Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
    Philosophy huh? I major in philosophy.

I want everyone's personal definition of what it means to be human.
    this is somewhat interesting, so let's go. mainly because the words in the question can be made to mean different things. I'll hold off on my own analysis.

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• If you know who created a thread, just go to their profile and click "find all threads created by ___ ", it'll come up if it hasn't been deleted.

Comment

• I'm gonna sleep on that question, think a lot and probably end up not posting anything here because I'll be all confused.

Comment

• I don't think the question is really all that interesting. We made our first species classification the moment we recognized that there was us and other animals. We came to classify "us" as "human".

Recognizing that, I imagine that there is an astounding number of things you could list that make us human, from the innocuous to the important. Then again, if you phrase the question with emphasis on the "meaning" part then let's just cut out the human part. To ask the question in the first place is human. What does it mean to exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
            To ask the question in the first place is human. What does it mean to exist?
            Yeah, I think that's what I meant by different meaning of words. I was thinking about a different meaning of "be," a meaning which is hit upon by Heidegger and existentialists, and you seem to have the general gist of that meaning. They weren't concerned that we are, but were concerned with what does is mean that we are.

by BoneKrusher
            <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
              better syllogism:
              a) Lois is attracted to Superman
              b) Clark Kent is Superman
              c) Lois is attracted to Clark

or as an enthymeme:
              a) Lois is attracted to Superman
              b) Lois is attracted to Clark Kent

this is what I get for choosing the Rhetoric track English degree...
              But the opposite can also stand to reason

1) Louis isn't attracted to Clark Kent
              2) Clark Kent is Superman
              3) Louis isn't attracted to Superman.

So which one is the false statement?
              Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
              oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

• Originally posted by broth223 View Post
                But the opposite can also stand to reason

1) Louis isn't attracted to Clark Kent
                2) Clark Kent is Superman
                3) Louis isn't attracted to Superman.

So which one is the false statement?
                1 is false, because she was attracted to Clark Kent.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I didn't ask what makes us human. I just want to know what you guys think it means to be human. It doesn't have to be interesting to everyone, I'm just one curious cat.

But to know what it means to exist? I would say recognition of the external and any type of consciousness is existence. Must give this more thought.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)

Comment

• What does it mean to exist?

That could mean
                    1) is there meaning to my existence
                    or
                    2) What does "I/he/she/you exist" mean, or better: What are the conditions that match the meaning of the phrase "I/he/she/you exist" so I know that I/he/she/you do?

The first is an age old problem, the second is I think what you're after. Are you trying to think of how to delineate cases of people who are mentally ill/vegetables and wondering if they could be said to be alive? Because that's just a question of being alive. And that's also debatable, maybe you have to be fully cognizant to be considered alive. To know that you exist is a given, see Descartes, Rene.

by BoneKrusher
                    <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• This thread doesnt actually exist

bonekrusher
                      The Twitters
                      themaninblack

Comment

• My bitterness would probably push me to say that being human is having the ability to destroy every inch of nature's beauty for our own worthless comfort, because we're the only living creatures who are assholes enough to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
                          My bitterness would probably push me to say that being human is having the ability to destroy every inch of nature's beauty for our own worthless comfort, because we're the only living creatures who are assholes enough to do that.
                          Beavers build dams from trees. Dams that stop up rivers and streams that affect river life.

Not trying to say you're wrong. Just saying them beavers are huge dicks as well.
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• A species of anything is on average a speciesist. That, however, has no bearing on whether we as humans should be speciesists.

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                              Beavers build dams from trees. Dams that stop up rivers and streams that affect river life.

Not trying to say you're wrong. Just saying them beavers are huge dicks as well.
                              Well their influence stops somewhere and is part of the ecosystem balance as they're benefical to whatever lives in marshes and swamps.

Comment

• that presupposes the current ecosystem with beavers. If there were no beavers perhaps the ecosystem would have been different.

by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information