Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone here read the Wheel Of Time series?



    "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

    Comment


    • Just got the entire Sherlock Holmes collection of novels and short stories from Amazon. I'm excited.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

      Comment


      • So I know someone mentioned the movie in the movie thread, but has anyone read The Road?

        It's really weird because I saw it in a store and wanted to get it, and then later that day someone mentioned the movie on here. Anyways, it looks interesting and has gotten a lot of good reviews. Plus, I like "post apocalyptic" themes.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
          So I know someone mentioned the movie in the movie thread, but has anyone read The Road?

          It's really weird because I saw it in a store and wanted to get it, and then later that day someone mentioned the movie on here. Anyways, it looks interesting and has gotten a lot of good reviews. Plus, I like "post apocalyptic" themes.
          The novel is excellent, better than the movie in my opinion...The movie definitely does the bleak and hopeless feelings of the book justice, but you can never really beat the original thing.

          The complete and utter hopefullness of the man and boy's situation is instantly felt from the beginning, and you can't help but root for their survival. The movie portrays it well, except for leaving a few things out like a dead baby's head stuck on a spike.

          This is an excerpt from an EW.com review with a few quotes from the book that describes the entire story in a paragraph. It grabs you right away.

          ''The frailty of everything revealed at last,'' the man thinks. And with that frailty, so its forever-lost beauty, which torments him daily: the pinholes in a mantel that once held Christmas stockings; the ''quaint concerns'' in a salvaged newspaper; the memory of the theater where he once heard music with his wife. By night, he dreams of the old earth; by day, he and the boy struggle onward through the ash, repetitively asking and answering the same few primal questions: Are we still the good guys (the man in fact may no longer be)? What, if anything, do we owe our fellow creatures? Are we going to die? Would we be better off dead? To this last one, the boy's mother answered with suicide, announcing to the man, ''I am done with my own whorish heart.''

          Comment




          • With the whole Late Night/NBC fiasco going on right now and if your even mildly interested in guys like Leno, David Letterman, and Andy Kaufman and where they started, it's worth reading. The book focuses on the Comedy Strike of 1979 and takes you into the lives of many of the up and coming comedians of the time. I loved it...But it made me hate Jay Leno even more.

            Comment







            • Originally posted by Jakey
              WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

              i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

              Comment




              • Just started this beast

                by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen
                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                Comment


                • Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                  Anyone here read the Wheel Of Time series?
                  If you're contemplating it, I would strongly urge against it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    If you're contemplating it, I would strongly urge against it.
                    Really? I've read all 12 so far and I think they're pretty amazing. What don't you like about them?



                    "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                      Really? I've read all 12 so far and I think they're pretty amazing. What don't you like about them?
                      The fact that the whole series could have been about 4 book long and covered all the important parts of the story?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                        The fact that the whole series could have been about 4 book long and covered all the important parts of the story?
                        I actually like the depth and complexity involved in coherently keeping multiple plots running concurrently over the course of thousands of pages. I don't think the series could have been done in four books or so at all - if someone can conjure a world and story as rich as Jordan did why not put it on paper? I mean maybe the sparknotes version would be much shorter, but do you read books to get from A to B, just to finish the story, or do you read them to enjoy the process?
                        Last edited by irishbucsfan; 01-17-2010, 06:24 PM.



                        "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                          I actually like the depth and complexity involved in coherently keeping multiple plots running concurrently over the course of thousands of pages. I don't think the series could have been done in four books or so at all - if someone can conjure a world and story as rich as Jordan did why not put it on paper? I mean maybe the sparknotes version would be much shorter, but do you read books to get from A to B, just to finish the story, or do you read them to enjoy the process?
                          The number one rule of writing is to remove anything that doesn't need to be there (a subjective qualifier to be sure, but still...).

                          I read them to enjoy the writing, not dry ramblings about the power structure of a world (especially when that power structure winds up having no real impact on the actual story) or reading for the thousandth time how each of the protagonists thinks that the other is better with girls.

                          I read a great deal of the books (up through 10 or 11) when I was 15 or 16 and just sort of felt dirty afterwards. There was so much useless **** in there.

                          The first book was good and Lord of Chaos had better pacing than any of the sequels, but the plot dragged along like an elephant with no legs. It's one thing to admire Tolkien's attention to detail, it's a whole other thing to try and top it without having the chops as a writer to carry a thousand page book.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            The number one rule of writing is to remove anything that doesn't need to be there (a subjective qualifier to be sure, but still...).

                            I read them to enjoy the writing, not dry ramblings about the power structure of a world (especially when that power structure winds up having no real impact on the actual story) or reading for the thousandth time how each of the protagonists thinks that the other is better with girls.

                            I read a great deal of the books (up through 10 or 11) when I was 15 or 16 and just sort of felt dirty afterwards. There was so much useless **** in there.

                            The first book was good and Lord of Chaos had better pacing than any of the sequels, but the plot dragged along like an elephant with no legs. It's one thing to admire Tolkien's attention to detail, it's a whole other thing to try and top it without having the chops as a writer to carry a thousand page book.

                            Fair points. It comes down to the fact that I think he can carry a thousand page book and you don't, which is a subjective opinion. They are international bestsellers though, so I might be able to say I have numbers on my side...;). Also you say there's a lot of useless crap in there, but in a genre like fantasy epic where it's fundamentally about good vs evil but set in another world, I think a lot of the detail he goes into just serves to make the whole thing better by truly immersing you in that world.

                            If you read that far up in the series, I'd really recommend the latest one that came out, which was co-written by another author using all the notes/files etc Jordan left with his wife when he died. If the pacing was your main issue you'll really like the new one, since you can't really tell which bits Jordan wrote and which Sanderson wrote, but in general the pacing was excellent - it's ~780 pages and you barely notice each one flying by.



                            "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

                            Comment


                            • I haven't finished the 11th book yet, but I agree with Irishbucsfan. If your a fan of the series and the writing you'll enjoy the length of each book. I don't mind books spilling on for hundreds of pages and I'm a fan of Robert Jordan's style, so it entertains me well enough.

                              I get so flipp'n bored at times during school and stupid pit lectures that having a long novel to plow through over holiday breaks and whatever keeps my mind stimulated...The later books have slowed in pace though and tended to kind of crawl along, I can't deny that.

                              Hopefully Brandon Sanderson finished book 12 strong.
                              Last edited by Whistler6; 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM.

                              Comment


                              • In about 6th grade I read the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. I'm sure pretty much everybody has heard of the Rewall series. I'm not sure why it is, maybe I can't realize I'm 22 and have to grow up, but I HAVE to continue to read each new novel Jacques comes out with.

                                They aren't nearly as good as they were when I was in middle school, but I have this odd sort of devotion to Brian Jacques. His newes novel in the series is coming out in Feb. and looks decent.....for a 12 year old. =\

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information