MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen someone use the word "sabbaticals" on here.

As for the sporadic post performance...probably not going to change any time soon.
    I'm just not important anymore? I see how it is.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Matt Carson what were you thinking?
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Tough break for the Cardinals in the 9th inning. Down 4-3 with two outs and Pujols on 1st, Molina hits a ground-rule double. Pujols would have scored no doubt about it. Randy Winn grounded out to end the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
          Bad news....

You're getting shut out by the 0-8 Kenshin Kawakami. That mother ****** cant even speak english.

lol.

Chappelle's Show reference. Anyone? Anyone?
          good thing no AZ team ever loses to ATL

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
            Why do the Red Sox have Joe Nelson? He's awful.
            Why do they have Boof Bonser?

Comment

• I haven't followed baseball much since the days of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa and even then I was just a kid watching baseball with my dad. Can someone give me an idea of how this Strasberg kid measures up to other pitching prospects of the recent past (for example Kerry Wood)?

I get that he throws fast, but does he have the fastest pitches in decades? 100 mph is high but I didn't think it was unbelievable. Is his hype based more on his combo of speed and arsenal of pitches?

Comment

• Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                I haven't followed baseball much since the days of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa and even then I was just a kid watching baseball with my dad. Can someone give me an idea of how this Strasberg kid measures up to other pitching prospects of the recent past (for example Kerry Wood)?

I get that he throws fast, but does he have the fastest pitches in decades? 100 mph is high but I didn't think it was unbelievable. Is his hype based more on his combo of speed and arsenal of pitches?
                100 is pretty unbelievable. It would probably be the best fastball for starting pitchers. Either him or Ubaldo Jiminez. The best part of it, is that he maintains that speed deep into games. And his breaking balls have ridiculous movement.

Comment

• 100 isn't very impressive in itself but the way that Strasburg and Jimenez are able to hit 100-101 on the guns in the 6th, 7th inning while maintaining control is what makes it. Zumaya can wind up and throw as hard as he can every pitch because he's a 1, maybe MAYBE 2 inning pitcher. Same with Feliz, at least at this point in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                    100 isn't very impressive in itself but the way that Strasburg and Jimenez are able to hit 100-101 on the guns in the 6th, 7th inning while maintaining control is what makes it. Zumaya can wind up and throw as hard as he can every pitch because he's a 1, maybe MAYBE 2 inning pitcher. Same with Feliz, at least at this point in his career.
                    Justin Verlander?
                    I'm a state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                      Justin Verlander?
                      Him, too. I wasn't going to name off every single starter that can do it. Randy Johnson did it too back in his day. Nolan Ryan, as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                        Him, too. I wasn't going to name off every single starter that can do it. Randy Johnson did it too back in his day. Nolan Ryan, as well.
                        That's why I wondered about this. I thought Randy Johnson did this routinely and I don't remember him getting as much hype. Maybe he did and I just didn't notice. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch Strasberg's career develop.

Comment

That's why I wondered about this. I thought Randy Johnson did this routinely and I don't remember him getting as much hype. Maybe he did and I just didn't notice. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch Strasberg's career develop.
                          Randy Johnson also took a bit of seasoning before he could throw pitches for strikes consistently. Strasburg can harness his stuff right now. Randy was 26 when he finally put is all together. Even later, he didn't stop all the walks until his late 20's. Strasburg is 21 and can potentially dominate already.
                          Last edited by Jughead10; 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            Randy Johnson also took a bit of seasoning before he could throw pitches for strikes consistently. Strasburg can harness his stuff right now. Randy was 26 when he finally put is all together. Even later, he didn't stop all the walks until his late 20's. Strasburg is 21 and can potentially dominate already.
                            Let's hope he can play at such a high level for a long time. It would be a shame if he flamed out too quickly.

Comment

• 100 MPH is great and all, but the movement on all of Strasburg's pitches is aboslutely filthy.

Comment

The hype is just more widespread because of the internet and such, as well as how little time it took Strasburg to get here. Johnson certainly was a household name when he was doing this, and is a guaranteed hall of famer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information