Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you let this kid score a TD?

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1452971.html

I have to admit, my first reaction, one mixed with some humor and some absolute seriousness was to think to myself, "I wouldn't let the kid score."

Then I read this line -

And so Matt Ziesel ran a sweep to the right and just kept going. This time, it was McCamy making sure he was close enough to be heard — running down the sideline alongside Matt, yelling as loud as he could.

“Come on, Matty! They’re coming!” McCamy yelled, making the play as real as possible for Ziesel.
    Sometimes, it's those things that we do that mean little or nothing to us which mean the whole world to another. In the end, I decided I would let him score.

So, the question stands.

What would you have done?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

let him score...if for no other reason than I wouldn't want to face the public humiliation I would receive if I did tackle him
    Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
    Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
    A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

I can think of no legitimate reason to tackle him.

Comment

Follow Me on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I would definitely let him score. End of the game in a blowout.. This TD, these 6 points mean the world to this kid. I thought it was awesome for both teams to cooperate. Here's the clip of it.

Comment

This isn't the SPECIAL OLYMPICS, gentlemen!

Just kidding, I'd definitely let him score, my sister is in the same situation

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

If you say no you are a douche. It's freshmen football, they were up by 46 points, and the kid had down syndrome. The game was already over, the difference between 46-0 and 46-6 is nothing, especially when you let the TD score on purpose. The winning team can still feel good about a big win and by all accounts but the scoreboard the defense can celebrate it as a shutout.

Comment

We had this preseason jamboree when I was in 10th grade. We played this team called Pacific Grove who was the host and on that team was a kid with DS named Seymour. In the huddle when he came in.. We decided by ourselves that we would let him gain yards but we would wrap him up and let him come down on his own so it didn't look like we were completely letting him do it. One of the other guys in the huddle approached their coach and said that we would let him run plays. That was probably the only night we got cheered on by the other teams crowd seeing that everyone around here hated our guts.

Comment

For sure you let him score. I can't think of any reason not to. Here is a large group of people that realize there are far more important things in life than football, and this kid gets to live out a dream of his. (hell, its anyone's dream, really) I am very happy for Matt Ziesel, his parents, coaches, team and the opponent. Just a great story all around.
                  Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

On a mostly unrelated note; I was reading the sports section on jsonline and took a look at the high school scoreboard and noticed that the Wisconsin deaf team played the Missouri deaf team. I am very intrigued by how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                      On a mostly unrelated note; I was reading the sports section on jsonline and took a look at the high school scoreboard and noticed that the Wisconsin deaf team played the Missouri deaf team. I am very intrigued by how that works.
                      i'm pretty sure its the same as other schools except for hand signals. deaf people and people fluent in sign language are experts at reading faces and expressions.

Comment

My high school had a big DHH program where kids from all over Orange County would be bussed into. There were always deaf kids on the team and a lot of them were pretty good. There was never really a problem. They could figure out when the whistle was blown, since most of them weren't completely deaf. But even if you couldn't hear the whistle you could figure out generally when the play was over. You really don't need to have hearing in football and isn't a huge disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                          i'm pretty sure its the same as other schools except for hand signals. deaf people and people fluent in sign language are experts at reading faces and expressions.
                          That wasn't the part I was confused about

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
                          My high school had a big DHH program where kids from all over Orange County would be bussed into. There were always deaf kids on the team and a lot of them were pretty good. There was never really a problem. They could figure out when the whistle was blown, since most of them weren't completely deaf. But even if you couldn't hear the whistle you could figure out generally when the play was over. You really don't need to have hearing in football and isn't a huge disadvantage.
                          This was. That situation seems a bit different though. This seems to be two full teams of only deaf people, and would assume most are completely deaf.

Comment

I see no reason to not let him score. Like the article said, everyone walked away winners, and that kid will remember his touchdown for the rest of his life.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

That wasn't the part I was confused about

This was. That situation seems a bit different though. This seems to be two full teams of only deaf people, and would assume most are completely deaf.
                              Well when you're playing, you can usually tell when the play was over without hearing the whistle. But usually referees wave their arms when the play is over too. Our team rarely had problems and if there ever was, we'd just explain that he's deaf and they'd let it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information