MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Damix View Post

Paying 10 million probably hurts their laughing a bit.
    Not so fast, my friend. We were all expecting Atlanta to have to pay the entire 15 million and still feel obligated to start him every fifth game. There was likely no better alternative to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
      Matt Capps is a Type A free agent. Really?

Cuddyer is Type A, Kubel is Type B. I'd imagine both get signed. Please let Cuddyer walk now that he's Type A.
      It doesn't take much to be a Type A or B FA...which is why it's so easy for teams like the Red Sox and Yankees to have such ridiculous farm systems on top of out-spending other teams on their MLB roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        5 million dollars isn't **** when we're talking starting pitchers in free agency.
        Right, but it's generally pretty helpful when discussing a decent LF in free agency.

Comment

• That's fine. I have no idea if this move helps Atlanta. If they have someone else to eat innings that's great.

But that's what this is. The Indians paid 5 million for Lowe to hopefully bounce back, or at the worst, be an innings eater. The Braves paid 10 million dollars to save 5 million dollars. If they needed that 5 million for something else, that's great, but in a vacuum this is hardly a bad move for the Indians.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
            It doesn't take much to be a Type A or B FA...which is why it's so easy for teams like the Red Sox and Yankees to have such ridiculous farm systems on top of out-spending other teams on their MLB roster.
            That's not why they have awesome farm systems. Your statement doesn't even make sense. If it is so easy to be a type A or B FA, wouldn't the Yankees and other big spending team be losing picks on less quality players.

20,000 posts.

Comment

• The bad move was not picking up Sizemore's option, unless the staff knows the severity of his injuries are beyond repair. Sizemore being healthy was something a truly competitive Indians team needs. I don't think they have enough prospective offense to collectively cover that gap, especially with both Lowe and Carmona in the rotation (one rebound is possible, but two is highly unlikely).

Comment

• Let the record show that I think Lowe has a really good shot at being worthy of a rotation spot in the majors, just not in an infield featuring Chipper, Uggla and Freeman. That Hudson was so good this year was a miracle, because this infield is not good to groundball pitchers.

Comment

That's fine. I have no idea if this move helps Atlanta. If they have someone else to eat innings that's great.

But that's what this is. The Indians paid 5 million for Lowe to hopefully bounce back, or at the worst, be an innings eater. The Braves paid 10 million dollars to save 5 million dollars. If they needed that 5 million for something else, that's great, but in a vacuum this is hardly a bad move for the Indians.
                  That's not my argument at all. If anything, this is a deal that helps both teams. Lowe is likely much better than whoever the Indians would have put out there at the fifth spot, and the Braves are likely much better off with Minor in the rotation than Lowe.
                  Last edited by mqtirishfan; 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

5 million dollars isn't **** when we're talking starting pitchers in free agency.
                    Its frees up enough money to go after someone like Willingham. And Lowe wasn't gonna start here this year. His replacement is already here.

Lowe was hardly the innings eater like he had been in the past. Its clear he's on the decline. Wouldn't surprise me to see him suck in Cleveland too and be DFA in June. But I wish him the best of luck, his September in 2010 helped us make the postseason and he gave us a bunch of solid starts his first 2 years in Atlanta. Unfortunately, he and a few others were huge contributors to Atlanta's September collapse.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBCX View Post
                      There are rumors of CC Sabathia being signed by the Phillies.

WTF.
                      From where? diehardcrazyphillyfan.com/forum? lol jk.

If that happened, it would be nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                        Lowe was hardly the innings eater like he had been in the past.
                        He pitched 187 innings last season. The years before that he pitched 193 and 194. All three of those years he started at least 33 games, as he's done every year of his career since 2002.

I'm not sure what you thought I meant by innings eater, but there's no statistical decline in that regard.

Comment

He pitched 187 innings last season. The years before that he pitched 193 and 194. All three of those years he started at least 33 games, as he's done every year of his career since 2002.

I'm not sure what you thought I meant by innings eater, but there's no statistical decline in that regard.
                          He may have been speaking of the quality of those innings in which he is eating.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            From where? diehardcrazyphillyfan.com/forum? lol jk.

If that happened, it would be nuts.
                            Yeah cuz what the Phillies need is more pitching.....

Comment

• Originally posted by yodapoop View Post
                              Yeah cuz what the Phillies need is more pitching.....
                              I dont think they could afford him anyway. Haven't they basically said the team salary last year was at the absolute highest it could be at?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                                I dont think they could afford him anyway. Haven't they basically said the team salary last year was at the absolute highest it could be at?
                                I'd imagine, I was speaking hypothetically cuz I think CC is gonna be a Yankee no matter what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information