No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to Chapters (Big Canadian Bookstore) after work yesterday. After reading the Carlin book my love for literature has been rekindled. I bought myself a membership card so I get 10 percent off each purchase and I picked up a couple books:

Got some good deals on them too and they both work well as light reading at work.

Comment

• What I've been reading lately...

Comment

• my copy isn't as old though...

Comment

• Just got done reading this. Pretty moving stuff, the happiness of our life is moved through the thoughts we allow ourselves to ponder. Educate and guard accordingly.

Comment

• I don't think I've ever heard someone describe The Republic as "moving".

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              I don't think I've ever heard someone describe The Republic as "moving".
              yeah... moving my bowels

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Oh Eugenides and your masterful narration

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Just started this so far so good I love James Patterson I like books to be fasted paced with short chapters and he is great at it.

Comment

• Very good list of books coming out in 2010:
                    http://www.themillions.com/2010/01/m...k-preview.html

Really looking forward to The Pale King in 2011 though:
                    “The subject of the novel is boredom. The opening of the book instructs the reader to go back and read the small type they skipped on the copyright page, which details the battle with publishers over their determination to call it fiction, when it’s all 100% true. The narrator, David Foster Wallace, is at some point confused with another David F. Wallace by IRS computers, pointing to the degree to which our lives are filled with irrelevant complexity.”

Comment

• All the posthumous releases...Bolano, Larsson, Wallace...

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
                        Very good list of books coming out in 2010:
                        http://www.themillions.com/2010/01/m...k-preview.html
                        The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman: Pullman (famous for his His Dark Materials children’s series) will once again be courting controversy with this new book. According to The Guardian, “The book will provide a new account of the life of Jesus, challenging the gospels and arguing that the version in the New Testament was shaped by the apostle Paul."
                        sounds interesting

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Kind of embarassed to admit that I read the entire book, but I made a deal with my younger 10 year old sister. She has to read a couple of books for school and I got her to read the City of Bones by Classandra Clary...She said she'd finish it if I read the whole thing with her.

It's considered "Young Adult" and Urban/Science Fiction Fantasy. It's like a mix of Harry Potter, the Ergaon series, and a some Twilight all in one. I bitterly despise Twilight and refuse to see or read the series, but because I have some sort of weird obsession with finishing books I've started, I am going to read the next 2 books in the Clary - Mortal Instruments series...City of Glass, and City of Ashes.

Decently interesting if you into that kind of genre, but definitely deserves the teen reading level it has. Uhhhh.

Comment

• Just read An Unfinished Life: JFK by Dallek and on Andrew Jackson: American Lion by Meachem. Pretty good reads on both of them for those interested.
                            Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

• Finished The Windup Girl last week. Really interesting book. Very interesting story. There wasn't much that has really stuck with me, but it did live up to it's billing as being one of the better books to come out in it's genre last year.

Currently reading Nova Swing by M. John Harrison. It's kind of a mess. There's good in there, but the book makes very, very, very little sense for pages and pages at a time. You have a pretty good idea about what's going on in the book, but it would be sooo much better if there was a bit more clarity. Haze as a literary device is nice, but not this much. Still, the writing is good.

How are you liking Book of the New Sun Paranoidmoonduck? I enjoyed that one. Never finished it. Had some bad reading habits at the time so I put it down for an extended period of time and just never finished it. But Gene Wolfe is really good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                                How are you liking Book of the New Sun Paranoidmoonduck? I enjoyed that one. Never finished it. Had some bad reading habits at the time so I put it down for an extended period of time and just never finished it. But Gene Wolfe is really good.
                                I'm not sure how I feel about his storytelling or his characters. I'm barely out of the first quarter of the book though, so I need more perspective. The prose, however, is ************* fantastic. This is the first thing I've ever read by Wolfe, but I've been really impressed. It's really rare you find science fiction or fantasy that reads like this book does (some early Neal Stephenson...maybe).

So yeah, I like it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information