X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottyboy
    started a topic Scotty needs help

Scotty needs help

To all my...comrades(?) at SWDC, I come to you, with a problem. I first am thinking, is it weird to ask important advice from people on a messageboard? Obviously, it is not and that blasphemous thought is now gone. SO, here's my situation: (keep in mind, I **** the bed this semester in terms of grades and realizing you have to actually do work at college...)

As some of you know, I was thinking of majoring in sports management. I then realized there are very few career opportunities in Sports Management, but I always just wanted to try, because sports...they be my life man.
    SOO then I decided recently to try and switch to education, probably a social sciences/history teacher (like law, government, econ, sociology etc). People tell me I'm good with kids (insert the pedo joke here), and I can also coach at 3-5 different sports (vast knowledge, I know). So I thought, I'll switch to education blah blah blah, enter the 5 year Graduate program and be good to go. But then today, I got an email from a dean I talked to a while ago. He was a sports management major back in the day, and teaches some select courses at RU. I inquired and emailed him a while ago about his class on Sports in American Culture (cool class, right?). He emails me today saying it's been opened and filled 3 times over the last few weeks, and kids recieved his syllabus and dropped out. So he said I'm next in line, sending me the special permission number. Oh, and it's a 300 level course...

SO here's my plans in my head:

a) keep trying with sports management, take this course and see what happens

b) switch to education, tell him I'm not interested some **** and forget the whole thing. Or say it's too hard, or maybe later on at RU if I can. Focus on getting my GPA up with 100 level core classes.

c) switch to education, but still take the class. It sounds like a cool class and a rare opportunity to take it. It's worth credits and could be cool.

So, my lovers at SWDC, what say you? You wise, beautiful people.

• wogitalia
    replied
    I totally understand that, but I mean, it's not like I don't like education or haven't thought of it. I do love sports a lot and have always wanted to work in sports, but it's such a difficult field to get into.

**** growing up haha.
    Yeah.. growing up sucks. Enjoy College while you are there, best time of your life or at least mine has been downhill ever since as far as having fun and enjoying it goes.

Hell... it can't hurt to chase the dream and if you can't get it, go back and do the safe thing. Put off that whole growing up thing...

Leave a comment:

• yodabear
    replied
    I'm going to Disney World.

Leave a comment:

• Brent
    replied
    Originally posted by Caddy View Post
    I'd go with my first instinct.
    murder, rape and pillage? I dont see how that applies

Leave a comment:

• Caddy
    replied
    I'd go with my first instinct.

Leave a comment:

• Vikes99ej
    replied
    I thought Sports Management is a waste.

Leave a comment:

• scottyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
    I would chase your dream mate.

Take it from someone who is slugging away in a job because it "made sense" from an employment side of things and doesn't enjoy it one bit. It really saps you of life in everything you do and unfortunately, once you get into full time employment it will be the vast majority of your life so you really want to enjoy it.

Seriously, stick with the dream, chase it until it is gone and you know there is no chance.
    I totally understand that, but I mean, it's not like I don't like education or haven't thought of it. I do love sports a lot and have always wanted to work in sports, but it's such a difficult field to get into.

**** growing up haha.

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by UKfan View Post
    WWRRD? (What would Ray Rice Do?)
    Score a touchdown?

Leave a comment:

• wogitalia
    replied
    I would chase your dream mate.

Take it from someone who is slugging away in a job because it "made sense" from an employment side of things and doesn't enjoy it one bit. It really saps you of life in everything you do and unfortunately, once you get into full time employment it will be the vast majority of your life so you really want to enjoy it.

Seriously, stick with the dream, chase it until it is gone and you know there is no chance.

Leave a comment:

• yodabear
    replied
    I am not one to give academic advice. My advice to myself was **** Milwaukee, I am going to work in Florida for a semester, and I am going to do that.

Leave a comment:

• scottyboy
    replied
    I think I'm not going to take the course. Going to wait to get my grades out of the shitter and try and take this in the future.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    Never switch things up mid-stream. If you are going to change, change quick. Talk to your course adviser and see what classes you can take to be able to be prepared for an alternative certification test after you get a Sports Mang. degree. In the mean time look into taking some lower level edu. classes as elective courses.

Leave a comment:

• Brothgar
    replied
    At first I thought that you were going to ask us to get a pic of Rice's naked juicy thighs but I guess this is different.

I'd go with A and here's why. Take the course the best courses are the 300 - 400 level courses that is where you get into the meat of what you are doing which makes the course easier. Second most of your first year courses can transfer to another major so I'd say bide your time talk to your advisors that is what they are there for. But either way you decide take the course anyway it works well for a 300 level elective that you won't have to worry about if yoyu do decide to switch majors you will be a little ahead of the game.

Leave a comment:

• nepg
    replied
    There are more opportunities in sports management than you may realize, and you can turn any degree into a teaching degree (if you have to)...just takes a little longer than a straight Education degree.

Leave a comment:

• UKfan
    replied
    WWRRD? (What would Ray Rice Do?)

I don't understand how your crazy college studies work, just do what you really want to do, getting a degree in a subject you don't enjoy (as I did), isn't that great

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information