MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
    Yep. It's been awhile since I've looked forward to the trade deadline as potential sellers. This team just doesn't have it this year. First the offense was terrible, the pitching was average, and the defense was very good. Now the offense has been very good, the defense has been average, and the pitching has been terrible. Go figure.
    yep, usually i'm looking forward to all the rumors swirling about how we might go for this guy or that one, now i'm looking forward to seeing who we can get for who.

i've said this before, but i'll say it again - the majority of this team needs to go. keep martinez (dh), youkilis (1b/3b), pedroia, and ellsbury on offense. for the pitching staff, keep lester, beckett if he gets his act together (i might move him while i still can), lackey, bard, maybe papelbon, but i think the worth of the closer position is severely overrated unless your closer's name is mariano rivera.

i certainly left a few out, but for the most part those are the only guys that i think are worth having. try to pile up prospects who will be ready next year or the year after, and go from there. i'm also worried that our farm isn't nearly as good as past years.

Comment

• I just watched FSN Wisconsin's live replay of Trevor Hoffman's 3 run, no out, walk-off blown save today for the 2nd time. For some reason I could not peel my eyes from the horror.

I just finished Hoffman's eulogy and, am now scripting Prince Fielder's farewell letter...

Comment

• The age of the ***** athlete has been in full swing for a while, and Hanley Ramirez is keeping it going. Lost a lot of respect for him, shut up and admit you haven't been playing well even if you don't think you should be benched.

Comment

• Thank you Papelbon

Comment

• One night Thames' is the man, tonight he botched the catch and cost us.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
            Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
              Thank you Papelbon
              I can't believe they left Winn in to hit. I don't care how hurt Posada or Swisher are, they're still better than Winn.

Comment

• Sweet! Pirates AAA game is being broadcasted on MLBN tomorrow morning. I'm going to have to wake up to see it. I finally get to see Tabata and Pedro play!

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                  Sweet! Pirates AAA game is being broadcasted on MLBN tomorrow morning. I'm going to have to wake up to see it. I finally get to see Tabata and Pedro play!
                  Don't you usually watch an AAA team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                    Don't you usually watch an AAA team?
                    No because I don't get the games.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                      No because I don't get the games.
                      I think he was talking about the Pirates

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                      Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

• Think again Hines.

Comment

• I know he was talking about the Pirates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                            Thank you Papelbon
                            Most overrated closer in the game of baseball

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                              Most overrated closer in the game of baseball
                              It depends on how you view the closer position. In my opinion he's overrated as a reliever. He's not one of the top five relief pitchers in baseball like he is sometimes billed as. However, a closer's job is to get saves and Papelbon is one of the best at converting save opportunities. That's not really debatable.

Here are the 14 closers who have converted at least 40 saves since the start of the 2009 season and their save percentage:

Bell - 53 (86.9%)
                              Cordero - 52 (89.7%)
                              Rivera - 51 (94.4%)
                              Fuentes - 48 (87.3%)
                              Papelbon - 48 (92.3%)
                              Wilson - 48 (85.7%)
                              Aardsma - 47 (92.1%)
                              Franklin - 47 (88.7%)
                              Nathan - 47 (90.4%)
                              Broxton - 43 (84.3%)
                              Hoffman - 42 (82.4%)
                              Rodney - 42 (97.7%)
                              Rodriguez - 41 (82.0%)
                              Soria - 40 (88.9%)

In terms of coming into a save situation and converting, only Rivera and Rodney have been better. Sure, it's not always pretty when Papelbon is on the mound, but he gets the job done better than almost anyone. Now, the above study is certainly fuel to the notion that the closer position itself is overrated.

Comment

• One really good point that was made during the Sunday Night Baseball game between the Phils and Brewers was that sometimes the crucial outs come in the 7th or 8th inning, not the 9th. So, all bullpen positions can be crucial to the success of the team. The closer might get the glory, but the bridge/setup players are equally important. A great closer can be very helpful, but if you can't get to him, what's the point? Case and point: The 2009 Mets pitching staff was collectively weak in the 5th-8th innings. That was a significant reason why they had such a down year.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information