Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    I was just surprised by some of the choices and more surprised by some of the omissions. I didn't mean to knock your literary tastes..
    And i'm sure we can agree on Borges being fantastic.

The Omissions are hard to deal with. It'd be a little easier if we went strictly for post WW1 authors because... well, then you have Conrad dropping out, Kafka dropping out...

I also tend to probably overrate Woolf and Cather, even though, in my mind, it's impossible.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
      And i'm sure we can agree on Borges being fantastic.
      Most definitely. Oh, and I would really give Calvino another chance. Invisible Cities is, in my opinion, a must read.

Comment

• I've been meaning to read a little Calvino. Invisible Cities might be the next book I buy. That's the only book I've seen by him with a premise that appeals to me.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I am impressed with alot of peoples knowledge on authors in here. I try and read a book every two weeks if I can, but there is no way I could name off lists like you guys.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
          I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

• Here is a little list of interesting authors for those here interested in litterature from the world. List contains a very wide range of different writing styles, perfect for those interested in the art form as much as the story.

Japan - Kenzaburo Oe,Yukio Mishima
            Maghreb (Northern Africa) - Tahar Ben Jelloun
            France - Philippe Claudel, Romain Gary/Emile Ajar
            Poland - Witold Gombrowicz
            Czech Republic - Milan Kundera
            Egypt - Naguib Mahfouz
            Germany - Thomas Mann, Heinrich Böll
            Hungary - Agota Kristof
            Yugoslavia - Danilo Kis
            Quebec - Wajdi Mouawad, Nicolas Dickner, Denis Thériault, Patrick Nicol, Christian Mistral, Normand Chaurette (I'm from there, thus I have a high knowledge of Quebec's litterature)

Comment

• Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
              I am impressed with alot of peoples knowledge on authors in here. I try and read a book every two weeks if I can, but there is no way I could name off lists like you guys.
              Yea, I really need to get back into reading for enjoyment. School has really taken that desire out of me.

^A Bonekrusher production^
              Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• You want a tough but gratifying read? try this on for size:

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                Originally posted by TitanHope
                R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
                  I am impressed with alot of peoples knowledge on authors in here. I try and read a book every two weeks if I can, but there is no way I could name off lists like you guys.
                  Quality not Quantity. My M.O.

Comment

• Originally posted by raiderz4life View Post
                    You want a tough but gratifying read? try this on for size:

Or the guided tour of the afterlife in Inferno, also by Dante Aligheri, & for the Gustave Dore engravings if for no other reason!!

Comment

• I have such a hard time grasping that The Inferno was written in the early 1300s...

I mean, the language, the processes of conceptualization, it's just 'new' feeling still. Which pretty much means it's awesome too.

Comment

• I got the book a few months ago and i'm nowhere near half way done....doing reading for school doesn't help but i have to read it slow and carefully so i can understand what I'm reading

Comment

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                          Quality not Quantity. My M.O.
                          This. Honestly, if you can really manage to read a book every 2 weeks, you're reading at a rate I've never come close to. I really doubt I've read 26 book (novels or significant non-fiction) in any year I've been alive. Do some research, talk to people, get some good recommendations.

As for the Inferno and the Divine Comedy, I really recommend finding John Cleese's audio version and listening to that as you read it. It's just fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            This. Honestly, if you can really manage to read a book every 2 weeks, you're reading at a rate I've never come close to. I really doubt I've read 26 book (novels or significant non-fiction) in any year I've been alive. Do some research, talk to people, get some good recommendations.

As for the Inferno and the Divine Comedy, I really recommend finding John Cleese's audio version and listening to that as you read it. It's just fantastic.
                            Yeah. 2 weeks, not so much, takes me a month for a book, and i read an hour a day or so.

if you spend 2 weeks on a book. it's because you're not thinking while your reading.

Comment

• Or just because some books are kinda short. Some of my favorite ones are 150-200 pages long. Those never last a month.

Comment

• I've read some pretty big books in a matter of 10 hours.....i'm more of a fiction kinda guy...I have yet to find a non-fiction book to keep me hooked...the only few that have are "loosely" based on a true story but are more fiction than not
                                Last edited by Raiderz4Life; 10-09-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information