The Philosophy Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's you dreaming, not thinking.

Also, if you hallucinate, that still proves that there is something that hallucinates, meaning that you exist. The hallucinated things may not exist, but someone is hallucinating them.

How far the cogito can be extended is debatable. As in, to what extent do you exist, and what makes up "you"?

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Actually its "I think I Think therefore I think that I am"

Comment

Charisma for me is that intangible thing beyond that which you can explain that attracts you to another human. I do not think it is quantifiable though, which makes it hard, perhaps it is best described as the combination of things beyond that which is obvious that makes you like someone. It is an aura as much as anything.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I dont think anyone is charismatic. I just dont see saying someone is charismatic is of any use.

saying someone is charismatic for me is basically saying: hey, that guy did something.

Charisma is something that depends on the person himself.
          People thought Hitler was charismatic. I dont think so at all. He looked like an awkward little man, just really ugly, speaking really really weird things. Just because he came everytime he spoke openly, doesnt mean i think he is charismatic.
          For me its like Good or bad. A person cant be good or cant be bad. Hitler was good in the eyes of people that supported him, bad in the eyes of those he persecuted. Therefore, saying someone is good, is really not of use for anything.

I feel like, even though tall and small is a relative concept, it can be of use when talking with people that are used to the same standards. There is no standard for charisma. no relativ fix point.

also: i dont understand what u mean by car.

Comment

If you think all cars are the same you are wrong. If you don't believe that, try getting someone who drives a Mercedes to trade it for a "hoopty" - even trade.
            It was my analogy to your statement about cakes being the same.

In regards to charisma, can it be broken down into identifiable traits? Surely, but to say it does not exist is like saying a car does not exist because it can be broken down into identifiable pieces (bolts, nuts, tires, etc). Charisma may be different because the traits are not always the same and have an inter as well as intrapersonal set of differences.
            Last edited by CJSchneider; 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
              If you think all cars are the same you are wrong. If you don't believe that, try getting someone who drives a Mercedes to trade it for a "hoopty" - even trade.
              It was my analogy to your statement about cakes being the same.

In regards to charisma, can it be broken down into identifiable traits? Surely, but to say it does not exist is like saying a car does not exist because it can be broken down into identifiable pieces (bolts, nuts, tires, etc). Charisma may be different because the traits are not always the same and have an inter as well as intrapersonal set of differences.
              okay i admit i was wrong with the existance. but its not a characteristic in itself and it really doesnt help at all

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                okay i admit i was wrong with the existance. but its not a characteristic in itself and it really doesnt help at all
                That depends on what you are using it for. I promise you a car salesman with charisma sells more then one with out it.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                  That depends on what you are using it for. I promise you a car salesman with charisma sells more then one with out it.
                  thats what im saying. thats prolly just a salesman handy with words. Charisma is just a really really broad view on that. Id rather use a little more specific description. Charismatic is not a personal characteristic and therefore not really that useful describing people

Comment

Handy with words or the ability to effectively communicate is just part of charisma, along with confidence, attractions we are aware of only on a subconscious level, etc. Would the same guy who was handy with words be as charismatic if he had bad skin, a dead tooth and was was obese?

Comment

• Originally posted by iworshipbender View Post
                      It's not about me being too cool to discuss religion. It's just come to the point that if I do discuss religion, I want to gouge my eyes out because there is absolutely no point in it. You are never going to convince someone that the bible is not a book that should be used as reference and no one is going to be convinced of any omnipresent being like a god if they don't believe in it already.
                      Originally posted by iworshipbender View Post
                      I remember when I used to argue about religion.
                      Then I turned 17.
                      I don't think anyone was really arguing. If people don't discuss religion/philosophy, how can thought advance? There's nothing counterproductive about discussing it unless you make it out to be.

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                      People thought Hitler was charismatic. I dont think so at all.
                      Godwins Law. ;)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Godwin's Law meets Rule #34

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                          Godwins Law. ;)
                          Maybe it applies to Germans differently though... ;)

If the problem with charisma is one of specificity and not of existence (which is seems to be here), then I would ask if you feel you could quantify everything about a person's attractiveness, down the most basic, for every single person you meet. You probably could do a good job for most people in your life, but could you do everyone?

For me, I know that there's a somewhat ineffable idea behind attraction. It would be folly for me to try and iterate exactly why I like some people and dislike others. If you asked me why I pursued certain women in my life and not others, I would have trouble quantifying that as well. There's something in us that existed way before we discovered language that helps rule that attraction and interaction and we're forced to use somewhat open-ended concepts to approach defining it.

Comment

• Yes and yes to what PMD and CJ are saying. To sum it up, concept words are gooey and fluid. Trying to pin down characteristics about some things that we intuitively stick words to is really, really hard, but we know what we mean enough by each other when we say them that they are useful concepts.

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen
                            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• I would say that it is precisely their "gooey and fluid" nature that makes them so useful. They are words that are supremely capable of communicating a whole range of things based on their context. So long as people take the time to establish that context in their communication, so as to avoid confusion, they are some of the most powerful words in the English language.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                                some of the most powerful words in the English language.
                                I'm still going with the F-word as the most powerful word.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information