MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
    What are you talking about with Mejia? If he makes the opening day roster then he'll be added to the 40 man obviously which then starts his clock. By the time he'll be ready to be a full time starter he'll be arb eligible or 1 year away from it.
    Precisely. Although Mejia is the favorite Mets have time to find one for setup job. If Mejia is already on the 40 man roster then we are stuck with it. So you have a hope.

Comment

• That's just one part of the problem. He's not going to be the setup man either. He's going to be a 6th or 7th inning guy.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
        I agree, but ATL is a pessimist and putting GMJ in at CF fits his mold of thinking.

Jerry just said that they are both switch hitters, so he's going to go with the hot hand to start the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
          That's just one part of the problem. He's not going to be the setup man either. He's going to be a 6th or 7th inning guy.

To start off the season, yeah he is a mid reliever. Hey, Marlins release MacDouglas. He could be a good pick up although he walks too many hitters.

Comment

• Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
            Adding Mejica to 25 man roster is a big mistake. Too late now.

My new solution for Mejica is to use his fastball and cutter for setup job this year. 2 innings for most of time can get it done if he keeps pitch count low. Next year, Mejica is moved into long reliever / mop up duty and works on breaking ball excessively. He can be used as a starter for emergency only. Should up to 120-130 innings in sophomore campaign. In his third season as a major leaguer, he becomes a full time 5th starter.
            Yeah. I have to STRONGLY disagree with you there.

Here are several reasons:

1. Mejia's biggest problem right now is that he tends to overthrow his pitches, which is something I HIGHLY doubt will be fixed if he pitches as a reliever in the Majors.

2. The route of MiLB Starter -> MLB Reliever -> MLB Starter very rarely works. Young Pitchers learn to use max delivery and rely on 1 or 2 pitches. These habits are difficult to get rid of later and usually they just remain as relievers.

3. I wonder if Manuel has ever heard of "changing speeds" pitching philosophy. If Mejia goes the whole season without using his secondary pitches, then you can pretty much forget about him ever developing them.

Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
            If Mejica struggles mightily then he opts back to double A immediately and starts to work on breaking ball as a starter. In that case, you better pray for Mejica not to lose composure or feeling on the mound.
            4. Yeah, then you may as well just send him to Independent Leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
              Yeah. I have to STRONGLY disagree with you there.

Here are several reasons:

1. Mejia's biggest problem right now is that he tends to overthrow his pitches, which is something I HIGHLY doubt will be fixed if he pitches as a reliever in the Majors.

2. The route of MiLB Starter -> MLB Reliever -> MLB Starter very rarely works. Young Pitchers learn to use max delivery and rely on 1 or 2 pitches. These habits are difficult to get rid of later and usually they just remain as relievers.

3. I wonder if Manuel has ever heard of "changing speeds" pitching philosophy. If Mejia goes the whole season without using his secondary pitches, then you can pretty much forget about him ever developing them.

First of all, it is not my initial plan. I merely create a new plan just in case if Mets actually add him to 25 man roster.

I dont recommend any off speed at all. He should focus on FB and cutter as for a set up job this year. He can start to work on off speed or refining breaking ball next year as a long reliever.

For all pitchers who overthrow on FB should not add offspeed for MLB level because it will destroy confidence quick. Offspeed will be added when the time is right.

Once the delivery is finished on fastball and cutter, he can add off speed or refine breaking ball with that delivery. That is only a way if he is actually on MLB roster. Otherwise, he can modify anything in the minor level.

Comment

• Breakout predictions?

What player(s) will break out this season?
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• I could not find any update on Rafael DePaula. What gives? Twitter has to go.
                  Last edited by YotoJets007; 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                    Breakout predictions?

Carlos Gonzalez should be one of them.

Comment

Breakout predictions?

Lastings Milledge.

Comment

Breakout predictions?

AL Rookie of the year Brian Matusz

Comment

Breakout predictions?

maybe THIS will be the year for Alex Gordon

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                            Lastings Milledge.

Sure, you did not mean McCutchen? Anyway, he is a good candidate.

Daniel McCutchen won a starting job. Congrats. He hailed from Yanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by YotoJets007 View Post
                              Sure, you did not mean McCutchen? Anyway, he is a good candidate.

Daniel McCutchen won a starting job. Congrats. He hailed from Yanks.
                              Still cannot believe the Pirates got two good starters and a very good prospect in Tabata for Marte and Nady.

Comment

• I'm going to stray away from the homer trend we have going here and say Julio Borbon.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information