No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, I still see no problem with ruling it an umpire error and recording it as a 28 out perfect game. My anger is pretty much gone and I'm to the point where I'm alright with it, but this is still a solution.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• What I don't get it is there have been playoff games, which to me have way more signifigance where bad plays were made not even close to this type of outrage was showed. A perfect game is an incredible individual achievement but getting games right in the playoffs has way more to do with the heart of the sport. If nobody is going to make a big stink during a playoff game then you have to calm down on this. I was real pissed at this at first but now so many ridiculous things have been said by people who don't even like baseball that it's starting to get on my nerves.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Baltimore still is pissed about the Jeffrey Maier play, so I wouldn't say it's going to be as big as that for instance.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          Baltimore still is pissed about the Jeffrey Maier play, so I wouldn't say it's going to be as big as that for instance.
          It's ok Orioles fans should know that I got their back one day in regards to that. Also, if they don't make replay official after something like that then this can't have as big of an outrage.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
            Baltimore still is pissed about the Jeffrey Maier play, so I wouldn't say it's going to be as big as that for instance.
            And wouldn't you think if Selig was going to invoke this "best interest of baseball" bs, that would have been a more appropiate time to do so. If you are going to do this for Gallaraga, where do you stop?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Peefs????? View Post
              Ive avoided this thread/discussion because thoughts of last nights game leave me with a stomach pain. However, your argument against fixing it is... 'well theyve made bad calls in the past, so thats a good enough reason to continue to allow bad calls to happen'. Thats basically the gist of it, no? Pretty lame argument if you ask me.
              They've made bad calls this season that have affected wins and losses. If you are going to fix this game, you have to go and fix those too. No?

Comment

• The best interest of baseball begins with further advancing of instant replay, and it needs to happen immediately. There is no reason for Bud to need time for this ********, it's an easy fraking decision and he's only delaying because he's a stupid coward.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I'm actually suprised this didn't happen to a Mets pitcher. It would have made so much more sense if it did to our no hitter cursed ballclub.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• If he didn't do it in 95 he's definitely not doing it for this.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                      They've made bad calls this season that have affected wins and losses. If you are going to fix this game, you have to go and fix those too. No?
                      You have to start somewhere. Unfortunately Bud Selig and the mlb share this odd logic of yours, bringing up past mistakes to try and explain why other mistakes shouldnt be corrected. It would be nice if next time one of these calls affected a win or loss there was a system set in place to fix it, don't you think? Or you can continue to stick to your guns and every time a fixable mistake occurs you can just rant about other mistakes as a rather sad excuse to leave things as they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        What I don't get it is there have been playoff games, which to me have way more signifigance where bad plays were made not even close to this type of outrage was showed. A perfect game is an incredible individual achievement but getting games right in the playoffs has way more to do with the heart of the sport. If nobody is going to make a big stink during a playoff game then you have to calm down on this. I was real pissed at this at first but now so many ridiculous things have been said by people who don't even like baseball that it's starting to get on my nerves.
                        I think you take it one step at a time. Fixing a "fixable" mistake like last night is easier than fixing something with implications independent of the simple win and loss that results from a game.

What bothers me is the notion that every past injustice would need to be reconsidered and changed as a result of implementing a new precedent now.

Yes, it's a crying shame that the outcome of significant games has been effected in the past, but why do baseball purists (or just disgruntled, argumentative people) have to demand we stick to a past precedent?

Declare a new standard for reviewing blown calls (while detailing what is reviewable and what is not) and move forward to a new era of better baseball.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• He doesn't even have to bring up past mistakes, as a second base ump cost the Twins a game right after the Galarraga disaster. Combining that with the insanely stupid Sean Rodriguez call, and it's a catastrafuck of calls in one day that just shows REPLAY IS NEEDED.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Wow, Nerv and I just posted the same damn thing.
                            R.I.P. L.E.F.
                            "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by El Peefs????? View Post
                              You have to start somewhere. Unfortunately Bud Selig and the mlb share this odd logic of yours, bringing up past mistakes to try and explain why other mistakes shouldnt be corrected. It would be nice if next time one of these calls affected a win or loss there was a system set in place to fix it, don't you think? Or you can continue to stick to your guns and every time a fixable mistake occurs you can just rant about other mistakes as a rather sad excuse to leave things as they are.
                              Well if thats the case you have to institute instant replay like some are advocating. You cannot go back and change anything in the past including this game. And when you do institute replay, you have to do it during the offseason. Either way there will always be mistakes. NFL refs get calls wrong even with replay.

Comment

• I'm not against making replay more a part of the game it just has to be a system that won't kill the game completely. More and more people are turned off by baseball because of the length of the game and adding replay would add even more time. If they did do that they would have to install new rules to make sure that a large amount of time would not be added to the games. No more batters getting out of the box every pitch and so on.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information