Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    Favorite philosophers everybody?
    I still haven't read enough philosophy, but from what I can tell I'd like the ordinary language philosophers like later Wittgenstein, JL Austin, Grice, and Searle. If we're talking about Ancient Greek philosophy, I like what I've heard about Aristotle, Socrates, Epicurus but not Plato. I've read up a little on existentialism which thus would describe guys like Sartre, Paul Tillich, and Heidegger; it's very interesting and it says some good things but I wouldn't consider myself one.

Oh, and I think what Renji is getting at is about how concepts don't really have a solid definition. Things like "charisma," "liberalism," "love," etc are so screwy in scope that it may lead people to think that they don't exist because they are used so differently. The best we can do is define them for a discussion, finding the necessary and sufficient conditions of the definition and recognizing the differences in use and definition between people, and see what we can agree upon that it refers to.

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
      I'm glad that we're all inferior to you now!

Of course a centaur exists. It doesn't exist in the real world, but it sure as hell exists in story books and what-not. Are we excepted not to have words for things that are in story books?

You may of course reply that maybe charisma doesn't exist in the real world and just in our imaginations, but all the examples of charisma are in the real world. Since it's really just a word for a noteworthy combination of emotions and attitudes, it's pretty easy to say it exists. We may debate the parameters of the definition (is that person being charismatic right now?) but that's a different question.
      i guess so. thats what i was trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by iworshipbender View Post
        I remember when I used to argue about religion.

Then I turned 17.
        I remember when I thought I was too cool to discuss religion with others. Then I turned 21.
        Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
        oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

If you remember in one of my earlier posts I said we could probably agree on who is charismatic and who isn't, but what you base your argument off of is like saying a car is a car. in which case I'll gladly trade you my Saturn for your BMW (hey a car is a car right).

Charisma is a combination of various elements perceived by others to make a person have a certain attractiveness which people are drawn to. Personal preferences surely play a part into this, but it is this combonation of many things, either perceived by the conscious or subconscious that makes up charisma.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

It's not about me being too cool to discuss religion. It's just come to the point that if I do discuss religion, I want to gouge my eyes out because there is absolutely no point in it. You are never going to convince someone that the bible is not a book that should be used as reference and no one is going to be convinced of any omnipresent being like a god if they don't believe in it already.

I SUPPORT A GREENER OREGON

Comment

It's not about me being too cool to discuss religion. It's just come to the point that if I do discuss religion, I want to gouge my eyes out because there is absolutely no point in it. You are never going to convince someone that the bible is not a book that should be used as reference and no one is going to be convinced of any omnipresent being like a god if they don't believe in it already.
              The best thing I find about discussion is that the goal doesnt have to be to convince others your right. I love talking with people who see things differently then I do, it helps to see things from the other side. Too many people see things in terms of right and wrong, but its much more beneficial to just talk and walk away from the conversation with a better understanding of everything.

Originally posted by WMD
              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
              Originally posted by gpngc
              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

You've confused discussing religion with evangelism.

by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                  Charisma is a combination of various elements perceived by others to make a person have a certain attractiveness which people are drawn to. Personal preferences surely play a part into this, but it is this combonation of many things, either perceived by the conscious or subconscious that makes up charisma.
                  If it helps anybody, let's look at the polar concept: awkwardness. Does awkwardness exist? Is it a concept that people react to in real life? Is it a judgement that people place on themselves and others based on the way they interact with the people around them? I would say all the answer to these are yes.

Now, granted, concepts like these are open to some interpretation in practice. To what degree of the concept someone recognizes charisma or awkwardness is pretty loose, but that's true for almost any concept. Tall/short are relative judgments that would vary based on the conditions of the sample size you are referencing (ex: If I grew up as a Maasai in Kenya, my idea of tall or short wouldn't come close to reflecting yours).

I'm not saying that the status of a concept always reflects that of its polar, but in this case I think they are quite similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    Does awkwardness exist?
                    a situation is awkward only to the person who feels awkward.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

No, PMD is correct, there is a polar opposite to charisma. If "charisma" is the perception of traits, so would be "awkwardness".

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        a situation is awkward only to the person who feels awkward.
                        Is charisma not bound to the same interaction necessity to find its meaning? A person is only charismatic if the person interacting with them recognizes them as such.

Comment

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Comment

Comment

That's basically a form of the liar's paradox, which says that the truth value of anything like "This statement is false" is a paradox.

I don't have a good answer.

by BoneKrusher
                              <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

I think therefore I am.

However, I have sexual dreams but wake up knowing my **** was unsucked so I know my thinking is not always true.

Therefore, can I say with 100% certainty that I exist?
                                JORDYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information