X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJSchneider
    started a topic Veterans' Day

Veterans' Day

First off, let me just say thanks to SK, seniormysterioso and ironman for there current service. If I missed anyone, please bring this to my attention. I DO want to thank you for your service, past or present, as well.

Of the four veterans who work at my school, I was asked to make a short speech at a Veterans' Day activity we are holding tomorrow. I must admit that at first I was somewhat hesitant to do so. Seeking the spotlight is not in character for me in real life. Reluctantly I sat out this evening to write a speech that would hopefully inspire and not bore an auditorium full of middle school children. I had considered discussing the history of Veterans' Day - no, too borining. I pondered telling some of the events that I was a part of during my time in the Army. Sadly, those I can talk about at a middle school event are , again, pretty boring and those I can't talk about, well I can't talk about them for various reasons.

As I began putting some notes together, I thought back to the 'kid' I was all those years and how much I have changed into the man I am today. I would have never guessed all those years ago, I would become an English teacher. As I continued jotting down some ideas it suddenly struck me - well, let's say it struck the "English teacher" inside of me that I didn't know the proper punctuation of "Veterans' Day". Was it "Veteran's Day" -singular- or was it "Veterans' Day" -plural-. Obviously plural I thought, but I decided look ahead regardless. After a few moments of looking I was astonished to find neither was correct. I found that the proper punctuation was merely "Veterans Day" - no apostrophe at all. Bearing in mind that I am an English teacher, I knew what this meant.

The lack of the apostrophe made the word an 'attributive noun' and not a 'possessive noun'. The word Veteran had became an adjective, describing the day. Well, in light of recent events, that was unthinkable to me. This year, there needed to be an apostrophe. This year, this day would belong to thirteen very special veterans. These Army soldiers lost their lives on November 5th at Ft. Hood, Texas when a fellow soldier, deeply troubled over the political and religious implications of his service became too much to bear. In a single, terrible act, he took the lives of these thirteen when he fired on them unsuspectingly as they were preparing to deploy overseas.

In addition to the countless numbers of American servicemen and women, this year, Veterans' Day belongs to:

PFC Micheal Pearson
    PFC Aaron Thomas
    SPC Jason Dean Hunt
    SGT Amy Krueger
    PVT Franceshka Valez
    CW1 retired Micheal Cahill
    PPFC Kham Xiong
    CPT John Gaffeney
    SSG Justin DeCrow
    SPC Frederick Greene
    LTC Wuanita Wayman
    MAJ Labardo Caraveo
    CPT Russel Seager
    Last edited by CJSchneider; 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM.

• SuperKevin
    replied
    Originally posted by LizardState View Post
    Beware the roids, Kevin. They lurk in waiting & sprout like mushrooms after a Spring rain in constipated situations like that.
    Yeah. I know. I got some from boot camp and they never go aay

Leave a comment:

• LizardState
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
    At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding
    Beware the roids, Kevin. They lurk in waiting & sprout like mushrooms after a Spring rain in constipated situations like that.

Leave a comment:

• Brothgar
    replied
    At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding
    If I saw blood in my stool I would have shat bricks

Leave a comment:

• FlyingElvis
    replied
    Nice. I will now forever equate Veterans Day with the painful, intestinal shredding passing of bombshelter grade materials.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• ironman4579
    replied
    I took a crap after JRTC in 2003 that literally made my ass bleed and had me in tears.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    I'm serious. You can't take a dump for a week, then when you finally do, you crap out a Louisville Slugger. You could build a bomb shelter with some of the turds I've put out after a month in the field.

Leave a comment:

• vikes_28
    replied
    Thanks. I just lost my appetite for the next week.

Leave a comment:

• SuperKevin
    replied
    Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
    As opposed to an M.R.E. where it takes you a week just to poop again.

Leave a comment:

• vikes_28
    replied
    Thanks Veterans. You guys are always in my prayers.

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Yes, thank you all for your current or past service. What you do is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Bertuzzi
    replied
    Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
    Many (most?) of you probably know this poem. But it's always been one of my favorites.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae
    Remembrance Day ftw!

Leave a comment:

• senormysterioso
    replied
    A few years ago at a drill we were in the field in the morning and had an MRE for lunch and then had Golden Coral for dinner...my digestive system collapsed into a singularity, it didn't know what was what.

Leave a comment:

• Brent
    replied
    mmm, got to love that lack of fiber.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
    Golden Coral too if you feel like having violent diarrhea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information