Veterans' Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans' Day

First off, let me just say thanks to SK, seniormysterioso and ironman for there current service. If I missed anyone, please bring this to my attention. I DO want to thank you for your service, past or present, as well.

Of the four veterans who work at my school, I was asked to make a short speech at a Veterans' Day activity we are holding tomorrow. I must admit that at first I was somewhat hesitant to do so. Seeking the spotlight is not in character for me in real life. Reluctantly I sat out this evening to write a speech that would hopefully inspire and not bore an auditorium full of middle school children. I had considered discussing the history of Veterans' Day - no, too borining. I pondered telling some of the events that I was a part of during my time in the Army. Sadly, those I can talk about at a middle school event are , again, pretty boring and those I can't talk about, well I can't talk about them for various reasons.

As I began putting some notes together, I thought back to the 'kid' I was all those years and how much I have changed into the man I am today. I would have never guessed all those years ago, I would become an English teacher. As I continued jotting down some ideas it suddenly struck me - well, let's say it struck the "English teacher" inside of me that I didn't know the proper punctuation of "Veterans' Day". Was it "Veteran's Day" -singular- or was it "Veterans' Day" -plural-. Obviously plural I thought, but I decided look ahead regardless. After a few moments of looking I was astonished to find neither was correct. I found that the proper punctuation was merely "Veterans Day" - no apostrophe at all. Bearing in mind that I am an English teacher, I knew what this meant.

The lack of the apostrophe made the word an 'attributive noun' and not a 'possessive noun'. The word Veteran had became an adjective, describing the day. Well, in light of recent events, that was unthinkable to me. This year, there needed to be an apostrophe. This year, this day would belong to thirteen very special veterans. These Army soldiers lost their lives on November 5th at Ft. Hood, Texas when a fellow soldier, deeply troubled over the political and religious implications of his service became too much to bear. In a single, terrible act, he took the lives of these thirteen when he fired on them unsuspectingly as they were preparing to deploy overseas.

In addition to the countless numbers of American servicemen and women, this year, Veterans' Day belongs to:

PFC Micheal Pearson
    PFC Aaron Thomas
    SPC Jason Dean Hunt
    SGT Amy Krueger
    PVT Franceshka Valez
    CW1 retired Micheal Cahill
    PPFC Kham Xiong
    CPT John Gaffeney
    SSG Justin DeCrow
    SPC Frederick Greene
    LTC Wuanita Wayman
    MAJ Labardo Caraveo
    CPT Russel Seager
    Last edited by CJSchneider; 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Thank you guys so much for what you have done for our country. I am going to make it a priority to thank any man or woman in uniform I see from now on. These people dedicate their lives to our country. It is a tragedy what happened to some (or most) of our vets after Vietnam, and we should always respect and remember what these people do for us. God bless you all.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can't endorse this thread enough. Thank you SK, seniormysterioso and ironman for your current service and CJ for your former service.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

Comment

Thanks for the shout outs guys...It's really my pleasure I'm happy to do it, i love doing it. CJ, SK, and ironman, thanks for your service and I'm proud to call you all brothers in arms.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Thanks to all of you. Forever in your debt.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

I'll accept thanks in the form of 10 dollar paypal donations.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              I'll accept thanks in the form of 10 dollar paypal donations.
              Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
              Thanks to all of you. Forever in your debt.
              Forever means forever SK. ;)
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

Thanks to all of our veterans.

Comment

Thanks to all veterans from all nations currently engaged or not currently engaged in battle.

Even the Coast Guard, pat yourself on the back today Coast Guard, you deserve it!

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

**** veterans

Last edited by Brothgar; 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM.
                    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

I called my grandpa. He was grippin' & sippin'... like always.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Many (most?) of you probably know this poem. But it's always been one of my favorites.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
                        Between the crosses, row on row,
                        That mark our place; and in the sky
                        The larks, still bravely singing, fly
                        Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
                        We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
                        Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
                        In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
                        To you from failing hands we throw
                        The torch; be yours to hold it high.
                        If ye break faith with us who die
                        We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                        In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

Originally posted by Jakey
                        WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                          Thank you guys so much for what you have done for our country. I am going to make it a priority to thank any man or woman in uniform I see from now on. These people dedicate their lives to our country. It is a tragedy what happened to some (or most) of our vets after Vietnam, and we should always respect and remember what these people do for us. God bless you all.
                          I'll never forget this one... I was at work on Veterans Day and a Vietnam vet came in and I told him thank you and he said I was the first person to ever say that to him. What a shame.

Comment

Thanks for starting this CJ.
                            I truly am thankful to all those who have served and currently do so.
                            Like Vikes, I'm planning on thanking all those I see in uniform.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                            my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                            But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

As always... thanks to the veterans out there.

CJ ~ Incredible idea for your speech. I forwarded it on to some of my co-workers/teachers who would also find it interesting. But..... the history of this date is NOT boring!!!!! :)

Also, while we are celebrating the end of the Great War on this date, I find it interesting and notable that, worldwide, we are down to only 3 veterans of WWI.

Frank Buckles: an American ambulance driver on the Western Front;

Claude Choules: a member of the Royal Navy during WWI & the Australian Navy during WWII;

Jack Babcock: Canadian Vet who enlisted & was trained, but never saw any action before the war was over.
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information