X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoidmoonduck
    started a topic Books

Books

I figured it was time to replace the old Literature thread with something new and fresh. What's everyone reading these days?

Some recent additions to my bookshelf...

Good, but not great. Then again, I think most contemporary mystery/thriller stuff is crap, so perhaps this was great by comparison to its genre. Well written, but not well written enough to make me want to read the sequel.

A really excellent book. It's rare that a novel about the contemporary status of a country manages to not lean on social value for its validity. This book manages to.

I got to consolidate my various JLB books into one nice collection, which I am now currently reading through in its entirety. Anyone who hasn't read Borges should.

And, because I can't get enough Borges...

Because Peter Sis and Borges are both awesome and so are mythological creatures.

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    Here's what I'm trying to finish right now:

Diplomacy (Kissinger)
    The Twenty Years' Crisis (Carr)

Also interested in reading some other foundational texts of realism, such as:

Politics Among Nations (Morgenthau)
    Theory of International Politics (Waltz)
    The Tragedy of Great Power Politics (Mearsheimer)

Leave a comment:

• Jvig43
    replied
    If we start a SWDC book club we can alternate genres forenci

Leave a comment:

• Brent
    replied

started reading Lawrence in Arabia; highly recommended for those of you into oral history.

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent
    How was the NCTELA? I am going to the Texas one in January.

To keep this on point, I am currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I highly recommend it.
    The national conference was amazing. If you can get your school to pay for it a bit, you should totally go Brent. I won't be going to next years because it's in Minnesota, and I'll be a first year teacher, but the next one is in Atlanta and I'm going for certain. I learned a ton at the conference and got a whole classroom library, haha.

If you ever go let me know! I went with a group this year and it was a blast.

And screw all your grown up books! Young Adult lit for life!

Leave a comment:

• Jvig43
    replied
    Started reading Gravitys rainbow. Difficult to keep track of every character but so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    I've still got another fifty or sixty pages left of The Setting Sun, but I think I'm going to go ahead and read another of Dazai's works after this. They're pretty quick/easy reads which are considered some of the best Japanese novels of all time. Dazai spent most of his time on drugs and prostitutes, attempting suicide various times after one of his literary idols, Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, took his own life. He tried to kill himself with a girl he barely knew, but only she drowned. After a few more attempts, he and his wife were successful in drowning.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    Decided to hold off on Kokoro for now, as this one is a bit shorter:

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Jones
    replied
    I've never read anything by Soseki Natsume, so I'm going to check this one out after I finish The Face of Another:

Leave a comment:

• mqtirishfan
    replied
    Just read Keep the Meter Running, and I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Meter-Run...s_156281011_34

Quick, easy read. The writer is really clever.

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Anyone care to talk about Cloud Atlas? I just finished it and plan on starting again, soon, actually. Simply because I enjoy it so much its worth a second read.

Leave a comment:

• frubulubu
    replied
    Originally posted by Babylon View Post
    Just read the Lincoln Lawyer (again) in preperation to go see the movie. All Michael Connelly's books are good.

As for P.I./tough guy Authors i'd rank them:

Lee Child (Jack Reacher)
    Robert Crais (Elvis Cole and Joe Pike)
    Raymond Chandler (Philip Marlowe)
    Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller)
    Robert Westlake (John Dortmunder)
    I agree here that Michael Connelly is a damn good writer! Chandlers books are terrific as well, I recently read "the long goodbye"and that was one of the best books I have read. Im currently reading all the award winners (edgars awards) and have found other authors that have genuine talent.

Leave a comment:

• vidae
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
    How good is Ender in Exile? A friend lent it to me but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    It's good, I liked it. It isn't as.. different as Speaker for the Dead was, so it's kind of a good middle ground/in between.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Goosemahn
    replied
    Originally posted by vidae View Post
    Ender's Game is my favorite book of all time and I'll tell you: you won't enjoy any of the sequels as much as you enjoyed the first book.

I'd recommend reading Ender's Shadow, which is the same story told in the perspective of Bean. It's a really good read and it still focuses a lot on Battle School.
    How good is Ender in Exile? A friend lent it to me but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Leave a comment:

• vidae
    replied
    Originally posted by Damix View Post
    Just finished "Enders Game." Thought it was excellent until the ending on the colony and stuff. I'll read the other books now, but I'm not as excited for them as I was when I was still reading about battle school
    Ender's Game is my favorite book of all time and I'll tell you: you won't enjoy any of the sequels as much as you enjoyed the first book.

I'd recommend reading Ender's Shadow, which is the same story told in the perspective of Bean. It's a really good read and it still focuses a lot on Battle School.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information