What laptop should I buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What laptop should I buy?

SWDC, I ask you, what laptop should I buy? I am starting an internship and need a laptop. I am pretty sure I want a PC because I am used to them and I have heard from most sources you get way more for your money. That said, if you think a Mac is worth it, let me know why.

Ideally I would want to spend around $600 to $800, but I could go higher if it was clearly worth it. The main things I want are good battery life, speed, a fairly large hard drive that wont burn out on me, and a decent sized screen with a nice display for watching movies. If you have any questions that would help you make a better recommendation, let me know.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Rob S; 12-19-2009, 07:20 PM.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Well I work at Best Buy in the computer department... for just knowing what we have this one is my personal favorite. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9556143

Most people don't know about Asus but they are one of the best computer manufacturers out there today

The computer has :
    Roughly an 8 hour battery life
    4GB of Ram
    500 GB Hard Drive
    15.6" Screen

Its extremely portable because it weighs roughly 4 pounds and is roughly an inch thick.

Comment

As someone whose family has both a Mac and PC, let me tell you that a Mac is not worth it, especially if you don't know what the benefit to having one is. If you think it looks "cool" and want to mess around in Garage Band, you have to really consider if that's worth an extra $500-1000 compared to an equivalent PC. Macs might be more user-friendly if you're just starting out on computers, but if you are feeling pretty good about PC, there's no reason to switch, because you already know how to use one of them. As for PC, I'm not entirely sure which brand is the best. I have a Gateway laptop and it's not what I'd hoped it'd be when I got it, it overheats way too much. Most of the tech-savvy people I know use Dell laptops, so that would probably be a pretty good choice.

Comment

I know when I was researching laptops, I had decided on Lenovo before I decided to build myself a desktop instead. They may not be the flashiest, but Ive heard they are next to indestructible and are very well put together computers. When I do end up upgrading my laptop, thats probably what Ill be getting. The ThinkPad and the IdeaPad are models to check out. Very affordable as well.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
          Well I work at Best Buy in the computer department... for just knowing what we have this one is my personal favorite. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9556143

Most people don't know about Asus but they are one of the best computer manufacturers out there today

The computer has :
          Roughly an 8 hour battery life
          4GB of Ram
          500 GB Hard Drive
          15.6" Screen

Its extremely portable because it weighs roughly 4 pounds and is roughly an inch thick.
          very good specs for $680 but the processor speed is a weak 1.3 GHz. you should get a laptop with at least a 2.0 GHz processor. a lot of RAM doesn't really matter with a weak processor. like aps said, lenovos offer a lot of bang for your buck. HPs tend to be a bit overpriced. and Dells are decent and you should take a look at them.

if you can post more of what you're looking to do with the laptop and what size then i can recommend something for you.

Comment

i re-read the OP and see what you want and this looks really good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117958

Comment

Get an Osborne 1.

Comment

Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
                i re-read the OP and see what you want and this looks really good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117958
                That looks pretty good. I will do some more research, but that and a lenovo are def. in the running.

Comment

very good specs for $680 but the processor speed is a weak 1.3 GHz. you should get a laptop with at least a 2.0 GHz processor. a lot of RAM doesn't really matter with a weak processor. like aps said, lenovos offer a lot of bang for your buck. HPs tend to be a bit overpriced. and Dells are decent and you should take a look at them.

if you can post more of what you're looking to do with the laptop and what size then i can recommend something for you.
                  Its a 1.3 because its a low voltage processor... hence the 8 hour battery life and not having the whole laptop way 10 pounds. 1.3 is going to be fine for every day use any gaming, video editing or anything resource exhausting isn't what that Laptop is designed for.

Comment

I dont know much about that brother cain, but i am researching the one you mentioned as well

Comment

im not any sort of a computer genius but after buying a mac, i'll never go back to pc. i recommend a mac
                      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Get an Lenovo or Asus labtop, I have a Lenovo for like 2 years and it hasn't broken down yet. I use to have a dell labtop and I called for tech support and they said if I wanted to renew my warranty incase of my screen breaking and once my warranty was up guess what! my screen broke. Concidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
                          Its a 1.3 because its a low voltage processor... hence the 8 hour battery life and not having the whole laptop way 10 pounds. 1.3 is going to be fine for every day use any gaming, video editing or anything resource exhausting isn't what that Laptop is designed for.
                          yeah, i realized he wanted a long battery life so your recommendation might suit his needs better. i just always instinctively look for the most power in laptops.

Comment

yeah, i realized he wanted a long battery life so your recommendation might suit his needs better. i just always instinctively look for the most power in laptops.
                            Yeah......8 hours is insane. I think 4 is more than enough for my needs. Only time I wont have access to my charger would likely be class and classes are 3 hrs. at the longest

Comment

I am liking the vaio, falconer. One question, do you think it would have any problems with freezing up when running multiple apps at the same time, that would be important in the office.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information