MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
    What's up with Jemile Weeks? Just having a bad year?
    I don't get to see a ton of games, but 2 things seem to be hurting him.

1. He's been dealign with hip issues this year. That has taken away his lower body from his swing.

2. He's trying to put everything in the air. He's taken up a big upper cut in his swing which couple with his lack of lower body power is just a recipe for disaster for the guy who check in around a buck-forty.

Definitely a down year. We will see if he bounces back late this year. I'd give him next year to recover as well.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• How ridiculous is Sean Doolittle right now? The dude hits the pros as a two-way player from UVA and is switched to 1B fulltime. He gets off to a crazy start in Stockton and carries on great production in AA Midland.

Then he gets hurt and basically doesn't play baseball for 2 years. He switches positions back to pitcher and and flies all the way through the minors in 2 months.

This guy's FIP is 0.75!
      Last edited by nobodyinparticular; 07-21-2012, 11:30 PM.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
        I don't get to see a ton of games, but 2 things seem to be hurting him.

1. He's been dealign with hip issues this year. That has taken away his lower body from his swing.

2. He's trying to put everything in the air. He's taken up a big upper cut in his swing which couple with his lack of lower body power is just a recipe for disaster for the guy who check in around a buck-forty.

Definitely a down year. We will see if he bounces back late this year. I'd give him next year to recover as well.
        The weird thing is his ground ball rate is up 10% from last season.
        Last edited by Stash; 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• I'm starting to think that Shane Victorino (or likely Juan Pierre) is as good as gone with Domonic Brown looking a bit better as of late.

Got to see a few Lehigh games, Brown's new swing is AWESOME, which is totally not a word you should use for someone's swing. He's still a trainwreck when it comes to reading fly balls, however; he looks like he's aware of what's happening as opposed to Hunter Pence.
          Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

• Originally posted by Stash View Post
            The weird thing is he's actually hitting about 10% more ground balls than last season.
            I would attribute that to rolling over on pitches as he's trying to hook his bat around every pitch.

He's getting much weaker contact this year. His LD% is down and his infield fly % is up. Those are the 2 main drivers of a good BA.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Thank You Brewers for Lorenzo Cain & Alcides Escobar.Oh and Kyle Zimmer's 3rd pro start tonight: 5 IP, 2 H's, 0 R's, 0 BB's & 5 K's...gave up 2 singles & picked one of them off

Comment

• How good could the A's be in the next few years? The team is so young. Yoenis Cespedes is 26, Josh Reddick and Chris Carter are both 25. And the A's have Michael Choice, Grant Green and Miles Head just biding time in the minors. I'm frothing at the mouth in anticipation of a Cespedes-Choice-Reddick outfield.

And the team is so stacked with young pitchers too. Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone and AJ Griffin (all rookie pitchers) went against the best offense in baseball and they allowed three runs in three games (21 innings pitched). Parker, Milone and Griffin have all done really well so far. Out of the bullpen, Ryan Cook and Sean Doolittle are absolutely dealing. Brett Anderson (who is only 24) is coming back relatively soon. And in the minors the Athletics have Daniel Straily (126.1 IP, 162 SO's, 2.64 ERA), Brad Peacock (4.01 FIP, 9.9 SO/9), AJ Cole (2.3 ERA, 61:10 K:BB, 10.1 SO/9 in A ball) and Sonny Gray.

As excited as I am about this team right now, I'm even more excited about this team down the line about two or three more years. If Beane plays it right, he could have a contender.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                  Thank You Brewers for Lorenzo Cain & Alcides Escobar.Oh and Kyle Zimmer's 3rd pro start tonight: 5 IP, 2 H's, 0 R's, 0 BB's & 5 K's...gave up 2 singles & picked one of them off
                  Just waiting on Wil Myers arrival now....

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
                    Just waiting on Wil Myers arrival now....
                    waiting for them to dump the albatross known as Frenchy

Comment

• Even with a struggling Hosmer, that lineup looks really nice if you replace Frenchy with a RF that actually produces at an average RF offensive output level. They need to just get it done...but it looks like they won't until September - same with Odorizzi (who isn't even close to ready to come up even though people keep calling for him).

And it looks like Bubba Starling might tear through the system like Myers has, too.
                      Last edited by nepg; 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                        Even with a struggling Hosmer, that lineup looks really nice if you replace Frenchy with a RF that actually produces at an average RF offensive output level. They need to just get it done...but it looks like they won't until September - same with Odorizzi (who isn't even close to ready to come up even though people keep calling for him).

And it looks like Bubba Starling might tear through the system like Myers has, too.
                        I think they may take a bit more time with Bubba. Everything I had heard was that he was a tremendous athlete, but still a bit raw in terms of baseball ability. Which is why he spent half the year in extended spring training. I would hope he is manning CF by 2014.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

• The Padres are locking Carlos Quentin up to a 3 year deal for $27 million.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            The Padres are locking Carlos Quentin up to a 3 year deal for $27 million.
                            I'm very sad to hear that.

Comment

• There's not enough talk about the A's. Team is 13-2 in July. They are 27-14 since June 2nd.

And Yoenis Cespedes is on fire!

Discuss.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                                Discuss.
                                6.5 back in the same division as the Rangers. That is why there is no talk.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information