MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the dude View Post
    so...I just bought tickets for mets - nationals on october 3rd. I've never seen a baseball game in my life, but roughly understand the rules. My question is: What should i know about the mets and their season so far?
    We suck. Mostly all of our younger players have been playing. Our SP are pretty good though so maybe you'll see a low scoring game. CitiField is really nice so make sure to enjoyt that. Eat at all the different places around the stadium.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
      Not surprising that a Yankee fan is hating on Pavano but he's been great all year and there isn't really any reason to believe he's going to all of a sudden drastically decline.

And regardless of whether or not Burnett pitches the same goes for Hughes. He's been painfully average since his hot start.

I'm not saying I'm super confident about our rotation past Liriano but to act like the Yankees have a far superior rotation is just flat out wrong.
      I don't think our rotation is better. I think its on par. Especially with Pettitte back. His excellence has been overlooked all season. But I just think our whole team is better. This notion that this is somehow a special Twins team has just been getting to me. I just think all the other AL Central teams are bad this year. I'm pretty torn on whether I want the Yanks to win the division or not. On one side I want the Twins in the first round over Texas. But on the other, I think the Rays beat either of those teams too and I want 4 games at home for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodapoop View Post
        And outside of the closer, the Twins may have the better bullpen. Now, I'd take Rivera over Capps, hell u'd take Rivera over any1. But the Twins set up people maybe better than the Yankees set up people.
        Maybe, but not by much.

Logan has been pretty good and Wood has been surprisingly solid. Plus Vasquez or Hughes will help the pen a little.

The lack of Marte hurts, but they'll still get 7+ out of C.C. twice in each series, and the key is just bridging to the 9th, which is lights out obviously.
        "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
          I don't think our rotation is better. I think its on par. Especially with Pettitte back. His excellence has been overlooked all season. But I just think our whole team is better. This notion that this is somehow a special Twins team has just been getting to me. I just think all the other AL Central teams are bad this year. I'm pretty torn on whether I want the Yanks to win the division or not. On one side I want the Twins in the first round over Texas. But on the other, I think the Rays beat either of those teams too and I want 4 games at home for them.
          The lineup the Yankees put out the other night is absolutely unfair.

Jeter
          Swisher
          Tex
          A-Rod
          Cano
          Posada
          Berkman
          Granderson
          Gardner

Put that up against any other lineup in the AL and it's not even debatable.

And even if you make the argument that the Rays, Twins, or Rangers have better staffs, it's not overwhelming by any stretch.

Yankees are and should be, huge favorites.

But hey, anything can happen.
          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• And Cargo went 2-5 with 6 RBI and another stolen base last night.

However, it clearly doesn't help his MVP candidacy at all because:

-They lost 10-9 in a game where he went three whole at-bats without a hit.

-Sure it was on the road, but it was Arizona - a hitter's park with a terrible bullpen. The only stats that truly matter come in pitcher's parks against good pitchers.

He now leads the NL in batting average and RBI.
            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
              The lineup the Yankees put out the other night is absolutely unfair.

Jeter
              Swisher
              Tex
              A-Rod
              Cano
              Posada
              Berkman
              Granderson
              Gardner

Put that up against any other lineup in the AL and it's not even debatable.

And even if you make the argument that the Rays, Twins, or Rangers have better staffs, it's not overwhelming by any stretch.

Yankees are and should be, huge favorites.

But hey, anything can happen.
              Two things about that. If Girardi feels obligated to start Cervelli when Burnett or Huges pitch, I hope he DHs Posada. There's no doubt he's better than Berkman. Berkman has sometimes hit 6th ahead of Posada and that's driven me crazy. The notion that we need a catcher on the bench is ridiculous. If in the small chance Cervelli gets hurt, forfeit the DH for that game. We have plenty of options on the bench to pinch hit. Especially if we carry 5 or even 6 bench players.

The other thing is that Marcus Thames has been huge for us. In the past we've been too lefty heavy and lefty pitchers have had their way with us. Thames will start at DH against all lefties and gives us that other big righty bat in the middle besides A-Rod.
              Last edited by Jughead10; 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• In Felix Hernandez's 12 loss, the Mariners have scored 14 runs. Are you kidding me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                  Two things about that. If Girardi feels obligated to start Cervelli when Burnett or Huges pitch, I hope he DHs Posada. There's no doubt he's better than Berkman. Berkman has sometimes hit 6th ahead of Posada and that's driven me crazy. The notion that we need a catcher on the bench is ridiculous. If in the small chance Cervelli gets hurt, forfeit the DH for that game. We have plenty of options on the bench to pinch hit. Especially if we carry 5 or even 6 bench players.

The other thing is that Marcus Thames has been huge for us. In the past we've been too lefty heavy and lefty pitchers have had their way with us. Thames will start at DH against all lefties and gives us that other big righty bat in the middle besides A-Rod.
                  1 - I don't know. I don't think he wouldn't because of the catcher issue, I just think he likes Berkman a little. Berkman can't hit righty these days so he'd be strictly a bench player if he didn't DH against righty's (because as you say, Thames MUST DH against all lefties). He's hit a little of late, and I think most Yankee fans are frustrated, but the scary thing is that this team has so many role players I could see coming up huge in a big spot (Thames, Berkman, Kearns, Gardner) regardless of what they've done in the regular season.

When you are worried about Berkman/Posada - that's a good sign for your team....
                  "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                    And Cargo went 2-5 with 6 RBI and another stolen base last night.

However, it clearly doesn't help his MVP candidacy at all because:

-They lost 10-9 in a game where he went three whole at-bats without a hit.

-Sure it was on the road, but it was Arizona - a hitter's park with a terrible bullpen. The only stats that truly matter come in pitcher's parks against good pitchers.

He now leads the NL in batting average and RBI.
                    Carlos Gonzalez at Petco Park:
                    .316 avg, .350 OBP, .553 Slg.

Cargo is just an odd dude.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• It's going to be a Yankees/Phillies rematch this year but the Phillies are going to win this time.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        It's going to be a Yankees/Phillies rematch this year but the Phillies are going to win this time.
                        Yeah I'm really scared of the Phillies cause of Oswalt. We won last year because of two main reasons. Manuel's stupid move to not send Lee out on short rest to stay matched up with CC. They couldn't beat us with any of their other pitchers. If Lee had won game 4 and the series was 2-2, anything could have happened and maybe the could have sent Lee back out in game 7 for the win.

The other reason was Howard's absolute inability to hit against any lefty pitching we sent out there. That was embarassing.

Comment

• Yeah the Phils have the pitching depth this year to take anyone down. Their offense is still just as good also so all they have to worry about is their bullpen.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
                            In Felix Hernandez's 12 loss, the Mariners have scored 14 runs. Are you kidding me?
                            That's why he'll win the CY, BBWAA have circle jerks on stats like that.

Comment

• And I hate Kevin Kennedy even more today. I was I could mute just him when I watch Rays games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                                Yeah the Phils have the pitching depth this year to take anyone down. Their offense is still just as good also so all they have to worry about is their bullpen.
                                Note that the Phils are hitting this hot with Wilson Valdez at SS and Rollins on the pine. Agree that the bullpen is the potential weak spot, but right now, Lidge is throwing well and with confidence. Just want to get Halladay some extra rest now and in the offseason. Worry about him next year after he might end up throwing almost 300 innings this year...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information