Football Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
    I know you want to rush the passer and get after the quarterback but contain is your number 1 responsibility. You have to stay disciplined and play run first. In highschool, most teams are run orientated. A lot of teams try to run sweeps with best athlete and try to get him around the corner. As a DE or OLB who has contain responsibilities, it is not necessarily going to be a glorified position but it is vital to the defense. It's more important to stop the play from happening by keeping contain than it is to try to make the play by yourself and end up getting beat around the corner.

From a technical standpoint, don't take the OT or the FB head on. You take him on with your inside shoulder always keeping your outside hand free while still keeping your hips square to the line. That way, if they try to bounce it outside, you'll be in a postition where you can get off the block and make the play. If they try to cut it up inside of you, you drive your man inside and squeeze down but make sure you keep the same relationship with your outside hand free. If you take on the block square, the ball carrier can cut either way off you. When you play it the other way, you force him to make a decision. You want him to cut inside of you because that's where your help will be but if he tries to cut it out, you'll be able to make a big play.

I hope that helps. It's kind of tough to explain without actually showing you. Remember, always play run first, pass second. I know you want to get after the QB but keeping contain is your number one responsibility.
    This is really good advice, the only thing I'd add is to keep your inside foot at your opponents outside foot, while keeping things square. That way it is nearly impossible for whoever isblocking you to get outside of you and seal off the edge. And if the paly goes inside, do just what TACKLE said, drive him inside and clog it up. Using this technique in the pass rush will help you power past some weaker blockers as well when you are required to rush the passer.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      Issues

Containment: One thing to remember is that as a OLB, you force plays inside. Outside contain guys usually don't make much plays but they open up opportunities for other guys to make the stop.

vs Blockers: Since you're on JV, you won't see much Zone blocking schemes. More often then not, your gonna be matched up one on one with most blockers. I'll tell you from experience, the people that gave ME the most trouble while I was trying to block are the low guys that took on the block head on. One thing to remember about being head on blocked is having your hands on the blocker for separation and KEEPING YOUR EYES IN THE BACKFIELD. More often than not you'll get a feel for the play just from the type of block you're facing. Shed the block.

Things to work on: Hand quickness, defensive lineman techniques, staying low, and keeping your eyes on the ball carrier.

The Lower man will win 9 times out of 10.

That is the key right there, if you can stand your opponent up, they aren't getting the strength needed from the core and lower body to do their job, if you incorporate what Tackle said, with this, and the foot positioning I was telling you, it'll vastly imporve your abilities to seal the edge, as well as helping out in your overall game.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

I played on both freshman and varsity because my school was pretty small, so we didn't have a lot of players.

I was like 5'10" 160 my freshman year...6'2" 190 my senior year

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

I wish I could have played Varsity as a sophomore but there's about 60-70 something kids that come out for Varsity every year.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            6'2" 255-260

I played linebacker and fullback/runningback tho.
            in JV WTF!

RIP ST

Comment

Originally posted by Shahin View Post
              in JV WTF!
              When your an islander.. you tend to grow faster hahaha

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information