Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Job View Post
    Or just because some books are kinda short. Some of my favorite ones are 150-200 pages long. Those never last a month.
    i.e. invisible cities. anthem. candide. most salinger stuff is rather short.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• There's plenty of good books you can read in just a few days. One of the recent best sellers, White Tiger, I read over the course of one flight from Boston to San Francisco. However, it took me about two months read to Ulysses and feel like I had a grasp of it. Some books just require that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        There's plenty of good books you can read in just a few days. One of the recent best sellers, White Tiger, I read over the course of one flight from Boston to San Francisco. However, it took me about two months read to Ulysses and feel like I had a grasp of it.
        2 months?

I think the 4th 5th read of it... and then... parts of it start clicking.

yeah. there's some books that you can devour in a flight. then there's some books, that take forever. it doesn't even matter the amount of pages. the density is just overwhelming.
        Last edited by awfullyquiet; 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM.
        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
          2 months?

I think the 4th 5th read of it... and then... parts of it start clicking.

yeah. there's some books that you can devour in a flight. then there's some books, that take forever. it doesn't even matter the amount of pages. the density is just overwhelming.
          I don't normally re-read books (not without some years passing in between). For Ulysses, there was simply too many references that I didn't know off the top of my head for me to roll right past them. So I'd read, then go try and track down the meaning behind something. So it was rather slow going.

edit - Granted, even when I did wrap it up, I wasn't feeling like I had gotten everything. I'll definitely be reading it again, but not until I knock off some of the more pressing stuff off my list.

Comment

• I command this thread to live again!

I just finished this after it was recommended. It's a quick read and has a very attractive style to it. Definitely recommended.

Comment

• My casual research into existentialism messed with my brain. Yet I was intrigued, so I've looked into it. Tillich's concept of God is pretty unique.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen
              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• <+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Has anyone read 1984? I have to read that for school

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                  Originally posted by TitanHope
                  R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                  He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by raiderz4life View Post
                    Has anyone read 1984? I have to read that for school
                    Yes. I enjoyed it.

by BoneKrusher
                    <DG> how metal unseen
                    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                      I command this thread to live again!

I just finished this after it was recommended. It's a quick read and has a very attractive style to it. Definitely recommended.
                      That sounds really good. I'll have to read that once I'm done with the current fantasy book I told myself I would like(and don't).

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• If your looking for simple entertainment, Too Fat Too Fish by Artie Lang is actually a decent book.

He's definitely nothing special as far as writing goes, but the way he tells his stories is engaging. I was suprised to find out that he's actually not as big of a douche as he comes across as... (Joe Buck Live)

Comment

• Probably my all time favorite novel. I know alot of people dislike it because they were forced to read it for school, but go back and read it when you dont have to write a paper on it. I have probably read it 10 times, since its such a short and easy read, and it gets better every time. Its the beginning of transgressional fiction and Fitzgerald writes with such brittle language that no matter whats happening in the novel, you feel on edge.

While I do appreciate Fitzgerald's short stories as superior in both prose and in some cases content, Gatsby just gets me every time. Plus the cover art kicks all kinds of ass.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• I cant elaborate since its political, but its a good read

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

• I'm thinking of buying Dark Water, by Robert Clark. If anyone has read it, please be kind enough to tell me if you enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post

Probably my all time favorite novel. I know alot of people dislike it because they were forced to read it for school, but go back and read it when you dont have to write a paper on it. I have probably read it 10 times, since its such a short and easy read, and it gets better every time. Its the beginning of transgressional fiction and Fitzgerald writes with such brittle language that no matter whats happening in the novel, you feel on edge.

While I do appreciate Fitzgerald's short stories as superior in both prose and in some cases content, Gatsby just gets me every time. Plus the cover art kicks all kinds of ass.
                                Yeah this is a great book.But anyone that reads it has to read the whole thing.I didn't think this book was all that great untill I finished the last 2 pages.
                                "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information