MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
    I don't think they would. I think they would accept ANY improvement over the current system. It doesn't make the playing field uneven to have more replay.
    Of course they would. They want to win and that would help them win.

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post

very jewy of him
      Are you ******* kidding me?

What the **** is that supposed to mean

Comment

• Just got home and saw sportcenter, wow I don't even know what to say. What a terrible call, but IMO you have to respect the way everyone handled it. Galarraga what a class act after the game, I would of probably killed someone.

In homer news.....

Cardinals signed Dominican Pitcher, Carlos Matias today to 1.5 million. Apparently he has a 97-99 mph fastball and it sits at 80 on a 20/80 scale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
          Jeez...why didn't you just say so instead of me arguing with you.
          Because I'm honestly infuriated that MLB won't do anything about this. You are allowed to take a stance and run with it and set a new precedence.

How many times in history have we seen such a historic event negated like it was tonight? We're talking about an occurrence (perfect game) that is independent of the win and the loss that goes in the standings. They are two separate things. One of them CAN BE CHANGED without taking anything additional away from anyone. The Indians don't get a double loss as a result of being no-hit. They stand to lose nothing more than the game.

On the other hand, you rob a player of a deserved, extremely rare accomplishment and the fans of witnessing said accomplishment. It's no different than in the NHL when a goal is scored, but it's not immediately known to the on ice officials. Play continues and the goal is reviewed at the next stoppage in play. When it's deemed a goal, time is put back on the clock and if a goal was scored in that "lost time" then it is negated. It isn't like baseball would be breaking some sort of law of sports to overrule something like this, that, I repeat, has no effect on the ultimate win and loss.

It's not like they blew a player's 3,000th career hit and he could just get that honor the next game or the next AB instead.
          R.I.P. L.E.F.
          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
            Because I'm honestly infuriated that MLB won't do anything about this. You are allowed to take a stance and run with it and set a new precedence.

How many times in history have we seen such a historic event negated like it was tonight? We're talking about an occurrence (perfect game) that is independent of the win and the loss that goes in the standings. They are two separate things. One of them CAN BE CHANGED without taking anything additional away from anyone. The Indians don't get a double loss as a result of being no-hit. They stand to lose nothing more than the game.

On the other hand, you rob a player of a deserved, extremely rare accomplishment and the fans of witnessing said accomplishment. It's no different than in the NHL when a goal is scored, but it's not immediately known to the on ice officials. Play continues and the goal is reviewed at the next stoppage in play. When it's deemed a goal, time is put back on the clock and if a goal was scored in that "lost time" then it is negated. It isn't like baseball would be breaking some sort of law of sports to overrule something like this, that, I repeat, has no effect on the ultimate win and loss.
            You are continously mixing up instant replay and retroactively changing the game the day after

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
              You are continously mixing up instant replay and retroactively changing the game the day after
              Don't do it the next day, do it ******* immediately. It's not like there was doubt at first and we needed hours to mull over the potentially bad call.

I'm merely presenting further evidence that MLB wouldn't be compromising itself to change a ruling like this one and set new precedent.
              R.I.P. L.E.F.
              "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Congratulations on your pretend perfect game Armando Galarraga

Comment

• What's with all the no-hitters and perfect games so early in this season? This has to be some kind of record.

Comment

• it would of been, but Mr. Joyce didn't think so

I think it has a lot to do with the end of the steroid era

Comment

• if i were a fenikz sports fan i would have killed my self already, also I would probably burn LA to the ground and every1 from it

Comment

• sir its only a matter of time before your scum town is devoured by the Pacific and I go swimming in Arizona Bay
                        Last edited by fenikz; 06-03-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• James Joyce needs to stick to poems, cause he cant ump for ****

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                            I think it has a lot to do with the end of the steroid era
                            But pitchers did steroids too. In fact, if you went by the minor league numbers (as they have a longer track record of testing) more pitchers than hitters took them

I think it is just a cycle. All sports go through them, and for that matter everything does. We just happen to be in a time where many great young pitchers like Lincecum, Cain, Wainwright, Hernandez, Jimenez, etc. to go with a bunch of current and in their prime great pitchers like Halladay, Sabathia, Santana (although he is seemingly declining, still really good though), Haren, Lee, Verlander. There are also guys like Strasburg, Price, Hughes, Kershaw, Hanson, etc. who can get there and join those lists.

Also, this isn't exactly a replay of the mid-60's. Ubaldo is not going to end the season with a 0.88 ERA, or even 1.12. The AL batting champ won't hit .302. There are a bunch of guys on pace to hit 30 plus bombs this year. It's just that we had two really great pitchers go nuts and one mediocre pitcher had the day of his life.

www.blackmetalink.com
                            VOTED BEST TATTOO SHOP IN CLEVELAND

Comment

• I'm about to head up to Buffalo to see Stephen Strasburg pitch his final Minor league game before he goes up to the Majors. I'm pretty excited to see him pitch.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

• Originally posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
                                James Joyce needs to stick to poems, cause he cant ump for ****
                                Voted the best umpire 2 of the last 9 years.
                                One of the most respected umpires in the MLB.

It's like saying Ed Hochuli needs to stick to working out because he blew the call he did.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information