MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    The puzzling part was why start the clock last year. If you feel he isn't ready to be handling your staff yet, that's fine. But then why start the clock last year.

He's obviously the future, but he could still get some seasoning in the minors. Sure he tore up A+ and AAA (in the few ABs he had there) but he still hasn't had a ton of time down there. Despite how amazingly ready everyone thought Matt Weiters was last year, he really didn't have all that better of a season than Molina.
    September call up does not count.

Comment

• Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
      September call up does not count.
      Well it does count. In the long run, you're right, it probably won't matter because when they call him again it will be for good. But now you have to use an option for him to send him down this year. Doesn't seem worth it considering they barely even used him when they called him up.

Comment

you must be talking to yourself.
        Buy a radar gun meat....

youre trying to tell me a guy that is throwing upper 9's is working 92-94. There is a big difference from 92 to 98. Im playing college baseball right now and could tell you that first hand...6 mph is a big difference....

You need to watch more baseball because you are talking out of your ass.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Nope, it is an outstanding decision. Molina handles pitching better. Posey is umm.. just a bat.
          Molina is meh to below-meh defensively, and may be the worst baserunner in the league. Molina's OBP in 2009? .285, For his career? .316.

As long as Posey bats similarly to Wieters last year, shows ANY patience, and actually resembles an actual athlete, he'll be better than Molina.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
            Molina is meh to below-meh defensively, and may be the worst baserunner in the league. Molina's OBP in 2009? .285, For his career? .316.

As long as Posey bats similarly to Wieters last year, shows ANY patience, and actually resembles an actual athlete, he'll be better than Molina.
            i dont think there is any doubt that Posey will end up being better than Molina...just as to how fast he can prove it.

I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
              i dont think there is any doubt that Posey will end up being better than Molina...just as to how fast he can prove it.
              A purely average catcher is probably better than Molina.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                A purely average catcher is probably better than Molina.
                very true....lol.

Posey will be the starting catcher by May :) lol

Comment

Well it does count. In the long run, you're right, it probably won't matter because when they call him again it will be for good. But now you have to use an option for him to send him down this year. Doesn't seem worth it considering they barely even used him when they called him up.

September callup never counts against clock or option. Giants will do what Orioles and Rays did with Wieters and Longoria.

Giants were in the contention. Since Posey wont be eligible for playoff if they made it, Posey was not the first catcher to replace Molina.

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                    Buy a radar gun meat....

youre trying to tell me a guy that is throwing upper 9's is working 92-94. There is a big difference from 92 to 98. Im playing college baseball right now and could tell you that first hand...6 mph is a big difference....

You need to watch more baseball because you are talking out of your ass.
                    I guess you cant tell what is difference between heavy and explosive fastballs.

Comment

September callup never counts against clock or option. Giants will do what Orioles and Rays did with Wieters and Longoria.
                      Actually you are wrong. You do gain service time in September. You just don't lose an option because once you get called up in September you stay on the team until the end of season or playoffs.

Comment

Actually you are wrong. You do gain service time in September. You just don't lose an option because once you get called up in September you stay on the team until the end of season or playoffs.
                        Posey could not because he was not eligible for playoff.

Posey had to be on 25 man roster to gain service time. He was not on 25 man roster at all. His service time remains zero but his statistic is still intact.

Comment

Posey could not because he was not eligible for playoff.

Posey had to be on 25 man roster to gain service time. He was not on 25 man roster at all. His service time remains zero but his statistic is still intact.
                          He wasn't eligible for the playoffs, but you can bend those rules and I'm sure they could have snuck him on had they made it. But he was on the active roster all of September and did gain service time. He has .033 service time for being on the active roster 33 days.

Comment

He wasn't eligible for the playoffs, but you can bend those rules and I'm sure they could have snuck him on had they made it. But he was on the active roster all of September and did gain service time. He has .033 service time for being on the active roster 33 days.
                            Does it mean he only needs 12 days this season to remove himself from rookie? I am not sure about that. He will have to stay on 25 man roster for 45 days this season to remove himself from rookie.

I could not find a good information about service time via google. If you have one, can you give me, please. thanks.

Only way for Posey to be on postseason roster is either catcher on 25 man roster is put on 60 day DL since NL roster is not as flexible as AL roster.

Comment

Does it mean he only needs 12 days this season to remove himself from rookie? I am not sure about that. He will have to stay on 25 man roster for 45 days this season to remove himself from rookie.

I could not find a good information about service time via google. If you have one, can you give me, please. thanks.

Only way for Posey to be on postseason roster is either catcher on 25 man roster is put on 60 day DL since NL roster is not as flexible as AL roster.
                              That is true about the postseason roster although I think they only have to put a catcher on the 15 day DL. Either way at that point of the season, the DL stint would end said catcher's season. Yankees certainly have fudged the DL rules before so they could have made something up.

I don't know the rookie rules. I think if he spends any time on the major league roster this year he wouldn't be rookie in 2011. Either way he's still a rookie this year and should see plenty of time in the majors.

As for service time, you gain it for every day you are on the major league roster. Whether thats on the 25 man before September 1 or the expanded rosters after September 1. Although when you reach a certain number of days (I think 172) it counts for a whole year and you stop gaining for that season despite there being 10 or so more days in the season.

Comment

That is true about the postseason roster although I think they only have to put a catcher on the 15 day DL. Either way at that point of the season, the DL stint would end said catcher's season. Yankees certainly have fudged the DL rules before so they could have made something up.

I don't know the rookie rules. I think if he spends any time on the major league roster this year he wouldn't be rookie in 2011. Either way he's still a rookie this year and should see plenty of time in the majors.

As for service time, you gain it for every day you are on the major league roster. Whether thats on the 25 man before September 1 or the expanded rosters after September 1. Although when you reach a certain number of days (I think 172) it counts for a whole year and you stop gaining for that season despite there being 10 or so more days in the season.

Yankees did that because they had Nady on 60 day DL. Yankees simply got OF speedster to take Nady's spot to be a bench player. OF replacing OF is all legal. lol.

Still dont get it about using service time to determine whether a prospect is still a rookie. Service time is much like a statistic. You cant hide them until a player becomes a veteran. Determining a rookie status is more of for eyes only crap. you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information