• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upton has a career .343 BABIP

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
      Upton has a career .343 BABIP
      It's different for batters. Upton is extremely fast, Crawford is extremely fast, has a career .331 BABIP, etc.

Comment

• Rod Carew had a BAPIP of .359. Great hitters find holes. They know how to hit balls over the infield and dump before or between the outfielders. They also keep square the ball up and don't often get underneath it to create easy outs. Weak pop ups don't find holes, lines drives and ground balls can.

You guys take the human aspect out of it too much. Not everyone should have a .300 BABIP with those higher or lower being lucky or unlucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
          It's different for batters. Upton is extremely fast, Crawford is extremely fast, has a career .331 BABIP, etc.
          For batters, speed plays into it as well as hit-type. Batters with more skill are able to hit more line drives which have a much higher bit percentage. Groundballs have higher percentages than fly balls and of course infield flies have almost no expected success rate.

Voros McCracken (pioneer for this type of study) gives a lot more leeway to batters in terms of controlling BABIP (again, based on hit-type and speed, not "placing the ball where you want it"). For pitchers, however, there are groundball tendencies and flyball tendencies. Groundballers are likely to have a slightly higher BABIP but should have a lower HR/9 while flyballers will not have as many balls drop in for hits but as a result of so many balls in the air they will allow a higher percentage of HRs.

Summary: Batters and pitchers are not on the same scale when evaluating BABIP.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            Rod Carew had a BAPIP of .359. Great hitters find holes. They know how to hit balls over the infield and dump before or between the outfielders. They also keep square the ball up and don't often get underneath it to create easy outs. Weak pop ups don't find holes, lines drives and ground balls can.

You guys take the human aspect out of it too much. Not everyone should have a .300 BABIP with those higher or lower being lucky or unlucky.
            No, Rod Carew was an incredible line drive hitter. Line drives have a more than 70% chance of falling in for a base hit. That's why his career BABIP is so high.

He wasn't some sort of "sniper" with the bat, he was an incredible hitter who made great contact, squaring up the ball very well which would result in all those line drives.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• I hate the last two games. Almost no-hit by Dice-K, shut down by Wakefield, and Halladay gets rocked.

Comment

• Someone posted on the Pirates message board that the beat writer for PPG said management is getting tired of Aki and Clement and changes will be made, which includes Tabata and Neil Walker coming up. That'd be awesome. Now let's bring up Lincoln as well.

Comment

• i'm going to predict boston's "hot streak" ends tonight. tampa bay :(

Comment

• Originally posted by sbh15 View Post
                    i'm going to predict boston's "hot streak" ends tonight. tampa bay :(
                    You'll probably beat Davis, if Lackey starts Wednesday, we'll beat him. So Lester Vs. Shields is going to be the important one.

Comment

• We need to seperate ourselves as much as possible from the Mets in the coming series so we can rest Halladay. He's on pace for 290 innings and already has 4 CG. Manuel needs to settle down and they need to talk one on one regarding who is in charge. Manuel has made mound visits time and time again where he would turn around and go back to the dugout leaving Halladay on the bump. There is no reason for him to be throwing 130+ pitch complete games against the Pirates in the middle of May.

The fans cheer every time Manuel leaves him out there but they have to realize the long term effect. We've worked him more than he's used to already and off the top of my head, he hasn't been to the playoffs. I want his arm to be electric in Sept. and Oct. and what we're doing right now doesn't spell that. He looked tired Sunday. It also doesn't help that the Red Sox have seen him before.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                        We need to seperate ourselves as much as possible from the Mets in the coming series so we can rest Halladay. He's on pace for 290 innings and already has 4 CG. Manuel needs to settle down and they need to talk one on one regarding who is in charge. Manuel has made mound visits time and time again where he would turn around and go back to the dugout leaving Halladay on the bump. There is no reason for him to be throwing 130+ pitch complete games against the Pirates in the middle of May.

The fans cheer every time Manuel leaves him out there but they have to realize the long term effect. We've worked him more than he's used to already and off the top of my head, he hasn't been to the playoffs. I want his arm to be electric in Sept. and Oct. and what we're doing right now doesn't spell that. He looked tired Sunday. It also doesn't help that the Red Sox have seen him before.
                        Halladay has traditionally been pretty good at handling abuse in his career, but what his arm is being put through is just absurd. I hope Philadelphia likes their one great year of Halladay.

Comment

Halladay has traditionally been pretty good at handling abuse in his career, but what his arm is being put through is just absurd. I hope Philadelphia likes their one great year of Halladay.
                          It's not really that big of a deal. Halladay (and to a lesser extent, Verlander) can handle that kind of abuse.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                            It's not really that big of a deal. Halladay (and to a lesser extent, Verlander) can handle that kind of abuse.
                            There's a breaking point somewhere. Apparently the phillies are willing to find it.

Comment

• It's like the Brewers-CC situation. Apparently the Phillies are under the impression they only get Halladay for 12 or so starts...

Which is awful news for my fantasy team. :(

Comment

There's a breaking point somewhere. Apparently the phillies are willing to find it.
                                He's averaging less pitches per start this year than Verlander has the last 2 years.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information