MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
    I'm not sold that the Mets will get a great deal for Beltran. He's a pure 2-month rental that can't be offered arbitration. Maybe they get a B/B- prospect along with a C.
    There's a long history of overpaying for premium rentals, and Beltran would be pretty much free.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
      There's a long history of overpaying for premium rentals, and Beltran would be pretty much free.
      But not being able to offer him arbitration is huge.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• You're reading to much Buster Olney.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I haven't read Olney at all. I don't even know where to find him. I do read Giants blogs and this was discussed a lot last week.
          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
            There used to be. But that history has slowed, especially for position players. The top line pitcher is normally the overpayed rental. As they can make more of a difference over a short period of time.
            Last edited by Jughead10; 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• I think because the market is going to be so thin on bats plus a high number of teams in the race that we'll still be fine. I don't think we're getting a top 30 prospect but I could see something in that 30-70 range as the headliner.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                I have no problem dealing Beltran to the Braves or Phillies. It would be better for us actually since it might take away a top prospect from them which strengthens us for the future and weakens a division rival.

Singleton's lack of power this year kind of scares me. Only a .399 SLG and a .121 ISO. He's also striking out a little more than years past.
                Law noted that the Phillies brass changed his swing early in the year. He had a toe injury he was playing through as well and once they pulled him from LF and let him go back to his natural swing. He's one of the youngest hitters in the FSL and does have great patience at the plate. His numbers are slightly down but I'm a major fan of him and I think LeMar, Amaro, etc. all are as well.
                Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

I think because the market is going to be so thin on bats plus a high number of teams in the race that we'll still be fine. I don't think we're getting a top 30 prospect but I could see something in that 30-70 range as the headliner.
                  Where's the precedent?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
                    Law noted that the Phillies brass changed his swing early in the year. He had a toe injury he was playing through as well and once they pulled him from LF and let him go back to his natural swing. He's one of the youngest hitters in the FSL and does have great patience at the plate. His numbers are slightly down but I'm a major fan of him and I think LeMar, Amaro, etc. all are as well.
                    Don't get me wrong I'd take him in a heartbeat especially for Beltran. It was just something I noticed this morning when looking at his numbers that scared me a little.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Andy Oliver for Beltran.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        Where's the precedent?
                        I don't know when's the last time up to 10 possible playoff teams wanted one bat in a market where he might be the only one available? You can make a good argument for Beltran to the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Rangers, Angels, Braves, Phillies, Giants, Brewers, Tigers, and even the White Sox and Pirates. With all those teams in the running I don't think it's hard to imagine a good return. Even when Lee was on the open market last year you really only had interest from 2 or 3 teams.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Yankee's ruled him out.

Comment

I don't know when's the last time up to 10 possible playoff teams wanted one bat in a market where he might be the only one available? You can make a good argument for Beltran to the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Rangers, Angels, Braves, Phillies, Giants, Brewers, Tigers, and even the Pirates. With all those teams in the running I don't think it's hard to imagine a good return. Even when Lee was on the open market last year you really only had interest from 2 or 3 teams.
                            But Lee is a huge difference maker. Beltran isn't. He's definitely an upgrade for most of those teams, but how much are the Red Sox going to give up for a 6th or 7th place hitter for 2 months?

And how much are some of those smaller market teams going to mortgage their future, for a race they'd still be behind in even after the trade?

That being said, all it takes is one team. But I just don't see the value for Beltran as high because to most of these teams he has zero long term value.
                            Last edited by Jughead10; 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                              But Lee is a huge difference maker. Beltran isn't. He's definitely an upgrade for most of those teams, but how much are the Red Sox going to give up for a 6th or 7th place hitter for 2 months?

And how much are some of those smaller market teams going to mortgage their future, for a race they'd still be behind in even after the trade?
                              I don't know that's why I'm not GM. We've seen teams get scared and make funny deals to try and put them over the top. When you have rival teams possibly going after the same player it could only help. Beltran in the playoffs could absolutely be a huge difference maker. You can make an easy argument that a bat is more of a difference maker than a SP. Lee could only affect 2 games in a series while a bat plays everyday. As for the smaller market teams I don't think they are really in the hunt but it still creates an illusion that a large number of teams are after him. We'll see soon though what he brings back.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'd love to see the Pirates get Beltran, but I really don't see anything that we have that the Mets would want. We don't really have the prospects to out do another teams offer.

Best we could offer is a deal built around Marte.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information