• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y the Last Man is good

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

The Surrogates is amazing, and of course better than the movie. Read The Surrogates while listening to a Russian Circles album (possibly while high) for maximum enjoyment.

Comment

Fables is excellent.

Y, anything by Frank Miller or Alan Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
          I'm a fan of the Batman graphic Novels.
          -The Long Halloween
          -Dark Victory
          -Knightfall
          -The Hush series
          -Year One
          -The Killing Joke
          -The Dark Knight Returns

All those good ones. I also liked Civil War from Marvel.

Speaking of Batman, I need to buyArkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Comment

Watchmen. Arguably the best graphic novel of all time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Some of Frank Miller's stuff is good (Batman: Year One) but a lot of his **** is just that: ****. He's been making stuff for so long, I guess that's unavoidable. Alan Moore and Warren Ellis are far superior writers and you should make a point of reading their more popular stuff.

Try and avoid just reading super hero stuff. A lot of it has been beaten to death and the story-lines get so strange and esoteric that they cease to make much sense (This is pretty much the case with every recent Superman comic I've tried to read).

My personal favorites...

From Hell - Alan Moore's take on Jack the Ripper. Be forewarned, it's entirely black and white and the dialogue actually approaches historical accuracy of English around that time period (which means it says a whole lot of nothing much of the time).

Transmetropolitan - One of my very favorite series. Probably Warren Ellis' best work, which is saying quite a bit. Warning: might make you a bit paranoid while you read it.

Watchmen - Of course. Perhaps the most ambitious and amazing piece of work ever in this format. That said, it might not be the best place to start.

Sandman - Neil Gaiman's masterpiece doesn't get nearly enough credit. It's easily on par with his best literary novels and has fantastic artwork.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Probably the best place to start when it comes to Alan Moore. The universe it takes place in is awesome (as is the artwork). Bonus if you are at all knowledgeable about literature around the turn of the 20th century. Don't worry, it's way better than the horrible movie based on it.

Hellblazer - By Jaime Delano. This is a pretty fun series, although I've only ever read bits and pieces of it. Also much better than the movie based on it.

Oh, and if you're at all inclined, you can usually find torrents of .cbr files online. These are scans of comic books designed to viewed in a .cbr reader (there are tons of freeware ones out there). It's usually a good way to figure out if you like something enough to buy it, or to avoid buying it entirely (if you don't mind reading off your computer screen).
              Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Co-sign Sandman. Just pick up the whole run, well worth it.

Comment

The Walking Dead?

Almost anything with Writer: Geoff Johns in the credits?

Comment

It depends on if you're talking graphic novels in the technical sense, or if you're referring to the comics medium as a whole. If you want edgy, then Vertigo is the way to go. Fables, 100 Bullets, and some others are not only R rated, but well written. Marvel MAX is inferior to DC's Vertigo, but Supreme Power would rock your socks off. It's very good, and it's pretty political.

Frank Miller's Daredevil run was great, and you can't go wrong with Bendis or Brubaker Daredevil either.

Andhow is Birth of a Nation? I've been wanting to read that for a while, even if Reggie Hudlin's ****** name is involved. McGruder's my boy, so I wanted to see what he wrote.
                    "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                    ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information