MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
    Did I miss a memo or something? Is this "pick on the Mets" day? :)

Ok then you guys should trade for these top pitchers if your prospects are so much superior.
    I think the Mets have a pretty solid system, I just don't know why you had to bring up Kirk Nieuwenhuis.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
      mortgage their farm for players like Santana.
      Yeap, that's what happened.

Comment

Did I miss a memo or something? Is this "pick on the Mets" day? :)

Ok then you guys should trade for these top pitchers if your prospects are so much superior.
        My team doesn't need it. Although I wouldn't mind trading for someone like DeJesus. That's who I want this deadline season.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
          That's how Dave Littlefield drafted. I hated it.
          Say what you want, but some of the talent he drafted is now in the majors. Part of your current core that will help the Pirates become less crappy.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

No you certainly didn't mortgage the farm there. Santana was a gift to get him out of the AL. None of those prospects were ever good. The system wasn't great before that and it really didn't take much of a hit after.

Comment

Say what you want, but some of the talent he drafted is now in the majors. Part of your current core that will help the Pirates become less crappy.
              Yes I know. The first rounders were usually good, but later on the draft wasn't that good although he had some gems here and there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                I think the Mets have a pretty solid system, I just don't know why you had to bring up Kirk Nieuwenhuis.
                He needs refinement in various areas, but scouts love him. I've read several quotes of praise for him.

I'm not the only one who thinks he has high upside.

Comment

Deolis Guerra could still turn out all right...

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The Mets could have better players in their farm, but their organizational philosophy prevents them from capitalizing on this talent. Look at the Red Sox. They have just as much money as the Mets, yet their farm system churns out studs across the board. No reason why the Mets couldn't do this.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Pagan has been a decent player this year, but seems to be a guy having his best year with the bat. Just have fun while the ride is ongoing. It is rare for a guy to be about 29 and suddenly have a career renaissance, it could happen as its not unprecedented, but it is unlikely. Don't go all Gary Matthews Jr. on him, and ride the next year or maybe 2 out.

Also, as a Clevelander I really love when a New York team complains about needing cost controlled talent.

www.blackmetalink.com
                      VOTED BEST TATTOO SHOP IN CLEVELAND

Comment

• Nothing wrong with having cost-controlled talent, no matter what your revenues. Those guys are essentially pure profit. Gives you flexibility to spend on holes...

Comment

The Mets could have better players in their farm, but their organizational philosophy prevents them from capitalizing on this talent. Look at the Red Sox. They have just as much money as the Mets, yet their farm system churns out studs across the board. No reason why the Mets couldn't do this.
                          The reason why the Red Sox have studs in their system is because they're willing to spend money in the draft for top players and go out in the International circuit and spend top dollar on them.

With Omar as GM for the Mets, I don't think I've seen that.

Comment

• Mets farm system isn't bad.

They have PLENTY of high upside prospects. Granted, most of them are International signings, but oh well.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having cost-controlled talent, no matter what your revenues. Those guys are essentially pure profit. Gives you flexibility to spend on holes...
                              You can't be not loving seeing a team who can give a huge Contract to Jason Bay, when they already have a few guys with big deals complain about cost controlled talent like they have a 45 million dollar budget

www.blackmetalink.com
                              VOTED BEST TATTOO SHOP IN CLEVELAND

Comment

• I'm a Phillies fan, and my team had a cost controlled budget for years. Then they started drafting better (see: Hamels, Happ, Utley, Rollins, Rolen, Burrell, Victorino, Howard, Myers, Madson, etc.) and paid to retain the talent.

Philly isn't the same as a town like KC, where the population is smaller, so it's a bit of a special case. Still, teams can win by building through the draft. See: Florida and Tampa.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information