The Psychology Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Psychology Thread

I know there is a dreams thread somewhere. But I figure, since I am so into psychology, I should start a thread about it, and discuss it with my NFLDC brethren. So here are some things that I constantly ponder in my head. And make fun of me if you want, but these are just some things that really make my mind buzz. And by buzz I mean have it go in 8000000000 different directions.

1. Am I the only person in this world? Are the people around me only figments of my imagination? Why do the people that are around me act the way they do. I have faith that these people sharing my life with me are actually here, but how can i be sure? I've thought about this since I was a kid.

2. Do we talk to ourselves because we are lonely or because we are actively thinking about something. Why is it we sit and have conversations with ourselves? IMO, its because when we are talking to ourselves, about something that may be bothering us, we understand what's going on. Does that make ourselves feel better about it? Because it's comforting that WE know WHY we are having this problem?

3. Do ghosts only exist if we believe in them? I have a belief in spirits. But not things like Casper the friendly ghost. I believe that there are spirits out there that are here to look over us (as I wrote that I feel like I'm being watched...lol). But they are never out there to hurt us.

4. How do other people see, hear, feel, smell, and taste things? I've always wondered what things look like from another person's point of view. Or what something else feels like. Is that book in front of you orange? Or is it green? How does the eye of another see it? When I taste chicken, does it taste the same in everyone else's mouth? Or does it taste like beef or pork? What is the texture of that table top? Is it smooth? Rugged? Hard? Soft?

5. My last and most thoughtful...thought. This one may sound weird to some. But when we die, do we become someone else? Do we become something else? Or do we become nothing. Why would we forget about our past life? Why couldn't we remember it and enlighten others about it?

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

I'm very tired atm or else I'd try to tackle more as I think about random things like this all the time, but I've just got something to add to #4. This is something I've discussed with friends in the past, made me think of it.

What if everyone sees the world in different colors? For example, what the "green" I see, is actually the "red" everyone else sees and visa versa? We would really have no way of ever knowing without literally seeing the world through another's eyes and processing it the same way as their brain does....I think it's just one of those things we assume is the same for everyone because we have no means to test it to ever be sure...

One could drive himself to madness thinking too deeply about some of this stuff...

Comment

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

I hate to quote a movie about your #3, but in The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Father Moore put it best when he said "Demons exist whether you believe it or not." I've heard stories from many people, there's real life exorcisms and i've even had a few paranormal encounters myself. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that there is spirits/ghosts/demons, whatever you want to call them, and not all of them are simply watching over us with good intentions.

It's hard to have that conversation without getting too much into religion, but throw my hat into the "believer" ring.

Comment

1, 3, and 5 are philosophy, although 3 and 5 border on religion. Psychology can say some things about them, but they're actually philosophy.

Don't mean to hack your thread, but it should be kept in mind that those aren't the domain of psychology.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I don't understand the we see different colors thing. I mean if I am sitting in a room with a friend and I say what color is this book and he says green and I see green doesn't that prove we see the same colors????
            Originally posted by SunTzu_22
            Just let it go RWO.
            We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

I'll jump in on #3 also. Likewise, not trying to get too much into religion, but There is nothing in the bible that indicates there are ghost;once you did you go to heaven or hell - no coming back. Demons however are a different story. I too have seen some pretty weird **** in regards to psychic/paranormal stuff, so I have to believe that demons do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
                I don't understand the we see different colors thing. I mean if I am sitting in a room with a friend and I say what color is this book and he says green and I see green doesn't that prove we see the same colors????
                basically, if the red u see is the same red as i see.

Comment

Not necessarily even that. If you have been told your whole life that this is red but I have been told this is red it may mean that if you looked at things through my eyes, an apple would be this color.

Edit: We do however know this is not the case as rods and cones work the same in your eyes as they do in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                    Not necessarily even that. If you have been told your whole life that this is red but I have been told this is red it may mean that if you looked at things through my eyes, an apple would be this color.

Edit: We do however know this is not the case as rods and cones work the same in your eyes as they do in mine.
                    but whats with the perception of your brain?

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                      but whats with the perception of your brain?
                      Well that's why the question exists at all. If we changed the name of a color, would that change the color? If everyone on earth was convinced this is yellow then it would be.

Comment

The reason I say these things are "psychology" is because its what rattles my brain. Naturally we all have crazy outlandish thoughts. Kind of like all the thoughts I explained. I said nothing about religion. This doesn't have to be all about thoughts, it can be about dreams, conditioning theories, and the brain. I mean if this thread gets locked, I'll understand why. But I do not think it should.

So don't ONLY discuss what I have thought out. Put crazy thoughts, dreams, or just things about psychology you have to think about.

sig by fenikz
                        I have an iPhone.

Comment

You're so wise vikes...

Comment

You know, I didn't even have to look at this thread to know what you were going to say Caddy. You're kind of like Bos.

sig by fenikz
                            I have an iPhone.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information