I'm A College Boy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm A College Boy!

I'm active military and just got selected for a program that allows me to go to college full time while still active duty.
    I'm enlisted now and after I get my degree I will be commissioned.

My question is... I've been accepted to Oregon State, Penn State, U of Arizona and U of New Mexico.

WHAT'S THE BEST SCHOOL TO GO TO?!
    I'm going for Mechanical Engineering.
    Married with a little boy... so something family friendly would be nice.
    Cost of living? Quality of school?
    Anyone go to any of these universities? Or live in the area close by?

Help me out!!!
    -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

I don't think you can go wrong with Oregon State, Penn State, or Arizona. I don't know much about either of the aforementioned schools mechanical engineering programs, though.

Congratulations regardless.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

If I remember correctly from my time at RPI a lot of the mechanical engineers I knew applied to both RPI and Penn State because both RPI's and Penn State's engineering departments always ranks fairly well in national publications. I've also visited Penn State while looking at Ph.D. programs and have had two different professors who earned Ph.D.s there and it always seems like it is viewed as a pretty nice college town.

Comment

All very good academically in general aside from the U of New Mexico which I don't know much about.

Do some research on the programs. Visit if you can. Depending on your family, decide on where you'd like to raise your child/ the proximity of your extended family.

You can't make a wrong decision here it seems. Congrats man and best of luck.

By the way, thanks for serving!

Comment

Hey congrats man, that is great news and a terrific opportunity. I don't know too much about those schools but I have plenty of family in New Mexico and they all love it.

Comment

go 2 U of A out of all those schools

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
              I'm active military and just got selected for a program that allows me to go to college full time while still active duty.
              I'm enlisted now and after I get my degree I will be commissioned.
              1. I never knew you were in the military, what branch and MOS?

2. Is this like a "Green to Gold" program? If it is I have some advice for you.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Go to Cal Poly Pomona :P

U of A is the only one I've been to and it's really nice and relatively inexpensive. The only bad thing is you'll be spending the summers there.

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I'm still active duty and don't have the ability to visit.
                  I actually have to give my career counselor my selection by Monday so all I have to go by is Google and what friends (yes, that includes you guys!) have told me.

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                  1. I never knew you were in the military, what branch and MOS?

2. Is this like a "Green to Gold" program? If it is I have some advice for you.
                  1- I'm in the Navy. MOS? That's not a navy term so I'll guess. What's my job? Rank? I'm an E-6 and I'm a Nuclear Machinist Mate. Basically, I'm a mechanic that works on Nuclear reactors and its auxiliary systems. I'm stationed in upstate NY as an intructor at the nuke schools.

2- Again- not sure but I'm guessing yes. I'm going from Blue to Gold so it makes sense.... advice? I could always use some. Let me know.

Comment

2- Again- not sure but I'm guessing yes. I'm going from Blue to Gold so it makes sense.... advice? I could always use some. Let me know.
                    I know when I was in the Army, Green to Gold programs only sent you to HBU's and you had to already have 30 - 60 college hours.

Make sure you look into what field you will get your commission in, I know a ton of Green to Gold people who had no choice but to branch "Needs of the Army", which meant most of them ended going MP or Chemical Corps. I'm sure having a family already will influence what you want.

Will you go from E-6 to O-1(E)? In any case, I've always felt that the best officers were former NCO's anyway. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                      I know when I was in the Army, Green to Gold programs only sent you to HBU's and you had to already have 30 - 60 college hours.

Make sure you look into what field you will get your commission in, I know a ton of Green to Gold people who had no choice but to branch "Needs of the Army", which meant most of them ended going MP or Chemical Corps. I'm sure having a family already will influence what you want.

Will you go from E-6 to O-1(E)? In any case, I've always felt that the best officers were former NCO's anyway. Good Luck.

Nah, this program (Seaman To Admiral-21) doesn't require you to have any credits. I actually have zero bc I joined right after high school.
                      I also got picked up for the Nuclear field so that's what I'll be doing after commissioning.
                      You're also right. I'll go from E-6 to O-1E.
                      I feel you. I also thought the best officers were prior enlisted.
                      i'm hoping to continue that trend...
                      The best part of this program is that for the next 3 yrs I'll be active duty
                      but the only thing I'll have to do is go to college full time.
                      I'll continue to get E-6 pay and money for school. Then 3 yrs from now i'll return to the fleet.
                      I've been in 7 yrs. After commissioning I'll be half way to retirement. Sweetness. I'll retire at 37 with 0-4 pay (hopefully)

Comment

Sweet deal. Will they use up you GI Bill money, or will you still get that after you retire?

Navy does have GI Bill, right?

Comment

Actually No. It's weird when it comes to finances.
                          They give me 10K/year for college. I can apply for FAFSA/scholarships and grants
                          I can not use my GI Bill, Tuition Assistance or any other military college financial help.

I'll be applying for every scholarship. Better believe it.

Comment

Actually No. It's weird when it comes to finances.
                            They give me 10K/year for college. I can apply for FAFSA/scholarships and grants
                            I can not use my GI Bill, Tuition Assistance or any other military college financial help.

I'll be applying for every scholarship. Better believe it.
                            You should also look into residency rules for tuition. Some schools you could pay in-state rates if you live there for even a small amount of time.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

^^^True. I do have to look into all that mumbo jumbo.
                              I've heard that some states (none come to mind at the moment) that allow active military to pay in state tuition. Anything to save money.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information