Football Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
    Plyometrics are your best friend if you are trying to increase explosion.
    Can I get an Amen from the congregation?

Comment

Did them all the time in soccer, they suck ass but you will see results in a very short amount of time.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Issues

Containment: One thing to remember is that as a OLB, you force plays inside. Outside contain guys usually don't make much plays but they open up opportunities for other guys to make the stop.

vs Blockers: Since you're on JV, you won't see much Zone blocking schemes. More often then not, your gonna be matched up one on one with most blockers. I'll tell you from experience, the people that gave ME the most trouble while I was trying to block are the low guys that took on the block head on. One thing to remember about being head on blocked is having your hands on the blocker for separation and KEEPING YOUR EYES IN THE BACKFIELD. More often than not you'll get a feel for the play just from the type of block you're facing. Shed the block.

Things to work on: Hand quickness, defensive lineman techniques, staying low, and keeping your eyes on the ball carrier.

The Lower man will win 9 times out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          Can I get an Amen from the congregation?
          Amen, reverend!

also, malaka, when working on your upper body, use free weights. lower body: all the olympic lifts.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
              I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
              Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Power Cleans and Squats.. Take 'em serious!

Comment

I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
                    I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!
                    the Lower man will win! lol

Comment

Get strong, get fast......in HS strong and fast people can dominate even if they arent tremendous natural athletes. Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans, Sprints, and Plyo work will make you a beast.....especially at the JV level.
                      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

I played ILB for my JV team, along with Mason Foster(Washington), at 6'1" 255 ahahah. I was just a glorified hole plugger because I couldnt man cover to save my life. But I dominated in JV because I was a more explosive than most of the kids out there.

Comment

Tackle pretty much covered it.

Key to containment is engaging the blocker and keeping your outside shoulder and arm free so that you dont allow that blocker to go downfield but also dont get tied up and pushed inside or backwards, if you let a blocker get his hands inside you, you are beaten already.

The other thing that Tackle didnt mention is know your reads and make them quick. Generally at OLB your first read will be the tackle on your side, don't get caught looking in the backfield. If the tackle is firing out at you it is very important to engage and be prepared for a run in your direction, if his first step is back it is far more likely to be a pass play, in which case you can sell out on the blitz a little more.

Finally, when blitzing, always attack the outside shoulder of the QB, if you go hard inside or at the middle you make it far easier for him to step outside you, make him step up in the pocket into the pressure, don't let him step outside, same rules apply when blitzing on a run play, force him inside where the help is and you have done your job, worst thing you can do is over pursue inside and let a RB get outside you and get shots at your secondary.

Hope this helps a bit, pretty much is the core of playing OLB, if you do all these things well, everything else should fall into place.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Be good at sports

Comment

OK, I know you want to be a sack artist and everything, but you're playing JV highschool football. That means teams do one thing, and that is run the ball. Its all about how you shed blocks and recognize plays/where the ball is going. Its not like highschool playbooks are real think either, so you will see the same play numerous times in a single game.

You say you want to be the best you can be and everything, and then you say that you ran a 4.9 without any training lately. You need to understand how much work top D1 recruits put in everyday. It is not easy and you have to make a ******** of sacrifices.

Comment

I played strongside end in high school and one thing that my HS coach taught me that I felt took me a long way was to learn how to use my hands the right way, especially when shedding blocks.

Also, I think another good drill if your playing either end or linebacker is the cone drill. Increasing your footwork and being light on your feet is a pretty good trait to have.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information