MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    One really good point that was made during the Sunday Night Baseball game between the Phils and Brewers was that sometimes the crucial outs come in the 7th or 8th inning, not the 9th. So, all bullpen positions can be crucial to the success of the team. The closer might get the glory, but the bridge/setup players are equally important. A great closer can be very helpful, but if you can't get to him, what's the point? Case and point: The 2009 Mets pitching staff was collectively weak in the 5th-8th innings. That was a significant reason why they had such a down year.
    this is what I've thought for some time now. i'd much rather have 3 rock solid relievers that i can use in innings 7, 8, and 9 where necessary than a fantastic reliever that i can use for one inning, maybe two (but then he's unavailable the next night). this is why i kind of hope boston trades papelbon, especially with his contract running out soon.

Comment

• I like the Pirates' backend of their bullpen. Meek, Hanrahan, and Dotel is pretty solid IMO.

Comment

• So i just caught Mike Golic ripping on Hanley Ramirez and I must say, good job Mike.
        Freddy has brass balls calling out someone like Hanley and was right to do so and Hanley was a spoiled baby brat afterward.
        Diva's like Hanley and the pre-conceived notion that they are bigger than the team are ********. People like that piss me off so much.
        It is why I hate Brandon Phillips so much and why I think Dusty Baker is only the third or fourth worst manager in baseball now.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
          So i just caught Mike Golic ripping on Hanley Ramirez and I must say, good job Mike.
          Freddy has brass balls calling out someone like Hanley and was right to do so and Hanley was a spoiled baby brat afterward.
          Diva's like Hanley and the pre-conceived notion that they are bigger than the team are ********. People like that piss me off so much.
          It is why I hate Brandon Phillips so much and why I think Dusty Baker is only the third or fourth worst manager in baseball now.
          I just heard it, and wow. He hit the nail on the head throughout the whole thing. I applaud Golic.

Comment

• ugh

Flyers shutout the Canadians
            Sixers get the #2 pick

and Roy Halladay loses to the Pirates

i be dammed......

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
              I just heard it, and wow. He hit the nail on the head throughout the whole thing. I applaud Golic.
              Hanley is a spoiled brat and I hate him now.
              This is what a true Me First player looks like and it seems like the players are backing Freddy and they seemed to do just fine without him the other day.

And this is why team chemistry matters. If Hanley goes south, I dont know if anyone is gonna try to pick him up because after all, no one else is as important to the team as him

bonekrusher
              The Twitters
              themaninblack

Comment

• Hanley is an a hole but I wouldnt mind him on the phillies LoL!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by fast_10 View Post
                  Hanley is an a hole but I wouldnt mind him on the phillies LoL!!!
                  He isn't a top tier pitcher so the phillies wont be trading for him.

bonekrusher
                  The Twitters
                  themaninblack

Comment

• I don't care how big Hanley's ego is, he's welcome in Detroit.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                      I don't care how big Hanley's ego is, he's welcome in Detroit.
                      One of the major reasons they traded Cabrera was so he didn't badly influence Hanley. Imagine them together still.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        One of the major reasons they traded Cabrera was so he didn't badly influence Hanley. Imagine them together still.
                        Leyland's biggest skill is managing egos, so I wouldn't be too worried.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
                          It depends on how you view the closer position. In my opinion he's overrated as a reliever. He's not one of the top five relief pitchers in baseball like he is sometimes billed as. However, a closer's job is to get saves and Papelbon is one of the best at converting save opportunities. That's not really debatable.

Here are the 14 closers who have converted at least 40 saves since the start of the 2009 season and their save percentage:

Bell - 53 (86.9%)
                          Cordero - 52 (89.7%)
                          Rivera - 51 (94.4%)
                          Fuentes - 48 (87.3%)
                          Papelbon - 48 (92.3%)
                          Wilson - 48 (85.7%)
                          Aardsma - 47 (92.1%)
                          Franklin - 47 (88.7%)
                          Nathan - 47 (90.4%)
                          Broxton - 43 (84.3%)
                          Hoffman - 42 (82.4%)
                          Rodney - 42 (97.7%)
                          Rodriguez - 41 (82.0%)
                          Soria - 40 (88.9%)

In terms of coming into a save situation and converting, only Rivera and Rodney have been better. Sure, it's not always pretty when Papelbon is on the mound, but he gets the job done better than almost anyone. Now, the above study is certainly fuel to the notion that the closer position itself is overrated.
                          I mean his numbers are good, but i guess i just dont like the way he throws. He goes out there and lives off his fastball, that isnt that good anymore, usually 92-94 and topping out around 96. He doesnt locate it, but thinks he can blow it by everyone who gets in the box. Idk, as a college pitcher i just get frustrated watching someone like that throw lol..

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                            Leyland's biggest skill is managing egos, so I wouldn't be too worried.
                            Yeah but how much longer will Leyland be there? Them batting together again is such a scary thought.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                              I mean his numbers are good, but i guess i just dont like the way he throws. He goes out there and lives off his fastball, that isnt that good anymore, usually 92-94 and topping out around 96. He doesnt locate it, but thinks he can blow it by everyone who gets in the box. Idk, as a college pitcher i just get frustrated watching someone like that throw lol..
                              He's just a lot more wilder than he used to be. And when he misses his spot, he really misses his spot. A lot of his balls are no doubters, that no one will swing at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                                He's just a lot more wilder than he used to be. And when he misses his spot, he really misses his spot. A lot of his balls are no doubters, that no one will swing at.
                                Yeah, well he really misses his spot alot. He doesnt spot up for dick.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                                I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information