No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props on Consider the Lobsters, as I believe David Fosters Wallace was quite possibly one of the smartest human beings of the past few years.

Just read Michael Lewis' (Blind Side) first book Liar's Poker from his time at Salmon Brothers on the bond trading desk. Quick easy read but not nearly as fun as Monkey Business as far as stories on Wall Street go.

Next up is: Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders.

Iowatreat should read some Umberto Ecco.

Comment

• Iowatreat should read some Umberto Ecco.
      3 words for iowatreat if he wants some Magical Realism: Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

100 Years of Solitude, Love In the Time of Cholera, Constancia & Other Stories of Virgins, etc.

Work your way up through Latin authors to the late Argentine Luis Borjes (Labyrinths) & Mexican Roberto Bolano (2666).

Comment

• 100 Years of solitude is such a tedious ******* book to read.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Browsing this thread is making me want to read something new. Most recently read..Planet of Slums:very interesting-and The Known World:just unforgettable.

and considering this next,

Originally posted by borg9
          Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
            Work your way up through Latin authors to the late Argentine Luis Borjes (Labyrinths) & Mexican Roberto Bolano (2666).
            I'd define magic realism as different than surrealism, but Borges is a great writer and Bolano is a good one. If surrealism is the goal, the two authors I've read a lot of lately are Italo Calvino (Invisible Cities and Cosmicomics) and Haruki Murakami (Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World).

Comment

• Just finished reading : The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham. It's a bit of a slow read but it's definitely a really good Fantasy series with excellent world building. One of the only series I ever read that gets better with each books. The ideas and the way they are used are top notch. IMO, a must read for every fantasy reader.

Comment

• You guys should all learn French just so you can read some Christian Mistral. The guy is a genius with words.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Job;2262980]You guys should all learn French just so you can read some Christian Mistral. The guy is a genius with words.

What kind of story is it? I'll look it up.

Comment

• Just about finished with the Insiders by Easton Ellis.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete_norm View Post
                      What kind of story is it? I'll look it up.
                      It's autofiction. It's mostly about the author's reactions to the death of a friend. Not as much a story as a journey through emotions, which Mistral seems to be able to regurgitate on a piece of paper with poetic, harsh beauty.

Comment

• Are there any decent translations out there. I love me some great prose, but I'm not about to go learn french for one book.

Comment

• Probably not, sadly.

Comment

• Just finished reading this:

good stuff and if you have any interest at all in surfing you'll love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                              Just finished reading this:

good stuff and if you have any interest at all in surfing you'll love it.
                              I've been a huge Kem Nunn fan since Unassigned Territory that I read in 1988. I just read Tijuana Straits last yr, it has lots of San Diego surfing ambiance & lore in it too.

Nunn's a great prose stylist & he's been called the quintessential SoCal fictionalist after he wrote Pomona Queen. PQ is next on my Nunn Books To Read list.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                I've been a huge Kem Nunn fan since Unassigned Territory that I read in 1988. I just read Tijuana Straits last yr, it has lots of San Diego surfing ambiance & lore in it too.

Nunn's a great prose stylist & he's been called the quintessential SoCal fictionalist after he wrote Pomona Queen. PQ is next on my Nunn Books To Read list.

Did you watch John From Cincinnati on HBO? Nunn was a consultant for the show and his novels are a clear influence on the characters. Was a genius show for the 12 episodes HBO allowed to run before canceling it because it wasn't Deadwood and people didn't know what the **** was going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information