No announcement yet.

The History Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Although I would add that the Great Schism occured at the same time as the Hundred Years War and the Black Death, two events which also greatly undermined the existing political/cosmological/theological order.

It's important tomake the distinction that while these events likely hurt the CHURCH, they did NOT hurt Christianity (so much as something called Christianity could really exist), it mostly led to people looking for spiritual answers outside of the church, not the absence of religion altogether.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Addict's feudalism answer is a good one, although a lot of scholars would argue there never was such a thing as feudalism (I wouldn't go there though, cause you would have to explain why).

Comment

• Feudalism was the second era on age of empires 2. Right after dark age and before castle age. That is the A+ answer.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
        Originally posted by njx9
        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
          Feudalism was the second era on age of empires 2. Right after dark age and before castle age. That is the A+ answer.
          I loved Age of Empires..i'm about to install taht on my laptop and play for hours on end.

Comment

• Civilization is and always will be the best.
            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
              Civilization is and always will be the best.

best Civ game evar!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• That's the first one I had also. I bought Civ 3 also but haven't played a new one since then.
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Civ 4 is the best, hands down. Culture and philosophy ftw.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                    Do your own work tjunstein, you might learn something. :)
                    You make me a sad panda. lol.

Comment

• I'm so glad to have BF51 on these forums. :)

All of us current history majors must unite!

History really isn't that difficult compared to other social science majors, though it is nice to 'share' each others' gift of knowledge whenever possible.

It'd be nice to keep this thread active for those that enjoy the discipline.

Comment

• Civ 2 was the bomb. This one time I started on my own huge island. I got so far on that one before my computer crashed. Starting on your own island is the best, there are no competitors and so you can build up a strong area full of roads and trade. From there, I moved to the closest island and wiped out eveyone along the way except for Carthage, my ally, and Persia, who I was at war with. That was a tough war since I had to transport an army across to a new continent and then found a base city there. But I was doing pretty well.

I miss that saved game :(

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by 619 View Post
                          I'm so glad to have BF51 on these forums. :)

History really isn't that difficult compared to other social science majors, though it is nice to 'share' each others' gift of knowledge whenever possible.

It went the way of the dodo pretty quickly when I first started it. Rutgers has a good history department so I'm glad I was able to learn from some of the professors there. I'm also glad it's what I graduated with even though it doesn't help me get a job anywhere considering I don't want to be a teacher.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            It went the way of the dodo pretty quickly when I first started it. Rutgers has a good history department so I'm glad I was able to learn from some of the professors there. I'm also glad it's what I graduated with even though it doesn't help me get a job anywhere considering I don't want to be a teacher.
                            I am in the exact same place. It rocks.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Civ 2 was the bomb. This one time I started on my own huge island. I got so far on that one before my computer crashed. Starting on your own island is the best, there are no competitors and so you can build up a strong area full of roads and trade. From there, I moved to the closest island and wiped out eveyone along the way except for Carthage, my ally, and Persia, who I was at war with. That was a tough war since I had to transport an army across to a new continent and then found a base city there. But I was doing pretty well.
                              Civ 1/CivNet will always be my favourite, probably cause it was the first game I ever really played a lot. I still remember my save game that my mum deleted where I was about 10 turns from having a town in every spot possible basically(without overlapping grids) and the entire world irrigated and railroaded and one little Zulu town surrounded by tanks where Perth is in reality(they respawned in Australia). It was an epic adventure I was so pissed when it went bye bye...

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by 619 View Post
                                I'm so glad to have BF51 on these forums. :)

I don't know how much I buy that certain majors are really easier than others, you get out of any major what you put into it. That goes for college in general too. You can get much the same education at a state school for undergrad as you can at an expensive private school if you put the effort into it.

It all comes back to good Will Hunting.

"See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a ****** education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library "

On a unrelated note, I'm reading The Prince right now. I nominate Machiavelli 2012.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information