• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Borat been during this weekend? :-D

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
      Where's Borat been during this weekend? :-D
      Hiding, crying, contemplating suicide. You know, the usual.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Wooooooo Ryan Doumit!!!

Comment

• David Freese!!!!!!!

.315 3 Hrs 28 RBIs - .372 BA with RISP!

5-5 BABY!

Comment

• ha Rick Porcello is a machine he's been hit by 3 line drive balls in less than 5 innings, and he's still pitching

Comment

• Silly Jonathan Sanchez. Don't you know you have to throw a shutout to get a no-decision for the Giants? These goofy kids these days.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Jose Bautista - 14 home runs

Comment

• Can someone explain the BABIP to me? everytime a pitcher has a low BABIP he's considered to be "lucky" but what if the pitchers a guy who pitches to contact?

I just get confused when guys throw out stats I have no idea what they mean. I remember last year people were saying Chris Carpenter was getting "lucky" and it was soooo frustrating.

Comment

• BABIP = batting average for balls put in play. Essentially the percentage of the balls that are put in play in fair territory that result in hits.

If someone is talking BABIP and implying the pitcher is getting lucky, they are saying that the pitcher is getting lucky and that an abnormal amount of the balls put in play are resulting in outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                      Jose Bautista - 14 home runs
                      Yup, I mean teh guy got hot at the end of last year but in no way did I expect it to carry over. The Jays may not keep it up but they are sure are fun to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                        Can someone explain the BABIP to me? everytime a pitcher has a low BABIP he's considered to be "lucky" but what if the pitchers a guy who pitches to contact?

I just get confused when guys throw out stats I have no idea what they mean. I remember last year people were saying Chris Carpenter was getting "lucky" and it was soooo frustrating.
                        A guy who pitches to contact still doesn't have any control on what's going on behind him defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                          Can someone explain the BABIP to me? everytime a pitcher has a low BABIP he's considered to be "lucky" but what if the pitchers a guy who pitches to contact?

Statistically, about 70% of balls hit into play should be converted into outs. That means most hitters should hit around .300 on balls hit into play and pitchers should have around a .300 average against on balls hit into play. Anything more than 20-ish points lower usually means a pitcher/hitter is lucky, plays with a great defense, or both. While anything more than 20-ish points higher usually means a pitcher/hitter is unlucky or plays with a poor defense.

EDIT: Go to Fangraphs and start clicking on different pitchers' statistics pages and you'll see. Almost all pitchers will have a career BABIP in the high .290's or low .300's. That's not a coincidence.
                          Last edited by P-L; 05-23-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                            Yup, I mean teh guy got hot at the end of last year but in no way did I expect it to carry over. The Jays may not keep it up but they are sure are fun to watch.
                            I wished Bautista hit like that in Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Nice series for the Mets. Some very tense moments but I'll take it.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
                                Statistically, about 70% of balls hit into play should be converted into outs. That means most hitters should hit around .300 on balls hit into play and pitchers should have around a .300 average against on balls hit into play. Anything more than 20-ish points lower usually means a pitcher/hitter is lucky, plays with a great defense, or both. While anything more than 20-ish points higher usually means a pitcher/hitter is unlucky or plays with a poor defense.

EDIT: Go to Fangraphs and start clicking on different pitchers' statistics pages and you'll see. Almost all pitchers will have a career BABIP in the high .290's or low .300's. That's not a coincidence.
                                Everything that P-L said is true.

However, let's also keep in mind there are a VERY few pitchers who (for whatever reason) have lower standard BABIPs than the average. I believe Greg Maddux is one of them, but we are talking small portion size any given year--like 3 or 4 active pitchers at any given time.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information