PGA (or Golf in general) Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 619 View Post
    Oh, definitely. Best way to get better and shave off strokes is by improving your putting. I think all great golfers know that, but I'm starting to see it for myself as a young golfer; it's the most difficult part of the game for a good reason because of the proficiency that's required at all times, and the same goes for anything under 100 yards, as I see it.
    Couldnt be more true but with that said I think putting more than any other part of golf is a natural god given talent. You can take lessons to improve your grip, your swing, your drive, your iron play, your chipping, etc. but at the end of the day reading putts and gauging speed is all mental and you either know it or you dont a lot of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
      Couldnt be more true but with that said I think putting more than any other part of golf is a natural god given talent. You can take lessons to improve your grip, your swing, your drive, your iron play, your chipping, etc. but at the end of the day reading putts and gauging speed is all mental and you either know it or you dont a lot of the time.
      If I am anything I'm a "feel" putter. I don't have a mechanical stroke with certain positions that I have to hit. When I try that stuff I can't settle down and I just get worse. I do my best putting if I can just relax, think about it for a second, and take a smooth stroke.

Comment

• My goal by the end of the summer is play slightly better than bogey golf. I shot 89 last week, which was slightly worse than I want to play.

Anyone got any tips for hitting straight drives? I can hit my 3 iron 220, but I'd like to hit straight drives
        Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
        Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
        Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
        A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

• Originally posted by Canadian_kid16 View Post
          My goal by the end of the summer is play slightly better than bogey golf. I shot 89 last week, which was slightly worse than I want to play.

Anyone got any tips for hitting straight drives? I can hit my 3 iron 220, but I'd like to hit straight drives
          I am not good enough to help you out there, but it might help someone who can to know what your problem is. Do you hook or slice your drive? Does the ball go semi-straight and then hook/slice really hard, or does it hook/slice immediately?

Comment

• Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
            I am not good enough to help you out there, but it might help someone who can to know what your problem is. Do you hook or slice your drive? Does the ball go semi-straight and then hook/slice really hard, or does it hook/slice immediately?
            I'm a righty and it goes hard right (slice I think?) as soon as I hit. The stupid thing is I can hit it pretty straight at the range. I just can't put it together where it counts
            Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
            Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
            Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
            A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

My goal by the end of the summer is play slightly better than bogey golf. I shot 89 last week, which was slightly worse than I want to play.

I've been practicing hard at a local driving range as of late and one of the instructors there kept telling me to not fall back [slightly] following my stroke. Also, it'd be a good idea to distribute most of the power behind your swing through your body core/hips as opposed to your hands/arms. Last tip I could give you is to try to settle for a compact swing.

Comment

I'm a righty and it goes hard right (slice I think?) as soon as I hit. The stupid thing is I can hit it pretty straight at the range. I just can't put it together where it counts
                I have the same shot. If I try to swing out of my shoes it slices to the right. There are a ton of tips out there for fixing a slice as it is one of the most common problems people face. I haven't found the one that fixes my drive consistently, though.

Comment

I was say make sure you're getting your hands through. I'm guessing that your hips are coming through but your hands are just a tad behind and out of sync with your hips causing the club face to stay open and slice.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• a couple things i always try to think before i swing my drive (used to have a wicked slice now just a slight fade thats very playable):

tuck the right leg back a bit but keep toes facing target (its almost as if your aiming right, helps me overcompensate and come over the ball)
                    right hand V of thumb and forefinger pointing at or just over right shoulder
                    stop at the top (half second or so)
                    slow swing, head down through impact, hands through impact

Comment

• I miss the old Tiger :/

Comment

• i hear you 619. i really do think hell be back to old form just not necessarily as quickly as people originally expected. At least I really hope he will be. He set unreal expectations when he came back at the Masters and finished 4th. I dont find myself pulling for him as much as I used to although he is still one of my favorites but no one can deny how much better the game of golf is when hes near the top of the leaderboard.

Comment

• I need to take up golf, it's the only sport that I can play anymore haha.

Comment

• funny "slip" of the tongue...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_569792.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                              Golf broadcasters seem to have trouble with innuendos like that more than in other sports.

Comment

• Pebble Beach is a marvelous course. U.S Open will be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information