Computer Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
    edit: i can do all of the task listed above on my eeePc... provided i have a server at my home and it makes it EXTRAORDINARLY EASY... but, you could as easily substitute a external in this case... but that's just me, i have small fingers.
    It's like I told fenikz or scotty in their laptop threads, just get a netbook and a giant external, and you'll be good. Possibly a laptop cooling pad if you are on it extensively

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
      'slow externals'. seriously.

sure, if you wanna watch bluerays from your external, sure, you'll be in a little bit of a bind if you're using usb 2.0, but for the most part, you can do DVD quality just fine with the effective 60 mbps that you get out of a usb as opposed to the 300 you're getting from spending the extra 100 dollars on eSata... sure, if you're working in a business speed environment, and need fast access, sure, but for the occasional noodies... you don't need eSata... you don't need firewire (although, it is nice) and general document storage... besides, once you download a video or rip one, convert it to divx or xvid or what have you for computer viewing... you shouldn't have much of a problem... when you fill up your box... go to best buy and spend the extra 80 bucks and by an external.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1185271084002

like so.

it also teaches the importance of backing up your computers onto multiple hard drives (especially if you don't run a server at your own home... which i can tell you 95% of the world does not) which prevents catastrophic data loss.

if were looking for 'content' not 'performance' you have to understand that getting the best/better isn't always worth the tradeoff... palmer->cj had a computer for 10 years... obviously performance isn't the most important part.

edit: i can do all of the task listed above on my eeePc... provided i have a server at my home and it makes it EXTRAORDINARLY EASY... but, you could as easily substitute a external in this case... but that's just me, i have small fingers.
      Your not really going to have to pay 100 bucks more for eSATA. Buy an external enclosure and buy a hard drive. You get get an eSATA Enclosure that will also do USB or Firewire for 20 bucks then buy a 1T Hard Drive for 80 bucks and there is a hundred dollar Hardrive equipped to hold 1 Terabyte of all your storage needs.

You can do the same thing with a 500 gig and it will cost you $70. The one that AQ posted isnt bad. YOu won't have to deal with the process of taking the hardrive and putting it into the enclosure. But if you are going to want the eSATA then build it yourself. Because really, its pretty simple. I also can not stress enough that everyone should have an external Harddrive to back-up their information. Hardrives go out all the time and you need to make sure you have your PRON collection backed up at all times!

Comment

Sooo.. I'm home from school for a few days and my little sister spilled juice on my laptop. Half the keys work, half don't. Everything I've read says take it apart or buy a keyboard to plug in and use because otherwise I'm effed.

Any help advice?

Comment

and are you actually going to suggest that you haven't upgraded a single part on your older boxes? that seems extraordinarily unlikely.
          New PSU in the current case 2 months ago, fried in a storm. PC prior to this is 8 and a half, literally the only reason I have opened it was to add HDDs and a DVD burner.

Case prior to that had a CD drive die but it had two anyway and that one is 11 years old now.

which i can tell you 95% of the world does not) which prevents catastrophic data loss.
          I'd be shocked if it is even that many that have servers :)

Also, I am what you would call a movie snub, if it isn't in HD I cant watch it anymore, 720p is the minimum, 1080p is the preferred, so I actually notice things like the speed on USB2 Externals. That said, my computer experience is at the other end of usage to what the OP requested just thought the computers die in a couple of years thing presented a poor view as I can honestly say I have never had a PC die, nevermind within 3 years, but that is probably the perks of using premium parts and building yourself, not to mention how much you save.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
            Your not really going to have to pay 100 bucks more for eSATA. Buy an external enclosure and buy a hard drive. You get get an eSATA Enclosure that will also do USB or Firewire for 20 bucks then buy a 1T Hard Drive for 80 bucks and there is a hundred dollar Hardrive equipped to hold 1 Terabyte of all your storage needs.
            to start, you have to buy an eSATA card on most comptuers below 1k dollars...

so. tack another 40 bucks onto that tag... and if you're not good with computers, getting someone to install it....

You can do the same thing with a 500 gig and it will cost you $70. The one that AQ posted isnt bad. YOu won't have to deal with the process of taking the hardrive and putting it into the enclosure. But if you are going to want the eSATA then build it yourself. Because really, its pretty simple. I also can not stress enough that everyone should have an external Harddrive to back-up their information. Hardrives go out all the time and you need to make sure you have your PRON collection backed up at all times!
            oh yeah. it's pretty easy... but, we're going for turnkey solutions, not 'build your own'...

Originally posted by njx9
            i don't buy the netbook stuff unless someone actually needs it to be portable. you can pay the same or far less for a good desktop solution. especially given that he mentioned wanting a desktop, since he already has the periphs.
            indeed... and desktops advantage is increasing power at the cost of portability... the man doesn't need a netbook, but i'm sure others would...

Originally posted by wog
            Computers don't die
            in the mid 90s my power supplies had a mean time before failure of around 2-3 years... now they're up to 5-7... the problem with the grid in chicago, is that the voltage is HIGHLY inconsistant tends to weaken the buffering structure of the power supplies... (obviously don't undervalue a good power conditioner) and when the buffering starts to lose capacity, you end up burning ****... leading to total failure... i for one, leave my desktops on in some form 95-98% of the time... my laptops much less so... but, in reality the MTBFs on these things are always overrated by 10-20% in my experience depending on how much power a computer draws... i've had a few power supplies last me 6-9 years... but not many... the ones i do have that are still good, i recycle and use them as backup power supplies...
            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
              i don't buy the netbook stuff unless someone actually needs it to be portable. you can pay the same or far less for a good desktop solution. especially given that he mentioned wanting a desktop, since he already has the periphs.
              Well, for the two I mentioned, they are college guys, so a netbook allows them to use it in class. I know you can do the same with a laptop, but from my experience, those "desks" have barely enough room to fit an 8x11 sheet of paper. So, a smaller netbook would be better for that... not to mention it weighs even less, and with a solid state drive, you dont have to worry about the HDD disk. Oh, and I didn't see that he was replacing a desktop, my mistake.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information