No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyways, that gif of the Strasburg curve is almost as insane as that spring training curve gif of Kershaw from a few years back. Who's got the better hammer?
    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• I don't get all the hoopla about Strasburg's debut. How can 0 for 2 on two groundouts be considered anything special? Can you say O-VER-RA-TED?
      I'm a state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
        Does Super 2 really make that much of a difference for a player like Joyce anyway. Its not like he is going from 400k to 5 million.
        IT MATTERS TO ME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
          My head hurts....there are people alive in this world who think Adam Dunn is a "sure fire" HOF member.
          If he can somehow muster about 180 homers in the 4-5 years he has left in him, sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
            If he can somehow muster about 180 homers in the 4-5 years he has left in him, sure!
            That honestly makes me sick that an arbitrary number will get him in despite his general uselessness in the field and in any clutch situation

bonekrusher
            The Twitters
            themaninblack

Comment

That honestly makes me sick that an arbitrary number will get him in despite his general uselessness in the field and in any clutch situation
              If he can get to 500 homers with an OPS around .900 or so it's tough to make an argument, even WITH defense(clutch isn't/shouldn't be a factor for anything, in a perfect world.) that he shouldn't be in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                Brennan Boesch > Strasburg > Stanton

3 Run Homer
                AWESOME! When I was out we were losing 2-1 late in the game. I think Boesch has a better shot at ROY over Jackson right now. Austin is in a nasty slump.

Jose Valverde - 24.1 IP, 0.37 ERA
                Last edited by Scotty D; 06-09-2010, 12:48 AM.

Comment

If he can get to 500 homers with an OPS around .900 or so it's tough to make an argument, even WITH defense(clutch isn't/shouldn't be a factor for anything, in a perfect world.) that he shouldn't be in.
                  It should factor in big time IMO.
                  Why shouldnt it? Its a huge part of the game.
                  Dunn is great at hitting HR when your team is up already (yeah he hits the occasional GW) He has never showed desire to get better in the field, he has never lived up to potential. 500 HR, a .250 avg and no real accolades to speak of, shouldnt get him in. I am not saying he wont but he shouldnt. The baseball HOF is so jacked up.

bonekrusher
                  The Twitters
                  themaninblack

Comment

It should factor in big time IMO.
                    Why shouldnt it? Its a huge part of the game.
                    Dunn is great at hitting HR when your team is up already (yeah he hits the occasional GW) He has never showed desire to get better in the field, he has never lived up to potential. 500 HR, a .250 avg and no real accolades to speak of, shouldnt get him in. I am not saying he wont but he shouldnt. The baseball HOF is so jacked up.
                    First of all, when you're breaking down a player by how "clutch" he is, you're basically just using about half(Maybe less?) of a player's career as a barometer. Wacky things can happen in 200-300 PA sample sizes.

Fun Fact! Derek Jeter has a negative "clutch"(Using fangraphs wpa based clutch stat) in the playoffs! Only playoff performers get to go to the hall of fame!

PS: Can we please stop using batting average please? Please?

Comment

First of all, when you're breaking down a player by how "clutch" he is, you're basically just using about half(Maybe less?) of a player's career as a barometer. Wacky things can happen in 200-300 PA sample sizes.

Fun Fact! Derek Jeter has a negative "clutch"(Using fangraphs wpa based clutch stat) in the playoffs! Only playoff performers get to go to the hall of fame!

PS: Can we please stop using batting average please? Please?
                      stop with the saber metric crap. Watch a game.
                      Im not saying to only mention his clutch but in his case, a severe lack of it.

And if BA doesnt matter, every kid should swing for the fences every time. Who gives a rats ass if you only hit .100 if 1/10 ABs is a HR in that case a season of 400 AB is 40 HR = HOF

bonekrusher
                      The Twitters
                      themaninblack

Comment

• This is strictly for Hines

Cameron Maybin (Tigers) vs. Andrew McCutchen (Pirates): These high school center fielders went back-to-back, with Maybin going tenth and McCutchen going 11th. The early returns suggest that the Tigers made a poor choice here, though they ultimately packaged Maybin in a deal for Miguel Cabrera, so they're not exactly complaining. McCutchen has hit since he arrived in Pittsburgh last season, and a 23-year-old with an .847 OPS in his first 733 major league plate appearances stands an awfully good chance of being an elite player for years to come. Maybin is still immensely talented, and could turn into a star- but McCutchen already is one. Pirates win- how often do you get to read that?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...throwdown.html

bonekrusher
                        The Twitters
                        themaninblack

Comment

stop with the saber metric crap. Watch a game.
                          Im not saying to only mention his clutch but in his case, a severe lack of it.

And if BA doesnt matter, every kid should swing for the fences every time. Who gives a rats ass if you only hit .100 if 1/10 ABs is a HR in that case a season of 400 AB is 40 HR = HOF
                          "Watch a Game."

Never watched a baseball game before, guys.

Well, Adam Dunn also gets base on a .400 clip. It's not about swinging for the fences, it's getting on base.

Comment

"Watch a Game."

Well, Adam Dunn also gets base on a .400 clip. It's not about swinging for the fences, it's getting on base.
                            And yet for 7 years in Cincinnati he was largely a failure because he could never produce in big games, cost us a ton in LF, refused to move to 1B, was more concerned hitting more HR than JR. When a double would win it for us he would still try to hit it 450 ft rather than go opposite field with a hit when they put his shift on.
                            Waiting 7 years to "get it" and still suck in key moments. (Last I heard he was 0-24 so far with RISP and 2 outs)

And I wasnt saying you have never watched a game. I was referring to your blind love of those goofy stats that cannot actually be considered 100% accurate yet your dismissal of the batting average.
                            I was saying watch a game. Dont rely on those numbers. Jeter has come up HUGE in big situations. I have seen him do it. In 7 years of seeing nearly every game, can very rarely recall Dunn doing anything.

"Its not about swinging for the fences, its about getting on base"
                            Well funny thing is, for 7 years Dunn was more concerned about swinging for the fences. There were several interviews and articles about how he wouldnt change his approach to help the team he wanted to hit his HRs. If you're closing a game, I would walk Dunn, not because I am "afraid of him" but because if he does hit it, and thats a big if, it might go out more often than a lot of people. Thats how he gets so many walks. Trust me. No one really "pitched around" Adam Dunn. Maybe a few times when JR was hurt and we had scrubs out there.

bonekrusher
                            The Twitters
                            themaninblack

Comment

"Watch a Game."

haven't you heard though? Adam Dunn is a base clogger... can't have that.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

And yet for 7 years in Cincinnati he was largely a failure because he could never produce in big games, cost us a ton in LF, refused to move to 1B, was more concerned hitting more HR than JR. When a double would win it for us he would still try to hit it 450 ft rather than go opposite field with a hit when they put his shift on.
                                Waiting 7 years to "get it" and still suck in key moments. (Last I heard he was 0-24 so far with RISP and 2 outs)

And I wasnt saying you have never watched a game. I was referring to your blind love of those goofy stats that cannot actually be considered 100% accurate yet your dismissal of the batting average.
                                I was saying watch a game. Dont rely on those numbers. Jeter has come up HUGE in big situations. I have seen him do it. In 7 years of seeing nearly every game, can very rarely recall Dunn doing anything.

"Its not about swinging for the fences, its about getting on base"
                                Well funny thing is, for 7 years Dunn was more concerned about swinging for the fences. There were several interviews and articles about how he wouldnt change his approach to help the team he wanted to hit his HRs. If you're closing a game, I would walk Dunn, not because I am "afraid of him" but because if he does hit it, and thats a big if, it might go out more often than a lot of people. Thats how he gets so many walks. Trust me. No one really "pitched around" Adam Dunn. Maybe a few times when JR was hurt and we had scrubs out there.
                                when was the last time Cincinnati was in a big game?

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information