, the museums and architecture were amazing imo. I loved it there.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information