MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    Is growing beards out really a stupid ass schtick though? You may as well hate every team in the NHL playoffs at that point.

Not sure what we've done that can be considered douchey besides contrived nonsense. The "Boston Strong" thing may have jumped the shark a little bit at this point, but that's still a rallying call for the city after what was a pretty real and ****** situation. The team and the fans sort of have just a bit of a right to be invested in it. Doubt they'll be pushing that whole thing as hard after this season.

...and the Dodgers "being themselves" can easily have(and has) be constructed into a narrative of them being cocky primma donnas using the same tools. I thought Puig pissing off all of the "unwritten rules" guys was pretty hilarious, but I can absolutely see him rubbing some people the wrong way.
    At the end of the day, it's a feeling. I think for this Red Sox team, it is absolutely a stupid ass schtick because that is what it feels like when I watch them. NHL rarely is and Johnny Damon wasn't. The Dodgers weren't. Brian Wilson always was and always will be. It is what it is.

I think I am above the petty Sox hater label...I'm not even a huge baseball guy until ~game 130 or so and I love Papi, so it's not a Yanks vs Sox thing. This whole Sox 'identity' just feels contrived this go around.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Puig needs to definitely be reigned in a bit, but hard to fault the guy for his behavior. His first year in the bigs and he's playing in a playoff atmosphere on the big stage. That had to be fun as hell. If that was me at 22 I'd be living it up to

I'd hate it if every player was a Brian McCann, who is apparently the unofficial policeman of baseball etiquette

Comment

• Puig is my hero. He is everything that is right about baseball, sports and life in general.
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• I definitely prefer more of the Jeter type personality if I'm trying to have an opinion on the way guys carry themselves...but the way teams reacted to Puig and the Dodgers was just as over the top and ridiculous as any of the antics they pulled. Maybe more so, even.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by KCJ58 View Post
            Yea cuz Carl Crawford didn't 3 HR's this post season
            Yea 'cuz' Carl Crawford did ****, played poorly, and earned $34m and is now making $20m/y. Have fun with that. **** that guy. 2.3 WAR over the last 3 years...he's made $23.6m per WAR. 1 WAR is worth $5m. Again, **** that guy. He sucks.

NEVER liked him, never will. I still can't believe he pulled that contract.
            Last edited by nepg; 10-20-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• I feel like the Puig stuff has been manufactured. I haven't really seen anything offensive or too bad when I watch him play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                I think I am above the petty Sox hater label...I'm not even a huge baseball guy until ~game 130 or so and I love Papi, so it's not a Yanks vs Sox thing. This whole Sox 'identity' just feels contrived this go around.
                So, you arrive during the season around the fifth inning? Classic Dodger fan lol.

Sorry Rob, couldn't pass that one up.
                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jcn92 View Post
                  I feel like the Puig stuff has been manufactured. I haven't really seen anything offensive or too bad when I watch him play.
                  I don't really pay attention to the guy because I could give two shits about the Dodgers, but the little bit I catch from people and the media just seems like more of the media generating **** that isn't there.

Comment

• As a Sox fan though I'm terrified of Wacha and Wainwright. They've been ridiculous thus far in the playoffs. Combined they've given up five earned runs and five walks and struck out 42. Wacha seems to be especially hot right now too.

Comment

• Meh. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. It's kind of ****** that the Cardinals get an extra day of rest, but the Series opens in Boston and both teams will get to reset their rotations, so it kind of evens out.

The Red Sox will certainly be favored, and as well as Wainright and Wacha are pitching, neither really holds a candle to Sanchez, Scherzer, or Verlander.

Comment

• Originally posted by BloodBrother View Post
                        I'd hate it if every player was a Brian McCann, who is apparently the unofficial policeman of baseball etiquette
                        leave brian alone!

he went to my high school and graduated with my sister! it's hard enough he's going to the rangers. the bald braves hold sacred the imaginary unwritten rules of baseball torah.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                          Meh. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. It's kind of ****** that the Cardinals get an extra day of rest, but the Series opens in Boston and both teams will get to reset their rotations, so it kind of evens out.
                          The rest doesn't really worry me, the Sox had to win the ALCS in seven games in 2007 and the Rockies swept the D-Backs in four and had all the time in the world to rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jcn92 View Post
                            The rest doesn't really worry me, the Sox had to win the ALCS in seven games in 2007 and the Rockies swept the D-Backs in four and had all the time in the world to rest.
                            The Rockies weren't a good team, though. Both they and the D-Backs were young, inexperienced teams that got to where they were from inexplicably lucky runs.

The Red Sox are, on paper, significantly better than the Cardinals. But that's why you play the game. The Red Sox had been benefiting from the rest difference so far this post-season (though it did nothing for them in Game 1 of the ALCS).

Comment

• On paper, they are significantly better? They both won 97 games. The Cardinals have the best starter, the hottest starter, and a bullpen that has only given up 3 runs and 2 of them by Mujica who hopefully will not see a mound again this season. Offensively, yeah I'd say the Sox prolly have the advantage. But I would not say significantly better.

Comment

• With that being said I do think the Red Sox should be favored. They are at home for the four games, which I say most of the time anyway. They have a great bullpen of their own and yes how can anyone hate Koji? The thing I question for the Sox tho is that they have an advantage on offense , but they lose a big bat in Ortiz or Napoli when it goes to St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information