No announcement yet.

The History Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm taking World Civilization II this semester so I do like this thread.

Comment

• I'll be majoring in history, and so far I've learned about pretty much every regional history out there, except for American history. It goes without sayign then that I really want to take an American history course at some point during unviersity
      Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
      Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
      A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        Could the war have ended without Grant becoming General in charge?
        Yes, the South only had one thing on the North: military leadership. The North had greater means of production, more soldier, better supplies and easier means of transportation. The best Southern leaders were rich sons who had parents who sent them off to the nation's best military academies at the time.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

If you were Robert E. Lee would you have fought for state or country?
          State. To turn your back on Virginia (Lee's home state) would have betrayed everything I stood for (as R.E. Lee). However, there Southerners who fought for the North and Northerners that fought for the South.

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
          Yeah, state made complete sense from his perspective. If it were me I think I would've gone country if I recognized the slavery element, but people forget that the war was a lot more than the slavery issue. It was an old-fashioned turf war.
          A turf war that has its roots in slavery. Every grand debate between the people of the North and those of the South started over the peculiar institution.

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Yes, the South only had one thing on the North: military leadership. The North had greater means of production, more soldier, better supplies and easier means of transportation. The best Southern leaders were rich sons who had parents who sent them off to the nation's best military academies at the time.
          Yes, the South did have an advantage over the North but it was not what you would think initially. The South main advantage was that they were not the aggressor and could use interior lines to quickly reinforce threatened points. However, they only used this advantage a handfull of times during the war.
          The military leadership is debatable. During the early years of the war and for the most part in the Eastern Theater the South had an advantage. But in the Western and Trans-Mississippi Theaters of the war the North held the advantage of military leadership. When looking at the generals on both sides, the Southern military leaders peaked early and maintained their performance, or dipped into valleys, until the end of the war or until they were killed. Union leaders gradually progressed through the war (Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan, Chamberlain, Hancock, etc) and by the close of 1863 all were bringing their A game.
          Attrition to the top of Southern leadership added another disadvantage to the Confederacy. Mostly due to the way men of the Old South considered leadership, a lot of Confederate generals led from the front increasing their chances of being killed or wounded. Because of that practice, the South lost numerous bright and capable commanders that otherwise could have helped their cause if they would have led from behind (which is the proper way to lead militarily speaking).

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by Canadian_kid16 View Post
            I'll be majoring in history, and so far I've learned about pretty much every regional history out there, except for American history. It goes without sayign then that I really want to take an American history course at some point during unviersity
            Always nice to see more History majors out there. In college you're likely to see that much of what you learned in high school was bullshchit, have fun.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• I'm a history/poli sci major as well.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I'm a history/poli sci major as well.
                I'm done with my history major, finishing up my geography major this semester. Who would have ever thought so many history majors on a sports website...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Econ major/Poly sci minor :O

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
                  like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

Mostly turf war because of slavery though. Another Civil War question...Could the war have ended without Grant becoming General in charge?
                    As General commanding all of the Armies and being commander of the Army of the Potomac? The answer is a sound yes. After 1862, the South stood very little chance of winning the war.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                      I'm done with my history major, finishing up my geography major this semester. Who would have ever thought so many history majors on a sports website...
                      Because History majors are easy to get... using them after graduation is the hard part.
                      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                      Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Dude View Post
                        Because History majors are easy to get... using them after graduation is the hard part.
                        So ******* true. History degrees are worthless imo unless you want to teach.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Then be like me and add in an addition 3 years of school to get a teaching license & masters degree.

When I graduated from UW Madison W a BA in History, i knew that my options were teaching or managing a McDonalds. I'm glad that i made the right choice
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                            So ******* true. History degrees are worthless imo unless you want to teach.
                            Yep go me......

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Then be like me and add in an addition 3 years of school to get a teaching license & masters degree.

When I graduated from UW Madison W a BA in History, i knew that my options were teaching or managing a McDonalds. I'm glad that i made the right choice
                              Good choice. The question "Can I super-size that?" does not require a history degree to answer.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Then be like me and add in an addition 3 years of school to get a teaching license & masters degree.

Yeah, I plan on either joining the police force or military this year. I'm taking a test on the 27th of this month for the police and will begin working out Monday to get in shape for either job.

WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information