Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
    What about Jeter?
    He was never as good as Trout is right now.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
      He was never as good as Trout is right now.
      I don't think he's just talking about on field performance.

Comment

I don't think he's just talking about on field performance.
        I'd figure he meant someone that became a cultural and mainstream icon due to his ridiculous success on the field.

Comment

What about Jeter?
          Yeah it's not exclusive to the field. I'm talking about someone that elevates the game with stellar on-field play, mainstream recognition, etc.

I think Jeter is close, but to me he seems moreso a "regional" superstar. I mean hosting SNL, 3k hits (especially now), etc. all made him almost above the game. I think Griffey at his height though was more iconic than Jeter ever was.

But as much as I don't really like him, he's the closest.

With Jeter, I just don't see people telling their kids about how blessed they were to see him play.

Again though, it might be a little too "deep" of a discussion for just a baseball thread but the way the world is now; I think icon status is nearly impossible. Phelps, Tiger Woods, Armstrong all were but now have taints surrounding them though a bong hit only "hurt" Phelps for like a month if that.
          Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

• The Trout/Harper debate is going to fuel baseball for the next 15 years. I sort of want to compare it to Bird/Magic but in baseball it's impossible for 1 player to get his team to the playoffs so it's a tad different.
            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• This might be a no brainer, but I just got offered this trade:

I get:

Josh Hamilton
              Anthony Rizzo
              Jake Peavy

They get:

Miguel Cabrera

Should I do it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
                Yeah it's not exclusive to the field. I'm talking about someone that elevates the game with stellar on-field play, mainstream recognition, etc.

I think Jeter is close, but to me he seems moreso a "regional" superstar. I mean hosting SNL, 3k hits (especially now), etc. all made him almost above the game. I think Griffey at his height though was more iconic than Jeter ever was.

But as much as I don't really like him, he's the closest.

With Jeter, I just don't see people telling their kids about how blessed they were to see him play.

Again though, it might be a little too "deep" of a discussion for just a baseball thread but the way the world is now; I think icon status is nearly impossible. Phelps, Tiger Woods, Armstrong all were but now have taints surrounding them though a bong hit only "hurt" Phelps for like a month if that.

Yeah and its obviously a lot easier for Jeter to get to that level in New York than it is for Griffey to do that in Seattle and Cincinnati.

It does seem like that's where Trout is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                  This might be a no brainer, but I just got offered this trade:

I get:

Josh Hamilton
                  Anthony Rizzo
                  Jake Peavy

They get:

Miguel Cabrera

Should I do it?

Your friend is ********.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    The Trout/Harper debate is going to fuel baseball for the next 15 years. I sort of want to compare it to Bird/Magic but in baseball it's impossible for 1 player to get his team to the playoffs so it's a tad different.
                    And then once those two get in swing, there will be the guy who is actually the best (MJ) who people realize will win more and be better than both...

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Your friend is ********.
                      So I'm guessing you're saying I should..

Comment

• I'd like to point out that if Bonds, Piazza, and Clemens don't make the hall of fame next year, it should just be torn down and removed from existence.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines
                          So I'm guessing you're saying I should..
                          Yes

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                          I'd like to point out that if Bonds, Piazza, and Clemens don't make the hall of fame next year, it should just be torn down and removed from existence.
                          Probably true. But only Piazza will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            For what it's worth, he's a hardcore Rangers fan. But, that said, you don't think that is bound to come down at some point?
                            It will, though by how much who knows. He's one of, if not the fastest player in MLB and he has a great LD%. That's a good combination. Add in that he gets more hits due to the fact that he forces the infield to play in(by showing bunt)

he's going to have a higher BABIP than most players. 400+ it won't be, but he's a guy who can put up a .350+ BABIP

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                            To be fair Harper is more than a year younger and Trout wasn't anything special at Harper's age in the majors.
                            Different circumstances for both, so I don't know how much it really applies. Trout wasn't up for good until right after the All-star break and admitted that by the time September rolled around he was worn out/fatigued since he had never played that many games before in a season. He had an OPS over .830 at the end of August and then in September he sucked big time. Harper's been up since late April...though he seems to be slowing down some now as the season is wearing on

And I'll say that there is no way that Harper in his age 20 season comes close to sniffing what Trout is doing in his. That's not even a knock on him though. I don't even think there's a way Trout can do any better than this in the future, either. He's on pace for just a ridiculous season. If anything, Trout will just maintain or have similar numbers year after year. Look at other greats like Pujols. He came into the league and dominated from the start. Was his age 27 season any better than what he did as a 21 year old rookie? That's what makes them great IMO. They come in and just consistently put up the same great numbers year after year.

short version: Trout's number's he is putting up now are what he'll be putting up year after year(BA will fluctuate, of course).
                            Last edited by BloodBrother; 07-23-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Brodeur, you think they would bring up Castellanos for the stretch run?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
                                Brodeur, you think they would bring up Castellanos for the stretch run?
                                I really, really hope not. It would be a horrible idea.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information