No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew McCutchen FINALLY makes the All Star team. Good ****.

Comment

• Rolen replaces Chipper in the All-Star game. Neither of them even deserved to be in the game. Aramis should have been the replacement.

Comment

• Can someone explain BABIP to me... I'm a noob to this new age baseball stats/metrics/voodoo
        Is WAR a baseball term too? If so, if you could enlighten me on that as well
        -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
          Can someone explain BABIP to me... I'm a noob to this new age baseball stats/metrics/voodoo
          Is WAR a baseball term too? If so, if you could enlighten me on that as well
          batting average on balls in play. from what i understand the average is about .300 and if a guy has a high babip, his average would be due to drop (and a low babip would probably be due for a higher average). faster players tend to have higher babip. im not the best guy to have explain sabrmetrics, though.

edit: and WAR is wins above replacement. something like the amount of win shares a player is better or worse than a replacement level player (i'm unsure as to what defines a replacement player, though)

here are the definitions from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/
          http://www.fangraphs.com/library/ind...offense/babip/
          Last edited by sbh15; 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbh15 View Post
            batting average on balls in play. from what i understand the average is about .300 and if a guy has a high babip, his average would be due to drop (and a low babip would probably be due for a higher average). faster players tend to have higher babip. im not the best guy to have explain sabrmetrics, though.

edit: and WAR is wins above replacement. something like the amount of win shares a player is better or worse than a replacement level player (i'm unsure as to what defines a replacement player, though)

here are the definitions from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/
            http://www.fangraphs.com/library/ind...offense/babip/
            And pitchers with a high BABIP mean they have been extremely unlucky, and low BABIP vice-versa.
            Last edited by Docta; 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docta View Post
              And pitchers with a high BABIP mean they have been extremely lucky, and low BABIP vice-versa.
              Other way around.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• opposite for pitchers high babip means they are unlucky

Comment

• My bad. Fixed the post.

Comment

• dbacks pen is returning to last years form ugh

Comment

• I dislike the Yankees. I hate other teams more however. Always respected Jeter. But how they are treating the fan that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit for being human giving the ball back is amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodapoop View Post
                        I dislike the Yankees. I hate other teams more however. Always respected Jeter. But how they are treating the fan that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit for being human giving the ball back is amazing.
                        Let me guess. Everyone is saying he's a dope for doing the right thing and giving Jeter back the ball? Only on this planet...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• I don't know that there is a right thing to do in that situation, it's not Jeter's ball. Once it goes into the stands it's the property of whoever grabs it.

I sure as hell would have kept it.

Comment

• Did he throw it onto the field or something? I would of given it to him but I would of wanted a package of signed stuff and tickets or something

Comment

• You know that ball has been valued at 250,000 dollars right? Maybe 1% of the people on this earth would give the ball back.

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                                Did he throw it onto the field or something? I would of given it to him but I would of wanted a package of signed stuff and tickets or something
                                He got tickets to every game the rest of the season. And three jerseys and some other crap signed by Jeter.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information