X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People in general grind my gears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      The lack of ability to properly pluralize words?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Accidentally clicking enter before finishing a rep comment. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
          I'm sorry that I have to completely disagree with you, even your examples are different, double negatives are a way of saying something, using the wrong ******* word is not the same as that, not even comparable. It doesn't matter what language you talk about, if you say the wrong word you look stupid. You don't call a blue car a red car because you feel like it because it is wrong, it's exactly the same as dominant and dominate, they are different things, use them correctly.

In general I agree with you, but I can't extend "breaking" the rules of English to using words that are entirely wrong and mean something different.
          1) I also gave the example of ain't, which would be a wrong word choice according to prescriptive English.

2) A blue car vs. red car the same thing as dominant vs. dominate? What the what? My entire point is that (and I think this will suffice as a response to dabears' post) the prescriptive rules of English actually go beyond the ideal of having an ideal language for communication - they make rules just to make rules. Red and blue are entirely different words. A prescriptive rule for English distinguish red and blue doesn't exist because there's no such dialect that doesn't make the difference/confuses the difference. If you accidentally say "blue" when you meant "red," that's a legit mistake, because no dialect, no matter how divergent from prescriptive English it is, would consider that to be correct. In this case, saying "red" for "blue" would just be a slip of the tongue. People do stuff like that all the time. We don't need prescriptive English to tell us that.

I can't really argue about how badly you view people who say dominate for dominant. I just don't think it's a big deal. The other point of my post was that we know what that person means, so no harm no foul, I say. I don't think you're an idiot for saying it that way.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• I hate people who add apostrophes every time they pluralize a word. Annoys me to no end.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
            <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
            <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
            <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

• Mercury Morris. Honestly, nobody gives a **** about your perfect season anymore.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston View Post
                Mercury Morris. Honestly, nobody gives a **** about your perfect season anymore.
                just watched that **** too. ******* hate that guy. congratulations, you did something cool 40 years ago.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• Red and blue are entirely different words.
                  My point exactly. In fact, they are closer to being the same thing than dominant and dominate are. At least red and blue are used the same. Dominate and dominant are completely different and don't even sound the same, that's what really irks me, it's not a there/their/they're thing, it's an I'm to ignorant or stupid to use the right word thing, which is why it grinds my gears. Ditto for loose/lose which is probably an even more common online result.

Funny thing is, I have never heard anyone make either of those mistakes when speaking the language, only when writing. If you would say it right, why type it wrong other than because you are an idiot? It's like even like typing "u" instead of you or "l33t" instead elite, it's just pure ********, which is why it irks me so much, there is no logical or good reason, outside of stupidity, to do it.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston View Post
                    Mercury Morris. Honestly, nobody gives a **** about your perfect season anymore.
                    He wasn't even that good of a player.

Comment

• Saving a game over top a game I didn't not want to save over top of >.<

Comment

• When you send your team's IM basketball team as the "Blue Ballers" and you check your schedule the day before the game and your team's name is just "Ballers".

Comment

• The dick-sniffer young punk who works at the gym who turns the whirlpool off at 8:30 despite the fact that the gym closes at 10:00.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• I hate it that whenever there's a poker game on a TV show, the main protagonist always wins every single hand, always knows exactly what every other player has, and never gets raped by the river.

Grammar question for teacher CJ (or anyone else) : "Every other player" or "every other players"? I'm going with singular, but can't be sure.
                            Last edited by Job; 02-04-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
                              I hate it that whenever there's a poker game on a TV show, the main protagonist always wins every single hand, always knows exactly what every other player has, and never gets raped by the river.
                              Lol, THIISSSSS.

And he always slow rolls you too. And for some reason, they ALWAYS have a royal flush. The hand that has odds of 1:649,740. Such BS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                                Lol, THIISSSSS.

And he always slow rolls you too. And for some reason, they ALWAYS have a royal flush. The hand that has odds of 1:649,740. Such BS.
                                Actually the odds aren't THAT small, it's 1:649,739.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information