No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone's looking for something easy and nonfiction to read, both I Only Roast The Ones I Love by Jeffrey Ross and Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin are pretty hilarious.

Usually a fan of sci fi and whatnot, but these are solid in my opinion for a change of pace.

Comment

• Sports autobiography's from decently intelligent people are my favorite books to read. Especially if you're a fan of tennis, James Blake, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi's autobiographies are all good. Tedi Bruschi's autobiography is good as well.

Comment

• Went to Chapters and bought some books today for the break:

End the Fed by Ron Paul

The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons

and I am finally going to read

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
          Don't skip The Windup Girl. You won't be disappointed. The pace isn't all that quick, but it starts off interesting and keeps you until the end. It's one of my favorite Science Fiction novels.

I'm not sure why, but post-globalisation type worlds always entertain me. You get to see different events unfold from the eyes and views of all sorts of different characters. Definitely check it out.
          This is what I've heard from everyone. Know I got a Borders giftcard coming up for Christmas. I'll be sure to pick this one up now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
            Went to Chapters and bought some books today for the break:

End the Fed by Ron Paul

The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons

and I am finally going to read

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
            I read the entire The Book of Basketball in about 5 days and wasn't sure whether I had actually sat and read the book or just woken up from a drug-induced bender.

I place the NFL, competitive eating, and paint drying ahead of the likes of the NBA (uhh Bucks fan)...Yet I love Bill Simmons writing so much, anything written by him is solid.

Best players of all time, how to build a franchise, testicle references, and pop culture, holy crap is the book funny. It's actually a good book to put next to the toilet and pick up for 20 minutes every day while your doing your business. If you liked his first one, you'll like it. And I hate the Red Sox.

Comment

• I just finished a great book: Sting like a Bee: The Muhammad Ali story by Jose Torres. It's a really interesting read, because I found that being so young, the only stuff you hear now about Ali is how great and funny he was. This one was published in 1971, and ends right after Ali-Frazier 1. It gives a lot of perspective into the life of one of the greatest, most influential and most controversial athletes of all time. Despite being a good friend to Ali, he seems really honest about everything. He says in the book that he actually picked Frazier to win the fight with Ali, and gives solid reasoning to it as well. It's not a big book either, just a little over 200 pages, and it was pretty cheap.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
              Originally posted by njx9
              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twiddler View Post
                Never said little.
                I could have sworn you did... gebus I'm insane.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  I think Breakfast of Champions might be his best book. Personal opinion, but its awesome
                  I really liked the Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, the apocalyptic black comedy decades ahead of its time Cat's Cradle, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, & the best is ......

Slaughterhouse 5 !!

Billy Pilgrim time travel (being "stuck/unstuck in time") & Vonnegut's WW2 autobiog experience as a Battle of Bulge POW who survived the fire-bombing of Dresden by being locked into Schlachthof Funf underground..... great stuff, unlike other comic existentialists & black humorists, Vonnegut, an ex-tech writer at IBM in Poughkeepsie, NY, has some punch in his prose. Movie version was kind of meh, BoC film was worse with Bruce Willis, book was good with his hand drawn cartoons mixed into the text.

Everything after Galapagos sucked though. There are 2 new collections of previously unpublished works, one fiction & one nonfiction, released for the Xmas mkt. Def made my Xmas list.

If you can find it, KV's 1st & best short story collection Welcome to the Monkey House is a great read, Harrison Bergeron the best short story IMO, unusual great film version with Sean Astin. It's never come out in hardback to my knowledge.
                  Last edited by LizardState; 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Bukowski is so awesome.

worker bees can leave
                    even drones can fly away
                    the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by BufFan71 View Post
                      just finished the Inheritance series

(eragon, eldest, brisingr)

great series
                      Yeah some people hate Paolini, but I think it's a pretty awesome series. Reminds me of Lord of the Rings, and I guess I'm into that stuff so. The only part that sucks is waiting for him to release the next book or ATLEAST let us know when it will be released...

Comment

• Got a late christmas gift, the blindside. Looking forward to reading it after seeing the movie.
                        Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

• Still ******* waiting for the Windup Girl to come. Pumped, but it's taken Borders more than a week to get it. Ordered it Christmas night, didn't even ship it until four days later. Also ordered the Etched City. I'll rage if it's not here by Sunday.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Anyone read Crichton's pirate book?
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Soccernomics is a great book for anyone interested in soccer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                                Still ******* waiting for the Windup Girl to come. Pumped, but it's taken Borders more than a week to get it. Ordered it Christmas night, didn't even ship it until four days later. Also ordered the Etched City. I'll rage if it's not here by Sunday.
                                Oh God, I plowed through that book in about a week. Having a book that I'm legitimately interested in makes reading fun...yes, I said fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information