No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know its been posted in here but i feel i can finish it an start reading it all over again right away. Its that good

Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

• If you get any suspicious packages from Brent, don't open them.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• yeah, **** Ayn Rand.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          if you liked the outdoors authors, like Thoreau and etc., read A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.
          Im gonna read this now thank you sir. Im gonna read silent spring next then ill get it.

If you like environmental books and stuff you should read this

Really really good about how wolves have been persecuted throughout america and the effort to bring them back. Makes me sad and angry though.

Comment

• Silent Spring is great.

Comment

Silent Spring is great.
              Yea im pumped to read it, im also going to read The Sea around us by carson also. Ive spent so much money on books lately haha

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                If you get any suspicious packages from Brent, don't open them.
                Lol I hate her too haha. I wonder if the unibomber wrote any books i could check out....

Comment

• Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
                  I wonder if the unibomber wrote any books i could check out....
                  http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Indust...and_Its_Future

this is his essay/manifesto

Comment

yeah, **** Ayn Rand.
                    You rock.

Ayn Rand is awful.

Comment

Thanks man. I was reading him the other day and he seemed like a pretty cool guy and i agree with him on stuff besides the whole killing people thing.

Comment

• Silent Spring sucks.

bonekrusher
                        The Twitters
                        themaninblack

Comment

• I'm in the middle of this and I like it so far, I might be a little to old to be reading it but the cover grabbed me.

Everyone’s heard of Malice, but hardly anyone has actually seen it a comic about a horrifying world of tricks and traps, overseen by the sinister master of ceremonies, Tall Jake. The story goes that the kids who go through Tall Jake’s deadly trials are real kids, who’ve disappeared from the real world and turned up in the comic. But it’s just an urban legend, right?

Seth and Kady think so. Until their friend Luke tells them that he’s found a copy of Malice, and the next day he disappears without trace. Seth and Kady investigate, and in doing so, they discover the awful truth. The legends are true. Malice is real.

Comment

• I have to read Death Be Not Proud because I found out that I will be teaching 9th grade instead of 10th grade. Any of you ever read that?

Comment

• Just finished the Island of Lost Maps, by Miles Harvey, who's a writer for OUTSIDE mag.

It's all about the 20-yr. criminal career of Gilbert Bland, who had about 6 aliases & stole > $10M worth of antique maps from rare books rms. in university libraries across 6 states & Canada. He was only prosecuted by 4 states (NC, VA, MD & DE); the rest including British Columbia in Canada thought it wasnt cost effective to extradite & prosecute him so he served only ~18 mos. in a minimum security Federal pen.

Bland was an antique map dealer in Florida who did a brisk business for decades b/c of the huge collector demand for them, original antique maps dating from the 16th Century through the later 19th have increased in value since 1980 by > 400%.

Bland did it by using a smuggled razor blade to slice pgs. from rare books, stuffed them in his clothes, walked out with them, & got away with it b/c libraries had this commodity that had increased in value to that of gold & diamonds, but b/c of budget cuts, general egalitarian attitudes taken by clueless librarians (who mostly had no idea of the thefts until yrs later) & overall lax security the crimes went unreported.

He was caught in the act at Johns Hopkins in B-More by security guards who chased him out the door, & his long criminal career was uncovered not b/c he sold them over the internet as he did for yrs (the FBI Antiquities Recovery team has since developed tracking software to detect stolen collectibles for sale on the Net), but b/c once he was caught he entered a plea bargain for time served in exchange for returning all the maps he knew of -- he had a smart attorney who plead him out & used the Vietnam veteran post traumatic stress syndrome for sympathy, the only reason he went in the Army & Vietnam at all in '68 was b/c he got caught stealing a car at 17. Only through the efforts of a lowly UVA campus cop who did the police legwork of tracking his credit card when he stayed overnight in Charlottesville was his whole elaborate career discovered & he agreed to return > 1,000 still missing maps, charts & artwork, most of it unreported! And there were many copycats, some college students who were said to have funded their way through a 4-yr. university degree with the proceeds of stolen maps & art sold in the pre-IP address-tracking days over the net through anonymous domain names. Bland sold maps openly in antique map fairs in Florida & elsewhere but almost never was stolen property reported, the buyers had been bitten by the obsessive nature of map collecting, no questions asked.

The Island in the title is the huge pile of unclaimed maps on a UVA table by FBI agent Gray Hill after 4+ yrs. of trying to return them to over 20 libraries, they will most likely end up in the Smithsonian b/c librarians don't know they are missing or want to admit to it that could them their jobs, & Bland's total thefts went literally into the thousands of maps.

Harvey went into great detail in the book on the long, intricately detailed history of mapmaking & of map stealing (Columbus himself & his brother stole maps that led to his voyage in 1492), the crcial importance maps held for mariners in the Age of Discovery, the millonaire leading players in the current ancient map collecting/selling marketplace, & the ~ dozen other famous map thieves who stole large quantities of them (some were college professors from their own libraries), & how most were obsessed collectors themselves who were dumb enough to frame & hang them on their own home/office walls & got caught.

Really good read for all map & crime story fans, I give it 4 stars ****.
                              Last edited by LizardState; 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• pretty sure Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist.
                                No he wasn't, & Malaka is right, he was an Existentialist. Nihilists are depressing, but not as depressing as Existentialists -- read Kierkegaard & Camus for real hardcore existential stuff, it will make you want to jump off a bridge.

Nietzsche was grossly misinterpreted after his death. His racist, German Supremacist early Nazi ***** sister (who had an extramarital affair with Richard Wagner among other misdeeds) re-edited most of his works when he died to twist his Ubermensch concept into the Aryan Nazi Superman. The Ubermensch was btw the origin of the comic superhero Superman in the Depression. In German, mensch means human being, while mann simply means the **** sapiens species of men.

Nietzsche was also committed to an asylum for depression in later life & while he was inside his sister rewrote & published lots of his works.

yeah, **** Ayn Rand.
                                Brent's right, Ayn Rand was a literary con artist, all the Free Mkt. types are quoting her stuff from the 50s now, but consider her origins: she fled Stalinist Russia so of course she embraced capitalism, warts & all. She advocated Free Love too so some thought she was a pre-hippie counterculture type, would have advocated anything IMO to keep those undergrad followers in their younger 20s in her bed when she was 30-40 yrs. older, she was a horny old White Russian egomaniac emigre, those among the Western literati who met her said she was very self-promotive & all about Ayn. The White Russians were the ones who lost the civil war with the Bolshevik Reds & most who were able fled the country to avoid persecution, Rand was among of the most famous celebs among them. As a writer I have to give props for her prose style, but I question her motivations.
                                Last edited by LizardState; 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information