Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
    Just read the Lincoln Lawyer (again) in preperation to go see the movie. All Michael Connelly's books are good.

As for P.I./tough guy Authors i'd rank them:

Lee Child (Jack Reacher)
    Robert Crais (Elvis Cole and Joe Pike)
    Raymond Chandler (Philip Marlowe)
    Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller)
    Robert Westlake (John Dortmunder)
    I agree here that Michael Connelly is a damn good writer! Chandlers books are terrific as well, I recently read "the long goodbye"and that was one of the best books I have read. Im currently reading all the award winners (edgars awards) and have found other authors that have genuine talent.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

• Anyone care to talk about Cloud Atlas? I just finished it and plan on starting again, soon, actually. Simply because I enjoy it so much its worth a second read.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Just read Keep the Meter Running, and I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Meter-Run...s_156281011_34

Quick, easy read. The writer is really clever.

Comment

• I've never read anything by Soseki Natsume, so I'm going to check this one out after I finish The Face of Another:

Comment

• Decided to hold off on Kokoro for now, as this one is a bit shorter:

Comment

• I've still got another fifty or sixty pages left of The Setting Sun, but I think I'm going to go ahead and read another of Dazai's works after this. They're pretty quick/easy reads which are considered some of the best Japanese novels of all time. Dazai spent most of his time on drugs and prostitutes, attempting suicide various times after one of his literary idols, Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, took his own life. He tried to kill himself with a girl he barely knew, but only she drowned. After a few more attempts, he and his wife were successful in drowning.

Comment

• Started reading Gravitys rainbow. Difficult to keep track of every character but so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Originally posted by WMD
                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                Originally posted by gpngc
                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                  How was the NCTELA? I am going to the Texas one in January.

To keep this on point, I am currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I highly recommend it.
                  The national conference was amazing. If you can get your school to pay for it a bit, you should totally go Brent. I won't be going to next years because it's in Minnesota, and I'll be a first year teacher, but the next one is in Atlanta and I'm going for certain. I learned a ton at the conference and got a whole classroom library, haha.

If you ever go let me know! I went with a group this year and it was a blast.

And screw all your grown up books! Young Adult lit for life!
                  (shameless self-promotion)
                  Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• started reading Lawrence in Arabia; highly recommended for those of you into oral history.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• If we start a SWDC book club we can alternate genres forenci

Originally posted by WMD
                      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                      Originally posted by gpngc
                      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Here's what I'm trying to finish right now:

Diplomacy (Kissinger)
                        The Twenty Years' Crisis (Carr)

Also interested in reading some other foundational texts of realism, such as:

Politics Among Nations (Morgenthau)
                        Theory of International Politics (Waltz)
                        The Tragedy of Great Power Politics (Mearsheimer)

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information