Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Grinds Your Gears Reloaded...Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    For me, it really has to do with the foo-foo brand of football they play. If Manning had gone to the Steelers and won a gazillion Superbowls with a balanced attack and good defense, he'd probably be amongst my favorite players ever - and I can't stand the Steelers. There's just something disgustingly finesse about him - from his curling up into the fetal position to avoid sacks, the "flinch" Sunday Night, the no-huddle spread, crying for a flag instead of going for the tackle on his pick six...it just represents everything that I hate about football, and that finesse culture has permeated that entire organization. I'm sure that's attributable to both Manning and Polian (especially when you consider the team he built in Buffalo), and I can't stand either one of them.

    That's why I've cooled in my Brady worship as well. Since ~06, the Pats tried to be like the Colts: showcase their QB, pad his stats, and play foo-foo football. And guess what? It's led to postseason failures recently. They're finally getting back to having balance and playing to their team's strengths instead of Belichick and Brady trying to prove how awesome they are to everyone.
    I can't argue with this. I am a Colts fan because I live here, but if I were from the UK and looking for a team to root for I would not pick the Colts. I hate that we can't run the ball, that our OL is full of pussies, that our starting right guard was literally picked up and thrown at Manning vs. the Chargers. I hated it when Harrison tip toed out of bounds instead of fighting for yardage. I hate it that Polian picks WRs and RBs when we need linemen. I hate it when people say "as long as they've got #18 back there, they'll be alright". Well guess what mother *******! No we're not alright, we've got a tiny band of smurfs that get hurt because big NFL-sized men are hitting them hard.

    I think Manning is tougher than he gets credit for, and I think his "Manningface" rep is a little overblown. And if it weren't for him this team would not have so many wins (and Polian would not have a job). But the Colts are a finesse team (hell the team name means "Baby Horse") and I hate it. Apparently this does in fact grind my gears.

    Comment


    • You know something I learned the other night? That stadium has a retractable roof!! Do they ever open it? Even whatever slight elements it may let in might upset that "finesse" attack...

      Comment


      • Stretched pages cause people don't spoiler their humongous pictures..

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
          Stretched pages cause people don't spoiler their humongous pictures..
          Second-ed.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            You know something I learned the other night? That stadium has a retractable roof!! Do they ever open it? Even whatever slight elements it may let in might upset that "finesse" attack...
            It has been open about 1/4 of the time. If the temp is going to be above 80 or below 50, or if rain/snow is forecasted, they leave it closed. It is a point of annoyance in Indy because fans always want the roof open, and it cost a lot of extra tax dollars to make it retractable. The thing is the field was not built to handle precipitation. How stupid is that?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
              It has been open about 1/4 of the time. If the temp is going to be above 80 or below 50, or if rain/snow is forecasted, they leave it closed. It is a point of annoyance in Indy because fans always want the roof open, and it cost a lot of extra tax dollars to make it retractable. The thing is the field was not built to handle precipitation. How stupid is that?
              That does sound pretty dumb.....wasn't that a problem at the Texans stadium a few years ago too? The roof got stuck open and there was supposed to be rain, but the field wasn't designed for it....don't remember how it got resolved, must not have been too big of issue.

              I'm of the old school mindset where football is a sport that should be played in the elements though....I like open roofs and precipitation and bitter cold. Last years playoffs were almost all hosted in places like Indy, New Orleans, Arizona, San Diego, Minnesota, Dallas.....warm weather and/or domes. It just didn't feel right....I needed me some Soldier Field, Foxboro, Lambeau (preferably not though...just an example,) the Meadowlands.....

              Even the stadium contributes to what YFS was saying about the Colts being a finesse organization from top to bottom. It's quite gear grinding.

              Comment


              • I like the Colts, it gives me another reason to like the color blue and be considered elitist.

                What really grinds my gears? My friends who insist on the Illuminati's supreme existence to the point where they are insatiably paranoid of any type of music.....even the ones that are apparently "against" it.
                Is that a rash?



                Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  That does sound pretty dumb.....wasn't that a problem at the Texans stadium a few years ago too? The roof got stuck open and there was supposed to be rain, but the field wasn't designed for it....don't remember how it got resolved, must not have been too big of issue.

                  I'm of the old school mindset where football is a sport that should be played in the elements though....I like open roofs and precipitation and bitter cold. Last years playoffs were almost all hosted in places like Indy, New Orleans, Arizona, San Diego, Minnesota, Dallas.....warm weather and/or domes. It just didn't feel right....I needed me some Soldier Field, Foxboro, Lambeau (preferably not though...just an example,) the Meadowlands.....

                  Even the stadium contributes to what YFS was saying about the Colts being a finesse organization from top to bottom. It's quite gear grinding.
                  What is most embarrassing is the amount of complaining from fans who were forced to sit in the terrible hot 75* sun last season. Cloudy days or night games are ok but NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT, DAMMIT!

                  IMO either play in a dome or play in a stadium. Lucas Oil is a neat place to look at, an architectural marvel. But it is also a half-assed attempt to be both an indoor and outdoor stadium. The team is soft and so is the fanbase. Indiana is or at least was so into basketball that I don't think the fans are prepared for sitting outside for sports.

                  Comment


                  • when posters think that you can just trade a player on your team and there will be some team out there willing to give you a fair trade

                    Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      when posters think that you can just trade a player on your team and there will be some team out there willing to give you a fair trade
                      Or when people don't like the value in a mock draft where their team is and just say "we'll trade down" without even thinking of the value they get or with whom they trade. But it's a nice little fantasy world anyway


                      BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                        Or when people don't like the value in a mock draft where their team is and just say "we'll trade down" without even thinking of the value they get or with whom they trade. But it's a nice little fantasy world anyway
                        "dude I'd rather trade down and collect picks!"

                        Okay, let me know when you find someone willing to trade up!

                        I think far too many posters fail to understand the business side of trades/draft

                        Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                        Comment


                        • Another thing I hate;

                          When posters on here get it into their heads they don't like a prospect for whatever reason. There are so many-Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Julio Jones etc. It's ok to think someone is not that good a prospect but the real hatred that's brought up in any thread where they are mentioned is starting to be comical.


                          Edit- people who have their team picking the same guy all year no matter where they are picking in a mock draft. "ZOMGZ Michael Floyd sucks. Give us AJ Green at pick 28"


                          BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                            Another thing I hate;

                            When posters on here get it into their heads they don't like a prospect for whatever reason. There are so many-Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Julio Jones etc. It's ok to think someone is not that good a prospect but the real hatred that's brought up in any thread where they are mentioned is starting to be comical.


                            Edit- people who have their team picking the same guy all year no matter where they are picking in a mock draft. "ZOMGZ Michael Floyd sucks. Give us AJ Green at pick 28"
                            Eh, when I scout by my gut and stick to my guns, is when I usually end up right.

                            If I watch a lot of a prospect, I usually end up falling in love with him, because I end up assuming that he'll correct all the things he does wrong and the things he does well will automatically translate and get even better.

                            First impressions are huge to me in scouting. I have an irrational distaste for Julio Jones, despite him progressing every year. When I saw him his freshman and sophomore years I was reminded of Reggie Williams, and that won't shake me.

                            It was the same way I felt about Leinart, Bush, and Lendale - even very early in their careers. I saw Ken Dorsey in Leinart, Peter Warrick in Bush, and Ron Dayne in Lendale. Those were the impressions that stuck immediately, and despite all their success and people screaming that the three of them were teh best prospectz everzz, my gut told me that none of them had games that translated to the NFL.

                            Now, has my gut led me wrong? Absolutely. But I've found that the more I watch of a guy, the more indecisive I get on him. Like I said, first, gut impressions are huge in how I feel about a player.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              "dude I'd rather trade down and collect picks!"

                              Okay, let me know when you find someone willing to trade up!

                              I think far too many posters fail to understand the business side of trades/draft
                              I surely feel the "trade-up" call goes out first and most often. I bet you'd look like a fool if you constantly announce "we want to trade down".




                              2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                                Eh, when I scout by my gut and stick to my guns, is when I usually end up right.

                                If I watch a lot of a prospect, I usually end up falling in love with him, because I end up assuming that he'll correct all the things he does wrong and the things he does well will automatically translate and get even better.

                                First impressions are huge to me in scouting. I have an irrational distaste for Julio Jones, despite him progressing every year. When I saw him his freshman and sophomore years I was reminded of Reggie Williams, and that won't shake me.

                                It was the same way I felt about Leinart, Bush, and Lendale - even very early in their careers. I saw Ken Dorsey in Leinart, Peter Warrick in Bush, and Ron Dayne in Lendale. Those were the impressions that stuck immediately, and despite all their success and people screaming that the three of them were teh best prospectz everzz, my gut told me that none of them had games that translated to the NFL.

                                Now, has my gut led me wrong? Absolutely. But I've found that the more I watch of a guy, the more indecisive I get on him. Like I said, first, gut impressions are huge in how I feel about a player.
                                I don't mind if people simply don't like a prospect. It happens. What I dont like is when I make a mock draft and someone comes on and says "he sucks!!! will never make it".

                                Personally I'm not a fan of Cam Newton. I said previously I don't like it if my QB is running for more yards than he throws for in a lot of games. However after seeing him throw very well against teams I'm not going to say he can't throw and is only a runner. Still not a fan though.

                                The people I am talking about are the ones who simply wont admit improvement in a player. "I seen him drop an easy pass his freshman year. He's a bust waiting to happen".

                                Gut impressions are big in whether I like a player, but I would seldomly watch a guy once and say "not for me".


                                BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information