No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And even if you do deal Storen, just put Clippard in the closer role.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Alex View Post
      While I agree that everyday players have more value than relievers, I just don't want to part with the franchise closer before he even really gets going. Even more so when Mike MacDougal of all people was the team's closer a couple years ago. I want a dependable shutdown closer for the future, not a random veteran rotation every year.

That said, I like Denard Span a lot. Do the Twins need a catcher with Mauer's move to first seemingly inevitable? I'd willingly deal Derek Norris from the minors and another player if necessary.

Mauer will still be the catcher for the foreseeable future, although eventually a move to first, third, or a corner OF spot is likely. We'll just take Wilson Ramos back if that's cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Alex View Post
        While I agree that everyday players have more value than relievers, I just don't want to part with the franchise closer before he even really gets going. Even more so when Mike MacDougal of all people was the team's closer a couple years ago. I want a dependable shutdown closer for the future, not a random veteran rotation every year.

That said, I like Denard Span a lot. Do the Twins need a catcher with Mauer's move to first seemingly inevitable? I'd willingly deal Derek Norris from the minors and another player if necessary.
        You'd rather deal Norris than Storen? Come on, it's just a reliever.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
          Mauer will still be the catcher for the foreseeable future, although eventually a move to first, third, or a corner OF spot is likely. We'll just take Wilson Ramos back if that's cool.
          Jim Bowden would make that deal. I'm dead serious.

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          You'd rather deal Norris than Storen? Come on, it's just a reliever.
          Considering Ramos is pretty much locked up as the catcher going forward, yeah, I'd willingly part with a guy the team doesn't have plans for than the player they spent a first round pick on just two years ago and have groomed as the closer for the foreseeable future.

Originally posted by phlysac
          I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
          The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.

Comment

• Norris is going to be better than Ramos though.

What you're getting out of Ramos this year is basically just what he is. He'll hit a little better maybe but he was never a great hitter in the minors. Norris has a lot more upside.
            Last edited by yo123; 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Derek Norris is considerably more talented than Ramos. And it doesn't matter what went into his development, in the end it's a reliever. Every single year there are relievers you can find as a bargain basement acquisition and they turn into goldmines (Joaquin Benoit for the Rays, Al Al for the Tigers this year, Tyler Clippard for the Nats, etc.).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                Norris is going to be better than Ramos though.

What you're getting out of Ramos this year is basically just what he is. He'll hit a little better maybe but he was never a great hitter in the minors. Norris has a lot more upside.
                I think they're about equal in terms of potential ceiling. Norris more than likely is going to be a better hitter but I think Ramos is going to be one hell of a defensive catcher.

That said, if I had to pick one I'd lean towards Ramos because he's at least proven he can at the very least be adequate at a big league level. That's not to say that I don't think Norris can succeed, I just like the proven commodity.

I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                  Derek Norris is considerably more talented than Ramos. And it doesn't matter what went into his development, in the end it's a reliever. Every single year there are relievers you can find as a bargain basement acquisition and they turn into goldmines (Joaquin Benoit for the Rays, Al Al for the Tigers this year, Tyler Clippard for the Nats, etc.).
                  For real? I've only read that Norris beats him at the plate but not in the field. If you have a source, I'd like to read it. I really haven't been that involved this season in terms of following day-to-day action on the big league level and progress of prospects. I'm usually a totally nerd over that stuff.

Unrelated: I'm digging the CM Punk avatar and signature.

Comment

• Gracias. Even if Ramos is too good defensively to move from catcher, Norris' bat could easily play at a corner outfield spot of some sort, or perhaps first. Point being, relievers just shouldn't be considered such important commodities in comparison to proven above average regulars at hard to find positions like center.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                      Thomas Neal for Orlando Cabrera.
                      Wait...why did the Indians buy Jimenez then sell Cabrera? Odd combination of moves.

Comment

• Twins seem content on just treading water lately. Buzzkill.

Also Blackburn you are dreadful.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                          Wait...why did the Indians buy Jimenez then sell Cabrera? Odd combination of moves.
                          b/c we don't need Cabrera with Kipnis being called up and Jason Donald in AAA (started a lot of games for us last year in the major leagues) being just as good of an option at the plate....and I don't think Cabrera was very happy riding the pine all the time now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                            Gracias. Even if Ramos is too good defensively to move from catcher, Norris' bat could easily play at a corner outfield spot of some sort, or perhaps first. Point being, relievers just shouldn't be considered such important commodities in comparison to proven above average regulars at hard to find positions like center.
                            That's true, Norris at first would be nice. I think perhaps my fandom is overriding my logic on the subject of reliever value, which is something I strive not to do. I like Storen a lot and I don't want to trade him. Not just because he's a good young pitcher with upside but becasue I'm still scarred from the 2009 bullpen. Mike MacDougal, Ron Villone, Jason Bergmann, Joe Beimel and Julian Tavares. Those were the five guys the Nats marched out of the bullpen the most during that season. Their combined K/BB was 1.3 and three of them averaged more than 5 BB/9. I think you can understand my fear of going back to that.
                            Last edited by The Alex; 07-30-2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Soooo happy the Rangers declined the Padres demands for Derek Holland in return for Heath Bell. PHEW!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                Soooo happy the Rangers declined the Padres demands for Derek Holland in return for Heath Bell. PHEW!

Holy ****. No wonder Bell never actually gets traded at the deadline.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information