MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Well if thats the case you have to institute instant replay like some are advocating. You cannot go back and change anything in the past including this game. And when you do institute replay, you have to do it during the offseason. Either way there will always be mistakes. NFL refs get calls wrong even with replay.
    So why bother at all then, eh? Lets just go with the old stick to tradition baseball way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
      I'm not against making replay more a part of the game it just has to be a system that won't kill the game completely. More and more people are turned off by baseball because of the length of the game and adding replay would add even more time. If they did do that they would have to install new rules to make sure that a large amount of time would not be added to the games. No more batters getting out of the box every pitch and so on.
      Blown calls could also extend games. Another batter had to come to the plate last night = time to review the play.

Comment

• There was a 5 minute delay in the Fish/Brewers game tonight because the umps had a discussion if a Marlins runner deserved an extra base on a wild pitch that went into the dugout or not. Replay isn't going to slow down baseball much if at all. It's dumb to not have it on replays other than HRs. It's inexcusable to have easily reviewable calls get blown because people are too stubborn to take 90 seconds to look at a replay and the ******* call right.

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

Well if thats the case you have to institute instant replay like some are advocating. You cannot go back and change anything in the past including this game. And when you do institute replay, you have to do it during the offseason. Either way there will always be mistakes. NFL refs get calls wrong even with replay.
          It's more difficult to determine plays in the NFL on replay than in baseball, where it's pretty damn easy. Again, a fifth umpire in his own little video booth correcting judgment calls that the other umps have to make while they have an earpiece would be much shorter than coaches coming out and arguing.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by El Peefs????? View Post
            So why bother at all then, eh? Lets just go with the old stick to tradition baseball way.
            Sounds good to me. It's worked for 100 years. And baseball is doing as well as ever.

Comment

• I still say you can change the Armando call. Yes, it would be contrary to past controversies that were not called, but again, this call is independent of wins and losses. It is a play that is not comparable to anything else we've seen in history.

Please don't let this ignite another lengthy debate over this. I never for a moment thought that Selig would actually overturn the ruling today, but it is within his power to do so. It's a ******* perfect game wiped away. It's an isolated moment in history that was negated. It's just a black eye on a sport that's been dragged through the mud too many times in recent years.
              R.I.P. L.E.F.
              "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                Someone on ESPN was making the point that Jim Joyce will be more affected by than Armando in the long run. If Selig changed the call it would save Joyce from all the things he's going to get everyday in other parks and not to mention his whole life. Selig should change it for Joyce and not GaGa.
                Apparently he's already gotten death threats called in at his house. Obviously that's just nut job fans, but it only takes 1.

Comment

• Havent read this drawn out conversation...but traditions aside, a lot of people are just worried that this will greatly extend the games, and it just wont. We're talking a matter of single digit minutes, if anything. It's not like we're going to need 5 reviews per game...the vast majority of games, still wouldnt even see any reviewed calls. A few extra minutes, a small price to pay for getting things correct.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

Sounds good to me. It's worked for 100 years. And baseball is doing as well as ever.
                    You're just saying that because the Yankees get more calls than any team in baseball (see: Mauer "foul ball" and Jeffrey Maier).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• What about the around the bag plays at 2nd that everyone makes? Would you guys think those all of a sudden those become reviewed? Stolen base attempts? I could go on and on. Adding replay would certainly add more time to the game. As I said that would be fine but you need to get rid of things also then. The 5th umpire thing makes the most sense to me but it would add some time.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        What about the around the bag plays at 2nd that everyone makes? Would you guys think those all of a sudden those become reviewed? Stolen base attempts? I could go on and on. Adding replay would certainly add more time to the game. As I said that would be fine but you need to get rid of things also then.
                        NO IT WOULDNT WITH A FIFTH UMPIRE WATCHING SEVERAL TV'S AND COMMUNICATING THROUGH A HEADSET. WOULD YOU LISTEN GF, IT'S LIKE IM SPEAKING ON DEAF EARS HERE.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• It would have been truly unbearable to have slowed that 1 hour and 44 minute game to a complete halt for 3 minutes last night.

God, I bet everyone would have just shut off their televisions and radios and went to do something productive with their lives. Gotta balance that check book and mow the lawn sometime, am I right?!

Would have been a damn shame for all of those paying customers to have had to wait 30 ******* seconds to have the satisfaction of a correctly called play.

[/sarcastic rant]

In all seriousness, replay wouldn't slow down the games at any significant rate. I have never once complained about the length of a baseball game and I doubt I ever will.

You could easily balance any potential delays by simply limiting the number of (unnecessary) mound visits.
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.
                          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                            I still say you can change the Armando call. Yes, it would be contrary to past controversies that were not called, but again, this call is independent of wins and losses. It is a play that is not comparable to anything else we've seen in history.

Please don't let this ignite another lengthy debate over this. I never for a moment thought that Selig would actually overturn the ruling today, but it is within his power to do so. It's a ******* perfect game wiped away. It's an isolated moment in history that was negated. It's just a black eye on a sport that's been dragged through the mud too many times in recent years.

Comment

Not allowing blacks to play worked for 50 years too. Just because something is tradition shouldnt mean its acceptable.

Comment

• With the way college football does it where every play is immediately reviewed and Brodeur's 5th ump can call down when he sees something that needs to be overturned it wouldn't take that much extra time, probably less time than it would take for the manager and player to whine for no reason.

That is correct comahan
                                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                                <3 dg

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information